Vegan News

The Dryad

1 hour ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Thank you for your support, it's much appreciated :3 Thank you for the links too, but I live in England :P If you could make vegetables not be manky that would be great ;)

I should have caught that you live in England due to your info below your profile pic...darn it *facepalm*. :blush: I'm sorry, I guess my brain didn't connect "the Southern Shire of York". I suppose that's what I get for being distracted and swamped with work and having a migraine for two days before having written up that post I made you. Again, I'm sorry. I'll go through and find some brands that are available in your area and see if I can find any coupons for you online. I'll get back to you soon.

EDIT: Oh, maybe I should ask what kinds of faux meats you might be interested in? Burgers, roasts, fish, chicken?

Anthracite_Impreza
8 minutes ago, Zosia said:

I should have caught that you live in England due to your info below your profile pic...darn it *facepalm*. :blush: I'm sorry, I guess my brain didn't connect "the Southern Shire of York". I suppose that's what I get for being distracted and swamped with work and having a migraine for two days before having written up that post I made you. Again, I'm sorry. I'll go through and find some brands that are available in your area and see if I can find any coupons for you online. I'll get back to you soon.

Lol, don't worry about it :P I hope your migraine goes away :( 

@Anthracite_Impreza My main dietary staples are actually beans and avocados. A few years ago I actually didn't like avocados due to their soft texture but I got used to them and now I think they're great. Do like any beans? I like black beans, lentils, sprouts, green beans, edamame beans, Lima beans and peas. The canned varieties don't taste the best in my opinion though so I get frozen or dry. I used to like tofu before I became a vegetarian but then I kind of got sick of it from eating it so much. I still like stir fried tofu. Vegetables fried in olive oil are also good, but I already liked vegetables to begin with. I also really like fried mushrooms so if you like mushrooms you might want to try it(mushrooms can be very polarizing) Quinoa is another filling plant. Their are plenty of interesting vegan recipes on the internet as well so if you're having trouble finding something you like you can try looking them up and seeing if anything looks good. Mock meats are easy but I personally wouldn't want to live off of them. Of course, if it works for you that's great. 

Edit: I also like the brand Amy's for frozen dinners. They're a little pricey but still good. I like the black bean tamale Verde. 

On 6/9/2017 at 10:31 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I've been trying to cut down on meat for a while, it's just getting to me, but with living at home and being incompetent and unemployed it's hard to make significant changes. I'm going to ask to try 'fake' meats next time we go shopping though.

Another problem is, due to being autistic, I'm extremely 'picky' around food. I can name more foods I will eat than won't, and nowhere are vegetables on that list. I've made a little progress with fruit but it's still limited. That's pretty much the only reason I've carried on so far I think, having little I can eat.

I'm a bit late to this, but try those Linda McCartney Vegetarian Sausages! They're vegan and everyone in my house has changed from meat sausages to them now because they like them so much :D

On 5/17/2017 at 0:57 AM, Kisa the Cat said:

I'm not vegan but I do try to reduce the amount of meat I eat.

I'm trying to do this too. I don't think I'll ever cut out all meat (due to the convenience of meat being relatively cheap and widespread), but I'll cook a veggie and/or fishy meal where I can over a meaty one. Also helpful is that Mum has gradually been turned off meat and fish (and most recently broccoli) due to a series of unfortunate events, so it's fairly easy for me to go meat-free at home if she's there.

On a more animal rights-based note, I try as much as possible to use kinder forms of animal products if I can (free range eggs and chickens, for example), but at the same time, I don't expect myself to be perfect in that regard. While I understand that using animals for food is ethically bad (and I hope that, one day, lab-grown meat will be reasonably priced for everyone), I'm not perfect in following my values. 

I also recognise that one of the reasons that I'm not perfect in reducing the amount of meat I eat is that it's just hard work to do! Vegetarian (and vegan) food tends to be more expensive and less freely available (especially as I can't eat most parts of a salad, or mushrooms, which are often part of vegetarian recipes). I admire the work vegetarian and vegan people put in to align with their values, despite the current focus on eating meat, and the hate some get for it (particularly hate towards vegan people).

