• Announcements

• Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
The Dryad

Vegan News

m4rble

You suck at Cooking is hilarious. 

Karacoreable

Hi! Found an amazing website: minimalist baker. She does lots of gluten free stuff which is what I need, but a lot of it is vegan too so I thought I'd drop by and mention it! Never had one of her recipes go wrong, the pizza is possibly the best thing ever. Way better than normal pizza even if it is gluten free! And her vegan chocolate hazelnut cake is just to die for.

I do love vegan baking. It's so cool. So unbelievably clever!

Zosia

Here's a relevant vegan news website. I've known about it for a while, but I don't visit it much. I keep thinking of posting it, but I've forgotten until now. Maybe it will interest someone?

http://vegnews.com/

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered, if anybody is interested in finding vegan art supplies, here are two sites that offer them...

http://www.colorsofnature.com/

https://www.naturalearthpaint.com/

Zosia

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, so how about some peanut butter cookies?

Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies

(makes about 8 cookies)

2a4u90n.jpg

Ingredients:

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup (to 1 cup) of raw sugar or other sweetener (depends on how sweet you want these cookies)

2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

1 cup of whole wheat flour or other flour of your choice

1 teaspoon of baking soda

1/8 teaspoon of salt

1/4 cup of water or plant milk

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

2. In a large bowl, cream together the peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla extract

3. In a second bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt

4. Slowly add the flour mixture to the creamed peanut butter mixture and mix until crumbly

5. Add in the water or plant milk until the crumbly mixture is softer

6. Roll mixture into disks and place on cookie sheet (they won't flatten out much in the oven so make them close to how thick you want the cookies to be)

7. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until they are just starting to turn golden around the edges (they cook fast so be careful!)

m4rble
On 7/12/2017 at 3:06 PM, m4rble said:

I read that fish cravings could be a sign of not getting enough vitamin D or K. I put my meals into chronometer for a few weeks and I seem to consistently be low in vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium. (even when I'm not completely vegan) I started supplementing vitamin D and calcium.

Well, I got tested and I was low in vitamin D. I guess I didn't get as much sun this summer as I should have. I guess I should start supplementing for it more regularly. 

Skycaptain

@m4rble, you raise a good point about vitamin D, and this applies to most people, not just vegans. Because of the risks of UV radiation, not only do we avoid the sun, use sunscreen etc, but car glass is now less transparent to UV, shopping malls mean now time outside going between shops etc. In some countries they're starting to advise taking a D-vitamin supplement almost as a matter of course 

m4rble
10 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@m4rble, you raise a good point about vitamin D, and this applies to most people, not just vegans. Because of the risks of UV radiation, not only do we avoid the sun, use sunscreen etc, but car glass is now less transparent to UV, shopping malls mean now time outside going between shops etc. In some countries they're starting to advise taking a D-vitamin supplement almost as a matter of course 

This is true. I don't think most people are getting a lot of vitamin D from animal products anyway unless they're eating a lot of fatty fish or liver. Other foods are fortified with vitamin D, whether vegan or not. 

Menadena
On 5/16/2017 at 8:38 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

PETA are definitely not good, they kill healthy dogs to 'save' then from being loved pets.

I agree completely. Myself and other vegans I know always wince whenever peta does pretty much anything. We know people who LOVE to argue with us will just use whatever. Veganism is trying to take itself seriously and peta is not helping.

Zosia
On September 3, 2017 at 11:02 AM, KaraH said:

I agree completely. Myself and other vegans I know always wince whenever peta does pretty much anything. We know people who LOVE to argue with us will just use whatever. Veganism is trying to take itself seriously and peta is not helping.

Amen to that. A few years back, PETA got a booth at a fair here (which was primarily only attended by people involved in ag) and they were doing some kind of "Wheel of Torture" stint. They're such a laughing stock and don't know when to quit.

Zosia

Found this video and had to share it. It’s so weird it’s funny. 😂 

flagsforhippos

I have a jar of tempeh that's been sitting in my cupboard for months. I bought it thinking it would be a good step away from vegetarian products like quorn and help me incorporate something vegan into my diet. Anyone know the best way to cook it?

Amnesiac

I marinade tempeh before cooking in a pan, I’m sure there’s other ways but I use it a lot in curries and this works best for me :) 

Ume_Chika

Anyone tried the Frys family vegan meat substitutes. My fav is the fake chicken strips and the fake battered prawns. 😁

flagsforhippos
17 hours ago, Ume_Chika said:

Anyone tried the Frys family vegan meat substitutes. My fav is the fake chicken strips and the fake battered prawns. 😁

Yes, I love the asian spiced burgers. Shame Fry's products aren't available in more shops.

Zosia

Just found this website and I thought I would share with whoever. It’s got recipes, interviews, book recommendations, etc. Interesting light read.

http://www.thevintagevegans.com/

Skycaptain

So I've been told, today is World Vegan Day, so here's a vegan 🎂 🎂:cake::cake: emoji or two 

flagsforhippos

If only I'd know about these ↑ a few days ago, I could have toasted them on the bonfire :wacko:

Never mind, I can put them in my Christmas cocoa :D

200 Ponies

Just found this thread, and I'm so happy to find other vegan aces/aros/however you guys identify!

Not sure if this site has been mentioned before, but The Vegan Stoner ( http://theveganstoner.blogspot.com/ ) is such a great place to find simple recipes. I'm super lazy and don't feel like cooking most of the time, so their simple recipes are the best. They have more complex ones, too, which are also delicious! I bought their cookbook and recommend them 100%.

Let me know if you guys have any other simple but tasty vegan recipes! I saw someone mention the Minimalist Baker earlier and they're amazing too. :D

flagsforhippos
4 hours ago, 200 Ponies said:

The Vegan Stoner

I can see some fun simple recipes I can try out, thanks for the link

...quite relieved that they don't end each recipe with "then simply garnish with a little sprinkling of hash" :P