Vegan News

The Dryad

You suck at Cooking is hilarious. 

Karacoreable

Hi! Found an amazing website: minimalist baker. She does lots of gluten free stuff which is what I need, but a lot of it is vegan too so I thought I'd drop by and mention it! Never had one of her recipes go wrong, the pizza is possibly the best thing ever. Way better than normal pizza even if it is gluten free! And her vegan chocolate hazelnut cake is just to die for.

I do love vegan baking. It's so cool. So unbelievably clever!

Here's a relevant vegan news website. I've known about it for a while, but I don't visit it much. I keep thinking of posting it, but I've forgotten until now. Maybe it will interest someone?

http://vegnews.com/

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered, if anybody is interested in finding vegan art supplies, here are two sites that offer them...

http://www.colorsofnature.com/

https://www.naturalearthpaint.com/

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, so how about some peanut butter cookies?

Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies

(makes about 8 cookies)

2a4u90n.jpg

Ingredients:

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup (to 1 cup) of raw sugar or other sweetener (depends on how sweet you want these cookies)

2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

1 cup of whole wheat flour or other flour of your choice

1 teaspoon of baking soda

1/8 teaspoon of salt

1/4 cup of water or plant milk

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

2. In a large bowl, cream together the peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla extract

3. In a second bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt

4. Slowly add the flour mixture to the creamed peanut butter mixture and mix until crumbly

5. Add in the water or plant milk until the crumbly mixture is softer

6. Roll mixture into disks and place on cookie sheet (they won't flatten out much in the oven so make them close to how thick you want the cookies to be)

7. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until they are just starting to turn golden around the edges (they cook fast so be careful!)

On 7/12/2017 at 3:06 PM, m4rble said:

I read that fish cravings could be a sign of not getting enough vitamin D or K. I put my meals into chronometer for a few weeks and I seem to consistently be low in vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium. (even when I'm not completely vegan) I started supplementing vitamin D and calcium.

Well, I got tested and I was low in vitamin D. I guess I didn't get as much sun this summer as I should have. I guess I should start supplementing for it more regularly. 

@m4rble, you raise a good point about vitamin D, and this applies to most people, not just vegans. Because of the risks of UV radiation, not only do we avoid the sun, use sunscreen etc, but car glass is now less transparent to UV, shopping malls mean now time outside going between shops etc. In some countries they're starting to advise taking a D-vitamin supplement almost as a matter of course 

10 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@m4rble, you raise a good point about vitamin D, and this applies to most people, not just vegans. Because of the risks of UV radiation, not only do we avoid the sun, use sunscreen etc, but car glass is now less transparent to UV, shopping malls mean now time outside going between shops etc. In some countries they're starting to advise taking a D-vitamin supplement almost as a matter of course 

This is true. I don't think most people are getting a lot of vitamin D from animal products anyway unless they're eating a lot of fatty fish or liver. Other foods are fortified with vitamin D, whether vegan or not. 

On 5/16/2017 at 8:38 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

PETA are definitely not good, they kill healthy dogs to 'save' then from being loved pets.

I agree completely. Myself and other vegans I know always wince whenever peta does pretty much anything. We know people who LOVE to argue with us will just use whatever. Veganism is trying to take itself seriously and peta is not helping.

On September 3, 2017 at 11:02 AM, KaraH said:

I agree completely. Myself and other vegans I know always wince whenever peta does pretty much anything. We know people who LOVE to argue with us will just use whatever. Veganism is trying to take itself seriously and peta is not helping.

Amen to that. A few years back, PETA got a booth at a fair here (which was primarily only attended by people involved in ag) and they were doing some kind of "Wheel of Torture" stint. They're such a laughing stock and don't know when to quit.

• 1 month later...
flagsforhippos

I have a jar of tempeh that's been sitting in my cupboard for months. I bought it thinking it would be a good step away from vegetarian products like quorn and help me incorporate something vegan into my diet. Anyone know the best way to cook it?

