Vegan News

The Dryad

Perissodactyla

In my long experience as a vegan, my health, happiness, cheerfulness and humor have had a much more persuasive affect on people considering becoming vegetarian or vegan rather than preaching to them about moral principals. For me, making moral judgements based on a moral ideology that is obvious to oneself, but kooky or extreme to others, is for me just not very practical in showing people that being vegan for many years doesn't make you sick and weak necessarily... and it doesn't make you into a moralizing warrior necessarily. It's moral to focus on healthcare and quality of food production, of course. No one can really oppose those values.

I am strongly influenced by Jainism, so for a few years, I adopted the Jain view of the hierarchy of life, respect for life and avoiding causing injury to life. So for 3 years I stopped eating roots, since strict Jains include micro-organisms, worms and insects as important to protect. But after 3 years, since I enjoy eating roots and also think they are healthy/medicinal, I ignored the morality of killing caused by consuming roots, and began including them in my diet again. I still feel guilty, when I eat roots, by the way, but I ignore this feeling, and am a bit mindful of a little sadness at  my choice.

For many years I avoided honey and bee pollen, since there is injury there, too, plus one is consuming body parts of bees, as well, of course.

I stay vegan out of a deep sense of commitment to being loving and harmonious with all life as opposed to exploiting life because it tastes good. And while this may be described as a moral attitude, I really think it's just logical. If I felt I had to kill an animal because I needed to eat it, I would. But such an act would be very traumatic, regretful and also make me fear the negative karma I had set in motion by separating my soul from other souls... out of temporary delusion of thinking it was justified.

I also try to eat organic and local, but being a purist vegan can be expensive, and there are often too many yummy foods which are very nutritious than may have questionable growing practices (herbicides, pesticides), the treatment of the workers and the pollution cased by transporting the food to where you can buy it.

I've grown a ton of vegetables in the past few years in raised veggie beds, which I feel is one of the best ways to attune to the environment and life. I think growing your own food is the ideal of an honest relationship with food and everything, and in contrast... buying food has a bit of violence embedded into it, although that is another extreme ideal which is not so practical in the modern world. If you grow your own food, often you produce much more than you can consume, so you can just give it to your friends and neighbors.

I'll just add that I'm fruitarian for months at a time, although only in the spring and summer, when it's warm enough. Consuming only the reproductive parts of plants given freely is the most nonviolent and harmonious way to feel one with nature. And it has a discernible effect of purifying ones loving and peaceful heart. I know many strictly raw food vegans, but the longest I've been able to stay raw is 9 months before I feel very cold and weak... despite the overall feeling of intense harmony with nature. Obviously many people seem to do just fine as raw foodists for years, it seems. But I feel that for some the heat in cooked foot is itself a healing energy that we can strongly benefit from.

I have several friends who are or who have been animal-rescue people, but it's just not my thing. And practically speaking, I just feel that preaching morality is egotistical at some point. Plus there's just not that much to talk about. Killing is just wrong and unnecessary, obviously. I guess the fact that it's unnecessary motivates me and others much more strongly than the moral judgements and preaching.

Do make sure, fellow vegans, that you're getting all your nutrients, or in a few years you may realize people look at you as weak, sickly and kooky with an attitude.

And don't forget to get your blood panels. You may well be deficient. Or you can take counter-measures now to avoid becoming deficient.

Perissodactyla

As far as new thinking and breakthroughs regarding how veganism is conceptualized and practiced, the concept 'carnism' has a lot to offer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnism

https://www.carnism.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanie_Joy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_We_Love_Dogs,_Eat_Pigs,_and_Wear_Cows

"The term carnism was coined by social psychologist Melanie Joy in 2001 and popularized by her book Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows (2009)."

I am rather late in discovering this view, only finding it presented since just last month, so I can't say much more right now than that it appears to add a lot to the discussion.

I guess there's another set of concepts emerging regarding 'nutritarianism' and 'bio-hacking', which might also be useful perspectives.

All new ways of thinking seem to call into question the assumptions we all carry... and maybe help us communicate among ourselves and also to those who haven't the advantages in their lives to become a little more self-aware about what they eat and why.

"Proponents of the abolitionist theory of animal rights, such as Gary L. Francione, do not accept the concept of carnism as they believe it indirectly supports the animal welfare position by neglecting to call for the immediate rejection of all animal use and for not explicitly promoting veganism."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_L._Francione

Francione is known for his work on animal rights theory, and in 1989, was the first academic to teach it in an American law school.