I like this excerpt from a Vlogbrothers video - Why Are Vegetarians Annoying? (An Exploration of a Cultural Rift) - in which Hank 'delves into the meme of the annoying vegetarian, where it comes from, why it annoys us, and what's really at the root of it all'.

So, why are people annoyed by vegetarians? Because they have the audacity to work extremely hard to live in accordance with their values. And because those values conflict with the values of society at large. People don't want to be told that the way they live their lives and the things that they enjoy are making the world less good. Especially when you got other stuff to worry about.

But, look, as frustrating as I'm sure both sides can find this at times, this cultural conflict is not a bad thing. I honestly believe that we are on our way to a better, brighter future and 200 years from now, people will think it's ridiculous that we ate meat the way that we do. There's no reason not to appreciate vegetarians for working very hard to live in accordance with their values. And I completely understand their desire to convert me and other people to their cause, to have us eat less or no meat.

Anthracite_Impreza
On 16/06/2017 at 5:21 AM, m4rble said:

@Anthracite_Impreza My main dietary staples are actually beans and avocados. A few years ago I actually didn't like avocados due to their soft texture but I got used to them and now I think they're great. Do like any beans? I like black beans, lentils, sprouts, green beans, edamame beans, Lima beans and peas. The canned varieties don't taste the best in my opinion though so I get frozen or dry. I used to like tofu before I became a vegetarian but then I kind of got sick of it from eating it so much. I still like stir fried tofu. Vegetables fried in olive oil are also good, but I already liked vegetables to begin with. I also really like fried mushrooms so if you like mushrooms you might want to try it(mushrooms can be very polarizing) Quinoa is another filling plant. Their are plenty of interesting vegan recipes on the internet as well so if you're having trouble finding something you like you can try looking them up and seeing if anything looks good. Mock meats are easy but I personally wouldn't want to live off of them. Of course, if it works for you that's great. 

Edit: I also like the brand Amy's for frozen dinners. They're a little pricey but still good. I like the black bean tamale Verde. 

Could've sworn I'd replied to this >.<

No, I'm extremely finicky, can't even have certain food combinations on the same plate (like mashed taties and beans) even though I'll have them together in a different form (waffles and beans) because it makes me feel ill looking at it. I'm odd, I'm well aware. As for living off them, well I've been living off the same few things my entire life so it can't do any more harm.

2 hours ago, Amnesiac said:

I'm a bit late to this, but try those Linda McCartney Vegetarian Sausages! They're vegan and everyone in my house has changed from meat sausages to them now because they like them so much :D

Just bought some yesterday oddly enough, I hope I like them because I can eat sausages for England :x

@Anthracite_Impreza I hope those Linda McCartney Vegetarian Sausages work out for you! I was meaning to get back to you sooner about faux meats, but I was trying to ask people from the UK online what faux meats they preferred, so it took longer than expected to gather responses (sorry!). Linda McCartney was one of the top responses that I got back, as was the brand Quorn (which seemed really popular). Someone also recommended that if you're looking to eat out, the app Happycow can help you find restaurants in your area that serve faux meats.

6 hours ago, Philbo Penten said:

Vegetarian (and vegan) food tends to be more expensive and less freely available (especially as I can't eat most parts of a salad, or mushrooms, which are often part of vegetarian recipes).