I marinade tempeh before cooking in a pan, I’m sure there’s other ways but I use it a lot in curries and this works best for me :) 

Anyone tried the Frys family vegan meat substitutes. My fav is the fake chicken strips and the fake battered prawns. 😁

flagsforhippos
17 hours ago, Ume_Chika said:

Anyone tried the Frys family vegan meat substitutes. My fav is the fake chicken strips and the fake battered prawns. 😁

Yes, I love the asian spiced burgers. Shame Fry's products aren't available in more shops.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been told, today is World Vegan Day, so here's a vegan 🎂 🎂:cake::cake: emoji or two 

• 2 weeks later...
flagsforhippos

If only I'd know about these ↑ a few days ago, I could have toasted them on the bonfire :wacko:

Never mind, I can put them in my Christmas cocoa :D

Just found this thread, and I'm so happy to find other vegan aces/aros/however you guys identify!

Not sure if this site has been mentioned before, but The Vegan Stoner ( http://theveganstoner.blogspot.com/ ) is such a great place to find simple recipes. I'm super lazy and don't feel like cooking most of the time, so their simple recipes are the best. They have more complex ones, too, which are also delicious! I bought their cookbook and recommend them 100%.

Let me know if you guys have any other simple but tasty vegan recipes! I saw someone mention the Minimalist Baker earlier and they're amazing too. :D

flagsforhippos
4 hours ago, 200 Ponies said:

The Vegan Stoner

I can see some fun simple recipes I can try out, thanks for the link

...quite relieved that they don't end each recipe with "then simply garnish with a little sprinkling of hash" :P

• 3 weeks later...

I could have sworn I had posted this somewhere here, but I guess not...has anyone heard of The Food Empowerment Project? Here’s their website:

http://www.foodispower.org/

And their blurb about their mission:

“Food Empowerment Project seeks to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. We encourage choices that reflect a more compassionate society by spotlighting the abuse of animals on farms, the depletion of natural resources, unfair working conditions for produce workers, the unavailability of healthy foods in communities of color and low-income areas, and the importance of not purchasing chocolate that comes from the worst forms of child labor.”

They have a lot of interesting resources, I’d really recommend checking them out.

On 11/26/2017 at 2:27 PM, Zosia said:

I could have sworn I had posted this somewhere here, but I guess not...has anyone heard of The Food Empowerment Project? Here’s their website:

http://www.foodispower.org/

And their blurb about their mission:

“Food Empowerment Project seeks to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. We encourage choices that reflect a more compassionate society by spotlighting the abuse of animals on farms, the depletion of natural resources, unfair working conditions for produce workers, the unavailability of healthy foods in communities of color and low-income areas, and the importance of not purchasing chocolate that comes from the worst forms of child labor.”

They have a lot of interesting resources, I’d really recommend checking them out.

This is interesting. 

• 2 months later...

I always find it interesting to find out about vegans who were formerly involved in animal ag and who have changed their life so completely. Just found this, thought I would share:

On 7/15/2017 at 2:58 PM, Zosia said:

What do you know? Colbert lost a bet and is eating a vegan/plant-based diet for a little over two weeks:

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=9774&catId=1

Oh, also...I thought I’d follow up with this if anyone is interested. I don’t generally pay attention to what celebrities jump on and off the vegan wagon, but since I watch Colbert, I noticed last week he said he had been vegan since last year, which means he must have continued on with veganism since he lost that bet I posted about. Here’s the interview (6:20 is where he mentions it, but the whole interview is funny and worth watching for other reasons):

EDIT: ugh, spoke too soon. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm back! Have some vegan cake:cake:

Anywho, since I've been on hiatus, all I've literally done is visually consumed vegan fashion, idk if anyone else is interested but I'll give some names to fashion magazines and YouTube channels, if y'all are interested.

Viva glam magazine 

Eluxe magazine (not fully vegan)

Vilda magazine

VegNews (food and lifestyle)

So far on YouTube I've found Kristen Leo, Viva Glam, Sophia Lane, and Hannah Hagler and All Vegan All Good, and finally, cruelty free Becky and Emma Laird.

Tashina Combs of Logical Harmony, Rhian from Rhian HY and wifelife, and Sunny from Vegan Beauty Review are my beauty guru go-tos, but I also like Tiffany Desilva (because she's also brown and into green beauty)

I wanted to share a recipe with you guys that @Evil turned me on to the other day... I've been obsessed.