10 hours ago, euco said:

This discussion thread started out in a promising way, I thought, but it turned its attention to animal rights -related issues instead.

Please return to focusing on 'scientific, recipes, vegan breakthroughs, etc.'

I spend a lot of time exploring various 'super-foods', both in natural form and as extracts. If people want to talk about scientific studies of the experience of consuming 'super-foods' and the effects that are claimed, that is one topic I'd be very interested to read about and share.

I would think that animal rights related issues could safely be discussed in this thread, no? Wouldn't it be included under the "etc." part of OP's first sentence? Personally, I think that animal rights and veganism go hand-in-hand, but the other aspects of veganism are worthwhile discussing, too (like the health and environmental arguments).

4 hours ago, euco said:

In my long experience as a vegan, my health, happiness, cheerfulness and humor have had a much more persuasive affect on people considering becoming vegetarian or vegan rather than preaching to them about moral principals. For me, making moral judgements based on a moral ideology that is obvious to oneself, but kooky or extreme to others, is for me just not very practical in showing people that being vegan for many years doesn't make you sick and weak necessarily... and it doesn't make you into a moralizing warrior necessarily. It's moral to focus on healthcare and quality of food production, of course. No one can really oppose those values.

That's good to hear that you've found positive and effective ways to influence the people around you. In my experience, in the many years of being either a vegetarian or vegan (I'm going to abbreviate this to "veg*n" from now on to encompass both), I've found that those around me are unpersuaded to change by just seeing me do well on a veg*n diet. Maybe your intention is not to influence others to eat less meat/consume fewer animal products...? But, for me it is (at least with my family--I haven't brought up the subject with other people unless it's online, and then very rarely); just "leading by example" doesn't seem to spark any change. It barely gets those I know to acknowledge that veg*nism is do-able. They're still quick to tell me how inherently unhealthy they think veg*nism is despite what I've shown them to the contrary. They don't seem interested in or moved by health arguments. I don't really know what would make the biggest impact on them (or other people), though--the best results that I've gotten so far have been family members saying that they'll no longer serve turkey/ham on Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter, and I feel like that was due to bringing up the ethics side of the argument and also providing viable alternatives and making them as easy and convenient to procure and prepare as possible. Other than that, my family is pretty unreceptive to change. So, maybe for some, "lifestyle activism" and discussing health benefits work, and for others, arguing the ethical or environmental sides yield the best results?

About your comment about Melanie Joy--I think she did a Ted Talk a while back on the subject, and she has a channel on YouTube with a few videos on it discussing her theories, if you're interested in hearing more of what she has to say. Yes, Gary Francione has another school of thought, as does Peter Singer and Tom Regan. I think they're probably the most well-known, and they all have different theories and approaches to animal rights (not saying that I personally endorse any of them, I'm just pointing them out). It would be interesting to hear people talk about and critique their positions on animal rights and welfarism, though.

Oh, and also for anyone else who is interested: I found this site recently that lists out the top arguments on both sides of the discussion when considering whether or not a person has any moral responsibility to giving up meat.

http://vegetarian.procon.org/

I keep thinking of other things to mention...sorry for the multiple posts in a row! :ph34r:

The comment on "carnism" reminded me of another similar term called "anthropocentrism". Here's a video that I found explaining it. (I don't know much about this guy Gary Steiner so don't hold it against me for linking a video of him if he turns out to be an oddball in other videos! And this is also not a personal endorsement of his views, I'm just offering this up for possible discussion). I'm curious to know what other people think of what he has to say.

Perissodactyla
1 hour ago, Zosia said:

I would think that animal rights related issues could safely be discussed in this thread, no? Wouldn't it be included under the "etc." part of OP's first sentence? Personally, I think that animal rights and veganism go hand-in-hand, but the other aspects of veganism are worthwhile discussing, too (like the health and environmental arguments).

Sure. I'm sorry. It's just that I don't have any ambition to change people, mainly because I know they won't change. So I'm apathetic from frustrated experience in taking moral positions which mostly lead nowhere towards changing people's behavior. So I mostly don't care, but I am more keen to discuss tips on being more mindfully vegan. People are just addicted to meat: how it tastes, how it makes them feel, how it's embedded in social and cultural norms and givens/assumptions. And I personally don't have the temperament to be preachy and I'm cautious for a long time to not let my veganism transform me into a religious warrior, which is what it can easily do.