I wouldn't say that it is inherently more expensive to eat vegetarian/vegan...I think that this is probably a common misconception? I guess it just depends on where the person lives and what they buy--faux meats and other specialty replacements (plant milk, non-dairy yogurt/ice cream/cheese, etc.) are generally going to cost more, as are pre-made, pre-packaged meals (like frozen dinners), none of which are really necessary per se (the only replacement that I buy is plant milk). Most vegans (contrary to what is often shown on social media) don't lounge around all day on a beach eating nothing but highly expensive raw organic produce. :D For instance, I'm a college student so I don't have a ton of money to spend on groceries and the like. I just buy staple foods like pasta, beans, oatmeal, cereal, potatoes, rice, peanut butter and jelly, canned veggies, (all of which should be widely available in most places), and I make my own bread and tortillas (not necessary either, but I'd personally rather make my own than buy them from the store because mine taste better, and I think this is probably cheaper, too). One cheap meal that I just made the other night was "Spanish Rice" which was just brown rice, half a can of store-bought tomato sauce, half a can of peas, half a can of corn, a head of cooked cauliflower, and some taco seasoning. It made a TON of rice, it was cheap, and it was sooo good. :P I'm also a fan of the classic PB&J sandwich, burritos, oatmeal, and spaghetti (all of which can be easily veganized). ;)

Here are some resources for eating vegan on a budget:

Cheap Vegan Staple Foods

Cheap Vegan Recipes

Plant Based on a Budget (includes free meal plans, recipes, and videos)

Eating Vegan on $5 a Day

Eating Vegan for $25 a Week (includes a meal plan for one person)

Eating Vegan for $21 a Week (the Food Stamp budget)

If you want some more resources, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Anthracite_Impreza

@Zosia; Somehow the 'free market' has managed to make it cheaper to buy highly processed gelatine sweets from a different country than plain old strawberries from only a different county away, so yeah, around here it definitely is more expensive to be veggie. Add to that the fact I live in a deprived area with hardly any income and it gets 10x worse.

12 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

@Zosia; Somehow the 'free market' has managed to make it cheaper to buy highly processed gelatine sweets from a different country than plain old strawberries from only a different county away, so yeah, around here it definitely is more expensive to be veggie. Add to that the fact I live in a deprived area with hardly any income and it gets 10x worse.

Certainly, it's more difficult in different places throughout the world, and different people have varying access to food and varying incomes.

I live in a small-ish town in Nebraska, which is in the middle of cattle country, and (at least here) we don't have a lot of access to fresh produce, and what we do have is highly expensive because it has to be transported here. I made a post in another thread a while back:

On 5/23/2017 at 8:05 PM, Zosia said:

I don't have many places that I can shop at--I don't live in a big city, I live in the middle of nowhere basically. I have either Walmart, Target, a couple of mom-and-pop local grocery stores which are more expensive and have far less of a selection of items, or gas stations. [...] Good luck finding cheap quality food here. Most of the food that I eat is either canned or dried because the produce at these stores is often really nasty. It's often rotting on the shelf, covered in black sludge, or growing fur. Or there's an empty slot where there should be produce. I've seen this both at Walmart and at the small corner grocery stores (I don't think my Target has a produce section). They've also had issues with flies, and there was one time not that long ago that I bought some cherry tomatoes and didn't realize until after I had eaten some whole ones as a snack that they had worms in them. So, I've been really put-off by their produce. And their produce isn't cheap by any means, either. I don't know what is with these stores, but I've also learned from multiple bad experiences that I always need to check the expiration date on plant milks before I buy them because there have been a few times where I've bought some and didn't realize until I got home that they were expired. There was one time where I bought some rice milk and realized once I got home that it was four MONTHS past its expiration date. I guess not many people here in cattle country are buying plant milk, so it just sours on the shelf. One of the local stores have stopped selling the rice milk (they still have soy), but I think they did this because they realized they don't have much of a market here. Other than the plant milks, we don't really have what you would call "novelty" vegan items. There's one brand of vegetarian sausage at one store, and Walmart has a few different kinds of vegetarian faux-meats (they still have milk and eggs in them), they have one brand of soy yogurt, and that's about it.

I mention this because a person doesn't have to buy a bunch of expensive, organic, fresh fruits and vegetables to be vegetarian or vegan. There can be many other options, depending on where a person lives. At least in my situation, I have access to Walmart which is where I get most of my groceries. Even if I didn't have access to Walmart in my immediate area (I would then have to drive almost 2 hours to the next largest town for a large-scale grocery store like Walmart), I would still have the small mom-and-pop convenience stores. Yes, slightly more expensive than Walmart, but I would still have access to the same staples that I mentioned in my previous post. I don't have to have fresh strawberries. :) Even with my limited access to produce, I still make a vegan diet work (and on a student budget) because I have access to staple foods.