1/2 cup chickpea flour (aka gram flour aka besan, but I'm sure you clever people knew that already :lol:)

1/2 cup water

spices

Mix the water slowly with the chickpea flour (get rid of all the clumps), and then add your spices (my favorite so far has been 1 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp salt; the original recipe called for 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp paprika, but the turmeric was really overwhelming, imo!) and mix those.

Bring 1/2 cup water with a pinch of salt to a rolling boil, mix in your batter, set heat to medium and stir. The batter will become pretty thick pretty quickly; pour into a glass container, smooth it out a bit, cover it and pop it in the fridge for about 45 minutes, and then cut it into cubes.

It makes these perfect, firm tofu-ish consistency cubes... they're so good. I ate half the first batch as it was, straight out of the fridge. The second batch I worked into a stir fry, and the third I pan-fried... oh my god, pan frying them turns them into these puffy little cubes of absolute delight. They're kind of like roast/fried potato squares, but you have way more control over the flavor profile.

I'm in love with this recipe right now, I just wanted to share it with you guys.

@The Dryad Yay, you’re back. :D Thanks for posting that info, I’ll have to look into it.

Would anyone here be interested if I were to post information about vegan artists? I’ve had to do some research lately about vegan artists and I thought it might be neat to make some posts talking about them and maybe posting a few pics of their work?

Also, for any vegan writers out there who are interested, there’s a vegan resource website called acti-veg.com which just started asking for submissions from writers about their experiences being vegan. There’s only one submission up so far, but I have a feeling it could be a really interesting project once more people submit something. Here’s the link to the guidelines and how to submit an entry:

https://acti-veg.com/2018/02/07/the-vegan-workshop-project/#more-877

And a short description: “The Vegan Workshop project aims to bring together varying perspectives on veganism and animal rights on a variety of topics. Writers can contribute on any topic they wish so long as it is related to veganism and animal rights. These don’t have to be ethics focused, what I’m really hoping for is discussions that aren’t being had so much, or any unique perspective on veganism you could offer. I’d love to have articles exploring topics like what life is like for rural vegans, how veganism is seen in the community you live in, stereotyping, problems in the vegan community, how veganism affected your eating disorder or chronic illness, personal stories of activism, veganism and mental health, living as a teenage vegan, what life is like as a vegan of colour, vegan dating- whatever you feel would be of value.”

On a similar note, but on a smaller scale, there’s a site called Vegans of Iowa that has similar stories from vegans and also other resources (for people who live in or are visiting Iowa). Just thought this might be useful if someone is in that area and reading this. I’m not from Iowa but I still think it’s interesting and encouraging to find out about other vegans living in the Midwest. 

https://vegansofiowa.wordpress.com/

New re-vegan here.  I was vegan in the past as well as vegetarian for sometime before converting to a paleo-based diet for almost 3 years.  Although I initially saw some health benefits such as blood sugar stabilization and weight loss, I was making my self sick in the long run.  Overall, it sucked.  I'm back to being vegan, and this time for good.  I live in the heart of beef country.  Thankfully, it's also potato country.:lol:  I'm learning new recipes and I just wanted to say hello. :)

@Zosia 

The Vegan Workshop project really sounds like it's up my alley, especially because the stories of vegans of color are so limited and invisible ( BTW have you heard of Black Vegans Rock, Aph Love and Syl Love are two people I've been following for years now and look up to, they just released a book [mostly all their essays from their blog which they took down, I was pretty upset, tbh] but they know sooooo much history and have done a lot of research, plus Dick Gregory and Rosa Parks and Alice Walker were vegan and vegetarian too.)

https://www.amazon.com/Aphro-ism-Culture-Feminism-Veganism-Sisters/dp/159056555X

As a side note, Dick Gregory's vegetarian cookbook has skyrocketed in price, it's so ridiculous, I hope they come out with a new edition.

As for vegan artists, I personally was looking for vegan paint and brushes and I'd already heard of the ones you posted, but also the "vegan artists" I found, I don't think are too concerned with where the pigments come from, the only one I loyally follow is frannerd though and she used markers, which I'm sure are chemically made?

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men". - Alice Walker, also known as the author of The Color Purple.

Archived