It's kind of like making the decision to become an elf or other fey creature that is attuned to subtler vibrations that others just do not sense at all. Like people are color-blind, so how can they understand color if you describe it to them with words? People eat meat, so how can they understand gentleness and empathy and morality and justice? Good luck trying.

Also I just become really sad and depressed when I think about the situation. It's just sad, and I turn away from moral confrontations since I feel I'm just arguing with stupid people who disgust me. lol  And then I regret the feeling of pride or righteousness that sets in inevitably. I used to be a lot like that, but it made me very unhappy and alienated. Now I take a sort of bodhisattva style based on equanimity and dispassion.

There are so many things in this world that are really impossible to take. I watched a documentary last week, The Hunting Ground (2015) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunting_Ground   about sexual assault on college campuses and organizing against it not be acknowledged and moreover, systematically covered-up by university administrations.

http://endrapeoncampus.org/

It made me consider how carnism and sexual assault have some similarities. People are in denial about their attitude which condones exploitation, cruelty and injustice, but these attitudes are ubiquitous to the max. **Screams**

I guess I also wondered what kind of activism I would prioritize in my own life, although I feel the topics are somehow interrelated.

So, maybe for some, "lifestyle activism" and discussing health benefits work, and for others, arguing the ethical or environmental sides yield the best results?

Well, even if you speak with people with moral sensitivity, they have very strong ingrained habits whose assumptions are unquestioned. And they really have never thought of the possibility of a diet without flesh, eggs, dairy.

Some people are sincere to learn and other are just not. It's like eating pistachios. Always go for the open ones first.

About your comment about Melanie Joy--I think she did a Ted Talk a while back on the subject, and she has a channel on YouTube with a few videos on it discussing her theories, if you're interested in hearing more of what she has to say. Yes, Gary Francione has another school of thought, as does Peter Singer and Tom Regan. I think they're probably the most well-known, and they all have different theories and approaches to animal rights (not saying that I personally endorse any of them, I'm just pointing them out). It would be interesting to hear people talk about and critique their positions on animal rights and welfarism, though.

These theorists are all pretty new to me, largely since I long ago shifted my attention to nutrition and karma theory , rather than outreach and debate.

Back to practicalities, I have learned a lot about plants' nutritive and medicinal qualities, and can identify many plants in the wild which I will gather at the appropriate time of season. Plants are really sentient themselves plus there are subtle energies surrounding the plants which sometimes seem a bit anthropomorphic. That's the mystical, intimate, personal dimension of plant-human interaction which I hold dear and central. So as one becomes more intimate with the wild nature, one tends not to look back. It's almost as if being vegan is a gradual speciation process... which is why I'm curious about the relation to DNA and the plants one collects and eats, as it implies symbiotic intimacy along a vast evolutionary trajectory. Fun! :)

Perissodactyla
40 minutes ago, Zosia said:

I keep thinking of other things to mention...sorry for the multiple posts in a row! :ph34r:

The comment on "carnism" reminded me of another similar term called "anthropocentrism". Here's a video that I found explaining it. (I don't know much about this guy Gary Steiner so don't hold it against me for linking a video of him if he turns out to be an oddball in other videos! And this is also not a personal endorsement of his views, I'm just offering this up for possible discussion). I'm curious to know what other people think of what he has to say.

Really good. This in turn reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_ecology

Interesting points with good points, I've actually researched Jainism, Buddhism, and Carnism a few years ago, I'm pretty happy to see that they were brought up.

Jainism is actually one of my favorite religions, because they literally do as little harm as possible, I wish the rest to the world would behave that way, perhaps it would be a better place? but I digress...

When I think of Carnism, I can't help thinking of Christianity and the "carnal desires" mentioned,and why some Christian monks are vegetarian and vegan to begin with- they believe that consuming the bodies of animals is something like an "original" sin of sorts- the doorway to carnal acts, like sins of flesh, murder, anger, drunkenness, etc. I didn't know about Carnism when I was first transitioning, but it was something that I had been thinking about early on as both a Christian and baby vegetarian.

Perissodactyla

You've all given me a lot to think about. It's very good timing, too, as the summer approaches and it's much easier to be in nature and travel than during previous months, of course.