Again, it's going to be different for everyone, and everybody has different struggles...but, what I guess I'm trying to get at is that the idea that a person has to eat a boat load of fresh produce to be vegetarian or vegan is usually false. Certainly, there's situations where people have limited access to or don't have any access to staple foods (potatoes, rice, oatmeal, pasta, canned veggies, bread, etc.), and sure, that would make it extremely difficult or impossible to be vegetarian or vegan. But...this kind of a situation isn't one that most people have to deal with. And if a person is in a situation where they don't have access to alternatives to animal products, then it's totally understandable to consume whatever foods they need to to get by, whether that includes meat or not.

This is a very complex subject, and I'm probably not explaining it well enough. More could be said about this, but I hope I'm making sense?

15 hours ago, Philbo Penten said:

I'm trying to do this too. I don't think I'll ever cut out all meat (due to the convenience of meat being relatively cheap and widespread), but I'll cook a veggie and/or fishy meal where I can over a meaty one. Also helpful is that Mum has gradually been turned off meat and fish (and most recently broccoli) due to a series of unfortunate events, so it's fairly easy for me to go meat-free at home if she's there.

On a more animal rights-based note, I try as much as possible to use kinder forms of animal products if I can (free range eggs and chickens, for example), but at the same time, I don't expect myself to be perfect in that regard. While I understand that using animals for food is ethically bad (and I hope that, one day, lab-grown meat will be reasonably priced for everyone), I'm not perfect in following my values. 

I also recognise that one of the reasons that I'm not perfect in reducing the amount of meat I eat is that it's just hard work to do! Vegetarian (and vegan) food tends to be more expensive and less freely available (especially as I can't eat most parts of a salad, or mushrooms, which are often part of vegetarian recipes). I admire the work vegetarian and vegan people put in to align with their values, despite the current focus on eating meat, and the hate some get for it (particularly hate towards vegan people).

I like this excerpt from a Vlogbrothers video - Why Are Vegetarians Annoying? (An Exploration of a Cultural Rift) - in which Hank 'delves into the meme of the annoying vegetarian, where it comes from, why it annoys us, and what's really at the root of it all'.

I hate the quoting feature because I want to quote your whole post but YES!!  I'm basically at a point where I'm trying to cut down on anything bovine related for both environmental and health reasons and I found that when I did that, my dad started to slowly do that too.  I stopped eating steak, he stopped bringing it home as much and suddenly he's considering giving it up because it's really simple to do and mom will still eat chicken (she's a VERY picky eater).  It won't affect the way we live our lives too badly.  Getting rid of milk and moving to almond milk is something we don't really care about either because we never really were big milk people either and it turns out almond milk tastes better in coffee and that's the biggest use we have for it.

Also I'm looking into being more locally sourced than vegan or vegetarian at this point in time.  My reason for giving up beef was environmental and I'm reading more and more about how our diets and the global market affect the environment and I want to start working on eating locally.  I think my carbon footprint would be smaller if I ate more chicken from the farmers a few miles away than going vegan and eating quinoa that was grown in South America that had to be flown in, packaged, etc.  Nothing against vegans, but my reasons for being interested in it have nothing to do with the animals and are mainly environmentally based so for me, this makes more sense.

28 minutes ago, Kisa the Cat said:

I hate the quoting feature because I want to quote your whole post but YES!!  I'm basically at a point where I'm trying to cut down on anything bovine related for both environmental and health reasons and I found that when I did that, my dad started to slowly do that too.  I stopped eating steak, he stopped bringing it home as much and suddenly he's considering giving it up because it's really simple to do and mom will still eat chicken (she's a VERY picky eater).  It won't affect the way we live our lives too badly.  Getting rid of milk and moving to almond milk is something we don't really care about either because we never really were big milk people either and it turns out almond milk tastes better in coffee and that's the biggest use we have for it.