Like with engaging with any huge ideal, cause, project, movement or whatever that one takes very personally, meaningful and important, sometimes it's very sensible to take a rest from one's activism and for a while become more reflective and contemplative about the outcomes of previous learning processes, actions and expected versus actual results. I suppose I'm sort of in that frame of mind at the moment, although I didn't realize it until just recently.

I guess that since I really live my veganism as a basis for my world-view and participation with reality, I find myself wondering from time to time if I am doing enough and what the right thing to do is. To approach a sense of this requires sometimes taking a bit of distance to what one thinks one is doing and thinking, and trying to remember and be a little critical of past efforts and the wisdom one has gained by those efforts ---> what has one learned? how would one proceed, if one continued in a more focused, heartful way?

Anyway, this and the other vegan thread have had a big waking-up-affect on me. lol

https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/154769-vegan-tells-me-i-am-an-addict/

(the Other vegan thread, of course)

On 5/18/2017 at 5:31 PM, euco said:

I am strongly influenced by Jainism, so for a few years, I adopted the Jain view of the hierarchy of life, respect for life and avoiding causing injury to life. So for 3 years I stopped eating roots, since strict Jains include micro-organisms, worms and insects as important to protect. But after 3 years, since I enjoy eating roots and also think they are healthy/medicinal, I ignored the morality of killing caused by consuming roots, and began including them in my diet again. I still feel guilty, when I eat roots, by the way, but I ignore this feeling, and am a bit mindful of a little sadness at  my choice.

For many years I avoided honey and bee pollen, since there is injury there, too, plus one is consuming body parts of bees, as well, of course.

I stay vegan out of a deep sense of commitment to being loving and harmonious with all life as opposed to exploiting life because it tastes good. And while this may be described as a moral attitude, I really think it's just logical. If I felt I had to kill an animal because I needed to eat it, I would. But such an act would be very traumatic, regretful and also make me fear the negative karma I had set in motion by separating my soul from other souls... out of temporary delusion of thinking it was justified.

I also try to eat organic and local, but being a purist vegan can be expensive, and there are often too many yummy foods which are very nutritious than may have questionable growing practices (herbicides, pesticides), the treatment of the workers and the pollution cased by transporting the food to where you can buy it.

I've grown a ton of vegetables in the past few years in raised veggie beds, which I feel is one of the best ways to attune to the environment and life. I think growing your own food is the ideal of an honest relationship with food and everything, and in contrast... buying food has a bit of violence embedded into it, although that is another extreme ideal which is not so practical in the modern world. If you grow your own food, often you produce much more than you can consume, so you can just give it to your friends and neighbors.

You bring up many interesting concepts and good points to keep in mind. I've heard of Jainism, but I admit that I don't know much about it. :blush: I think it's intriguing how similar Jainism and veganism are in terms for respect for life. If I were looking to learn more about Jainism, where would be a good place to start?

I like your outlook on growing your own food. I recently started trying to plant a garden (I had never really done anything like that before--I just started last year, so this year is my second year doing it). Though, I don't have a yard that I can dig up, so I've just been growing what I can in containers on my front stoop (which isn't much at the moment). I agree that I feel much more attuned to the environment and life, as you say, even though I haven't been able to do much so far. I think it's brought out a more nurturing and protective side of me? If that makes sense? I enjoy seeing my little plants grow, it makes me happy. :D I've also tried to become more educated on our industrial food production system; as you say, there are so many problems with it. And I also like the sense of community that gardening can instill in people. Helping one another out and sharing what you have seems to really bring people together.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:39 PM, euco said:

Sure. I'm sorry. It's just that I don't have any ambition to change people, mainly because I know they won't change. So I'm apathetic from frustrated experience in taking moral positions which mostly lead nowhere towards changing people's behavior. So I mostly don't care, but I am more keen to discuss tips on being more mindfully vegan. People are just addicted to meat: how it tastes, how it makes them feel, how it's embedded in social and cultural norms and givens/assumptions. And I personally don't have the temperament to be preachy and I'm cautious for a long time to not let my veganism transform me into a religious warrior, which is what it can easily do.

It's kind of like making the decision to become an elf or other fey creature that is attuned to subtler vibrations that others just do not sense at all. Like people are color-blind, so how can they understand color if you describe it to them with words? People eat meat, so how can they understand gentleness and empathy and morality and justice? Good luck trying.

Also I just become really sad and depressed when I think about the situation. It's just sad, and I turn away from moral confrontations since I feel I'm just arguing with stupid people who disgust me. lol  And then I regret the feeling of pride or righteousness that sets in inevitably. I used to be a lot like that, but it made me very unhappy and alienated. Now I take a sort of bodhisattva style based on equanimity and dispassion.

I understand the frustration--I feel it, too. I think that a lot of vegans do. For me, instead of becoming so depressed at the situation that it taints my view of other people, I tend to think that it's my fault that they don't "get it" and that I'm the one to blame for not finding the right formula that will help people understand the importance of this subject. I probably take on more responsibility onto my shoulders than I should, and it's an unhealthy habit that I'm looking to find a way to fix in myself. It's not a good head-space to be in. It's really easy to feel like it's a hopeless cause, but I think that there is an inherent goodness in other people. Maybe I'm naive, but I really think that people are fundamentally kind, compassionate, empathetic, and selfless. We're just also very deeply flawed at the same time. And so many other things get in the way of our compassion for others. I don't blame other people for their actions; this framework of belief that animals exist for us is so deeply ingrained in society and has been a part of human culture for such a long time, and using animals is so tied up with our sense of self, it's no wonder that it's so difficult for a person to shake off. And I also can't blame them because I was in their shoes once, too. But, I think of all the different ways that society has changed over time, how it's evolved, how things that once must have seemed so permanent and unalterable have changed. And I find hope that the kind of unthinkable violence that we inflict onto animals won't be like it is forever.

On 5/19/2017 at 0:07 AM, euco said:

Really good. This in turn reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_ecology

I hadn't heard of that concept before, but it really resonates with me (as does that video that I linked, upon further contemplation). Will have to do more thinking and researching about both subjects.

4 hours ago, euco said:

Like with engaging with any huge ideal, cause, project, movement or whatever that one takes very personally, meaningful and important, sometimes it's very sensible to take a rest from one's activism and for a while become more reflective and contemplative about the outcomes of previous learning processes, actions and expected versus actual results. I suppose I'm sort of in that frame of mind at the moment, although I didn't realize it until just recently.

I guess that since I really live my veganism as a basis for my world-view and participation with reality, I find myself wondering from time to time if I am doing enough and what the right thing to do is. To approach a sense of this requires sometimes taking a bit of distance to what one thinks one is doing and thinking, and trying to remember and be a little critical of past efforts and the wisdom one has gained by those efforts ---> what has one learned? how would one proceed, if one continued in a more focused, heartful way?

Good words of wisdom. ^_^ I hope you arrive at the conclusion that makes you the most happy.

The cheapest, safest, most economical and environmentally friendly way to be vegan, and try to make sure you get all your minerals and nutrients in this day and age, is to grow your own food-either by backyard (my family did this for years when we owned our own land, we spent little money on groceries, it was glorious) or by a community garden or co-op, even farmer's markets (depending on how they're grown).

However, I'm not quite sure what the most ethical way to grow them is, admittedly we just used horse manure from my uncle's horse that was in the backyard, but many vegans have a problem with horse or cow manure- I can see why it could be a by-product of cruelty, but if could also be something random you find, (for example, wild Buffalo still exist freely in the U.S. if you happened upon Buffalo manure, why not use it??? I digress) But I've also heard that animal manure can be unhealthy for the soil as well; Native Americans grew squash, corn and beans to compliment each other and replenish the soil so maybe we'll do something similar when we move-in family in the country fried backyard greens, watermelon, squash etc. too, but I have no idea how they grow it XD.

Veganic seems to be the preferred way of growing food though, I found a couple blogs, especially Bonsai Aphrodite and My Vegan Cookbook and Gentle World that helps with that (why can you use worm by-products though?) It does seem relatively easy and clean though, do I'm interested, however I'm not into composting, but I want to learn more about it...

https://www.treehugger.com/green-food/what-vegan-or-veganic-farming-actually-looks-like-huguenot-street-farm-video.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan_organic_gardening

https://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/what-forest-garden.html

Anthracite_Impreza

You are of course aware most people don't have the land or resources to grow food themselves nowadays? The theft of our land is one of the reasons this world is in such a mess. Also, most people don't have buffalo wandering around anywhere near them :huh:

Skycaptain

Human urine provides nitrates for the soil if you have ethical issues with other fertilisers

Perissodactyla

Where there is a will, there is always a way! :D

I have many friends in varying living situations with or without the availability of gardening space.