That's great that you're taking so many positive steps in your life and influencing others to make positive changes in their lives!! :D

30 minutes ago, Kisa the Cat said:

I think my carbon footprint would be smaller if I ate more chicken from the farmers a few miles away than going vegan and eating quinoa that was grown in South America that had to be flown in, packaged, etc.

I'm going to be a little pedantic and point out that it's generally not an either/or situation between choosing to eat chicken or choosing to eat quinoa. There's nothing about veganism that says a person has to eat quinoa. In the 7-8 years of me not eating meat, and the year and a half of me eating vegan, I've not once eaten quinoa. And depending on where a person lives, a person could be vegan and eat locally or primarily locally. I guess this is just a wide generalization and doesn't mean a whole lot like the fruits and veggies comment that I responded to was, and I hope I don't sound like a hag for jumping on both this comment and the other one, but I just want to clear up some possible misconceptions, if that's okay. :)

Anthracite_Impreza
10 hours ago, Zosia said:

Certainly, it's more difficult in different places throughout the world, and different people have varying access to food and varying incomes.

I live in a small-ish town in Nebraska, which is in the middle of cattle country, and (at least here) we don't have a lot of access to fresh produce, and what we do have is highly expensive because it has to be transported here. I made a post in another thread a while back:

I mention this because a person doesn't have to buy a bunch of expensive, organic, fresh fruits and vegetables to be vegetarian or vegan. There can be many other options, depending on where a person lives. At least in my situation, I have access to Walmart which is where I get most of my groceries. Even if I didn't have access to Walmart in my immediate area (I would then have to drive almost 2 hours to the next largest town for a large-scale grocery store like Walmart), I would still have the small mom-and-pop convenience stores. Yes, slightly more expensive than Walmart, but I would still have access to the same staples that I mentioned in my previous post. I don't have to have fresh strawberries. :) Even with my limited access to produce, I still make a vegan diet work (and on a student budget) because I have access to staple foods.

Again, it's going to be different for everyone, and everybody has different struggles...but, what I guess I'm trying to get at is that the idea that a person has to eat a boat load of fresh produce to be vegetarian or vegan is usually false. Certainly, there's situations where people have limited access to or don't have any access to staple foods (potatoes, rice, oatmeal, pasta, canned veggies, bread, etc.), and sure, that would make it extremely difficult or impossible to be vegetarian or vegan. But...this kind of a situation isn't one that most people have to deal with. And if a person is in a situation where they don't have access to alternatives to animal products, then it's totally understandable to consume whatever foods they need to to get by, whether that includes meat or not.

This is a very complex subject, and I'm probably not explaining it well enough. More could be said about this, but I hope I'm making sense?

You're making sense, I was just having a moan at the ridiculousness of the situation :cake:

7 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

You're making sense, I was just having a moan at the ridiculousness of the situation :cake:

Oh, I see. :blush::redface: I get your frustration, I wish the situation was better here, too.

27 minutes ago, Zosia said:
7 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Oh, I see. :blush::redface: I get your frustration, I wish the situation was better here, too.

Do you mean the situation of not having access to vegan foods? 

1 hour ago, m4rble said:

Do you mean the situation of not having access to vegan foods? 

Sort of...I wish I had better access to fresh produce since what little is available in stores here is such poor quality. I do have access to basic vegan staples, like dried/canned beans, canned veggies, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. But, it would be nice to have fresh fruits and veggies. It's not a dire situation, I still have a lot that I can eat here as a vegan, it's just probably a product of living in a small-ish town in the middle of cattle country.

3 hours ago, Zosia said:

Sort of...I wish I had better access to fresh produce since what little is available in stores here is such poor quality. I do have access to basic vegan staples, like dried/canned beans, canned veggies, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. But, it would be nice to have fresh fruits and veggies. It's not a dire situation, I still have a lot that I can eat here as a vegan, it's just probably a product of living in a small-ish town in the middle of cattle country.