Those with a passion to grow vegetables and flowers and other plants, who don't have any soil situated on the earth, have many, many pots and containers filled with rich soil, which sit inside their apartments near the windows or on their balconies, if they have them. It works, I've seen!

Others who are more ambitious can often rent space in a nearby community garden set aside by the municipality for gardening and support of community growth around gardening. This REALLY works to produce more food in a fairly small space or large space, than one can consume easily.

For those people with yards, putting in some kind of raised veggie beds is a great idea. Into that one can construct a simple drip irrigation system with a timer and a moisture sensor to maximize efficient usage of water.

Anyway, it's pretty easy to get started, and beyond finding and planting the 'starts' of the veggies you love to grow/eat from a nursery or from seeds, there is little effort in the few months it takes to see a lot of edible, beautiful results.

Perissodactyla

Just wanted to say that I love priobiotic foods like plant-yogurts and kombucha.

Plant-yogurts = soy, almond, cashew, coconut-milk yogurt

Kombucha = many different brands.

I've never made these from scratch, but eventually i will try it.

I'm a bit addicted to both and am also curious why i feel so much better if i consume them regularly.

I mean... i'd like to understand a little more about the microbiology behind what they do.

====

I also like to eat many different varieties of seaweed and algae, since they're yummy and nutrient rich.

There are a lot of different types of seaweeds that are gathered near where i live on the pacific coast, but i also get seaweed from the atlantic coast, specially Dulse, my all time favorite seaweed, which is purple and yummy.

My favorite food is tomatoes, and today i already ate a dozen big ones, so i have to go out and get some more.

when i went to the local farmer's market yesterday, the local organic growers offered NO tomatoes yet, but when they come into season in a couple of months i will be getting very inexpensive cases of them, which i eat like apples. :)

Fruit is my prefered food in general, but tomatoes don't have so much sugar in comparison to normal sweet fruits, so I can basically eat them endlessly. they also have a fair amount of amino acids, so they support some degree of tissue growth/repair, whereas regular sweet fruits tend to be very low in amino acids, of course.

I can also eat massive amounts of avocados, which i will often consume with dulse seaweed, lemon juice or salsa which i either make or buy pre-made.

So that's some vegan news from me on a Monday. lol

On 5/18/2017 at 5:51 PM, euco said:

If you're going to commit to veganism for the long haul, it's necessary to focus on the 'nutritarian' view of food consumption, which gives attention to the food-value / nutrients that the food we consume offers us. Just eating plants without considering their nutritional value can lead to becoming weak and sick eventually, which is often why there are many lapsed vegans. Supplements for me are necessary, and plant sources of supplements are preferred, of course. If you haven't done so already, get a blood test(s) and a physical.

Any tips you fancy sharing? The one thing I've noticed with the vegan blogs and social media I've come across is that whilst the food looks great and from what I've tried tastes great, there's a real lack of actual nutritional help. Whilst I'm not quite vegan yet, this has been one of the biggest concerns from me and those around me.

2 hours ago, Amnesiac said:

Any tips you fancy sharing? The one thing I've noticed with the vegan blogs and social media I've come across is that whilst the food looks great and from what I've tried tastes great, there's a real lack of actual nutritional help. Whilst I'm not quite vegan yet, this has been one of the biggest concerns from me and those around me.

Maybe I can help?

Here's a paper from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

http://www.theveganrd.com/

http://www.veganhealth.org/

https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan/how-go-vegan

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/vegan.htm

Did you guys know that Oreo is vegan? I was always under the impression it contained milk. But a fellow traveler poinnted out it was vegan and lo and behold- no milk in it's ingredients list!!! :o

I can now rely on this snack, whew!

3 hours ago, Chihiro said:

Did you guys know that Oreo is vegan? I was always under the impression it contained milk. But a fellow traveler poinnted out it was vegan and lo and behold- no milk in it's ingredients list!!! :o

Et tu brutus!

On 5/21/2017 at 4:51 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

You are of course aware most people don't have the land or resources to grow food themselves nowadays? The theft of our land is one of the reasons this world is in such a mess. Also, most people don't have buffalo wandering around anywhere near them :huh:

Small scale gardening is efficient enough to feed a family of three, so, technically we lived on three acres of land that we owned at the time, and technically I'll inherit more land ,but we gardened very small scale, most people live in houses that have backyards, and ours was the size of a normal flower bed as a reference point.

On 5/22/2017 at 9:13 PM, euco said:

Just wanted to say that I love priobiotic foods like plant-yogurts and kombucha.

Plant-yogurts = soy, almond, cashew, coconut-milk yogurt

Kombucha = many different brands.

I've never made these from scratch, but eventually i will try it.

I'm a bit addicted to both and am also curious why i feel so much better if i consume them regularly.

I mean... i'd like to understand a little more about the microbiology behind what they do.

====

I also like to eat many different varieties of seaweed and algae, since they're yummy and nutrient rich.

There are a lot of different types of seaweeds that are gathered near where i live on the pacific coast, but i also get seaweed from the atlantic coast, specially Dulse, my all time favorite seaweed, which is purple and yummy.

My favorite food is tomatoes, and today i already ate a dozen big ones, so i have to go out and get some more.

when i went to the local farmer's market yesterday, the local organic growers offered NO tomatoes yet, but when they come into season in a couple of months i will be getting very inexpensive cases of them, which i eat like apples. :)

Fruit is my prefered food in general, but tomatoes don't have so much sugar in comparison to normal sweet fruits, so I can basically eat them endlessly. they also have a fair amount of amino acids, so they support some degree of tissue growth/repair, whereas regular sweet fruits tend to be very low in amino acids, of course.

I can also eat massive amounts of avocados, which i will often consume with dulse seaweed, lemon juice or salsa which i either make or buy pre-made.

So that's some vegan news from me on a Monday. lol

I've actually made these from scratch before, I've made rejuvelac for nut cheese before and never had issues, I haven't had the chance to make kombucha or apple cider vinegar yet, but I have made yogurt from scratch many times, I use the wild yeast method. I also consume vegan kimchi that, I make, regularly, and sauerkraut is good as well. Have you tried any of good karma's stuff before? The have something like a probiotic yogurt drink, I'm intrigued.

I'm also obsessed with sea vegetables, I snack on seaweed, but I'm interested in konjac too.

4 hours ago, Chihiro said:

I think that there are three or four different kinds of Girl Scout cookies which are also vegan. ;)

chair jockey
7 minutes ago, Zosia said:

I think that there are three or four different kinds of Girl Scout cookies which are also vegan. ;)

I'm not vegan but I'd like to try those cookies anyway. What are they called?

16 minutes ago, chair jockey said:

I'm not vegan but I'd like to try those cookies anyway. What are they called?

Here's the list with all the information about vegan Girl Scout cookies: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/nutrition-headlines/girl-scout-cookies-could-there-actually-be-some-dairy-free-delights

Though, I think (I'm not sure?), but I think Girl Scout cookies are only sold in the U.S.

chair jockey
5 minutes ago, Zosia said:

Here's the list with all the information about vegan Girl Scout cookies: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/nutrition-headlines/girl-scout-cookies-could-there-actually-be-some-dairy-free-delights

Though, I think (I'm not sure?), but I think Girl Scout cookies are only sold in the U.S.

In Canada they're called Girl Guide cookies and are sold only in person by Girl Guides. There is, however, a page with links to recipes! https://www.girlguides.ca/WEB/GGC/Cookies/GGC/Cookies/Cookies.aspx?hkey=94ccbce7-327d-45c0-8856-306f3d39edf7

Oh hey, fellow vegans! Awesome! :D I've been vegan for a little over 6 years now and was vegetarian for 11 years prior to that. I'm typically a "health food nut" but I do love the occasional vegan pizza and ice cream. Speaking of which, it's pretty awesome how mainstream brands like Ben & Jerry's and Breyer's have non-dairy flavors out now. The new seven layer coconut is amaazing!

Anthracite_Impreza

I mean yeah, some people have gardens big enough, but many houses here have no or tiny gardens, especially in old pit villages, flats, inner-city terraced housing etc. I'm just saying it's not a practical solution for a lot of people as it stands.

For more people to go vegan will require a big shift in how society and the economy operates, which I am certainly on board with. I despise the current capitalist system with my entire heart and soul, but people are too busy worrying whether they're still going to have a roof over their heads at the end of the month; the contents of their diet are probably pretty low on the list of priorities.

3 hours ago, ThaHoward said:

Et tu brutus!

Hey! I care about milk free products. 

Archived