I was wondering which, "situation" was ridiculous is all. I think having a need for veganism at all is kind of a ridiculous situation, but that's another idea altogether. 

On June 22, 2017 at 6:11 PM, m4rble said:

I was wondering which, "situation" was ridiculous is all. I think having a need for veganism at all is kind of a ridiculous situation, but that's another idea altogether. 

Do you mean that it's ridiculous that we're in a situation where we raise, what, 56+ billion animals worldwide every year, which causes extensive damage to the environment and harms human health, not to mention the unimaginable amount of largely unnecessary violence inflicted onto animals?

Anthracite_Impreza
On 23/06/2017 at 0:11 AM, m4rble said:

I was referring to the fact it's cheaper to buy highly processed food from the other side of the world than natural produce from your own (small) country.

11 hours ago, Zosia said:

Do you mean that it's ridiculous that we're in a situation where we raise, what, 56+ billion animals worldwide every year, which causes extensive damage to the environment and harms human health, not to mention the unimaginable amount of largely unnecessary violence inflicted onto animals?

Yeah basically 

Anthracite_Impreza

So this whole weekend I've been trying different faux meats and I have to say they were better than I thought they were gonna be; even though I saw the packaging I kept thinking they were real meat :huh: Linda McCartney sausages in particular are very nice.

1 hour ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

So this whole weekend I've been trying different faux meats and I have to say they were better than I thought they were gonna be; even though I saw the packaging I kept thinking they were real meat :huh: Linda McCartney sausages in particular are very nice.

Glad you enjoyed them! ^_^

On May 18, 2017 at 8:06 PM, oval said:

By coincidence, there is an article published today which might be of interest to those who prioritize animal rights as the basis of their interest in veganism.

China’s Dog Meat Festival May Have to Cancel the Dog, Activists Say

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/world/asia/china-dog-meat-yulin-festival.html

Looks like the ban on dog meat at Yulin this year didn't mean much of anything. I didn't really expect that it would be honored--people's habits are hard to change. And even if they stopped serving dogs, they would just fill that void with some other animals. Disappointed.

Anthracite_Impreza
2 hours ago, Zosia said:

Looks like the ban on dog meat at Yulin this year didn't mean much of anything. I didn't really expect that it would be honored--people's habits are hard to change. And even if they stopped serving dogs, they would just fill that void with some other animals. Disappointed.

I've signed so many petitions against that, it breaks my soul.

*Having highly dubious thoughts about the naming of Chow dogs here*

On 6/25/2017 at 11:46 AM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

That's great. The faux meats I eat don't really taste much like the real thing, although I usually just think of them as their own thing rather than an imperfect imitation(like black bean patties). I haven't tried the brands you did although I have heard that the beyond meat burger tastes pretty close to an actual burger. Funnily enough I was eating mushrooms I sauteed in olive oil a few days ago and for some reason they started to taste exactly like meat to me. It might be the mix of the fat from the olive oil and the umami flavor  of the mushrooms. It could also be because I don't really remember exactly what non-fishy meats taste like because I haven't had them for over two years. Since you've had actual meat recently and still think it tastes similar that means their probably pretty close. 

Anthracite_Impreza

They were nice enough I think I could quite happily eat them instead of real meat for the rest of my life. In fact I'd prefer it, wherever possible I'd like to replace meat (still a WIP with family and that).

Anyone know of any veggie pastes, like beef spread? I love salmon spread quite a lot :x

On June 26, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Anyone know of any veggie pastes, like beef spread? I love salmon spread quite a lot :x

Hmmm...I'm not really sure what beef spread/salmon spread is...is that like canned tuna, chicken salad, Spam or something similar that can be put on toast? Could you give me a brand name so I can look it up to see what it is?

Anthracite_Impreza

052825.jpg?v=20170514114558

Mushed up meat you spread on stuff, mostly bread.

Archived