Annoying comments or questions you (often) hear

kani

Luftschlosseule

"So, if you're an archaeologist... do you discover dinosaurs?"
Nope. You mean paleontologists, and they're the science guys while we're not. We only work with human stuff. Even Indiana Jones doesn't bother with dinosaurs, apart from shouting "This belongs to a museum!".

We're the people that sort through the trash piles of persons whose remains have long since turned to dust.

"If you find gold, do you get to keep it?"
Yeah, right, you discovered our secret! We don't get paid, so we have to find precious stuff and ignore every possible law there is regarding findings!

Elftober Country
On 11/05/2017 at 4:32 PM, arokani said:

to a very tall person: "How tall are you?"

I can see how this can become annoying, I try not to ask people this so I don't piss them off. If I ever reference someone's tallness it always comes from a place of sheer envy and awe because I'm a jealous short arse :(

Anthracite_Impreza
5 hours ago, Luftschlosseule said:

"So, if you're an archaeologist... do you discover dinosaurs?"

Oh god that one. I'm not an archaeologist but an amateur palaeontologist, and it irritates the hell out of me >.<

SorryNotSorry
4 hours ago, October Country said:

I can see how this can become annoying, I try not to ask people this so I don't piss them off. If I ever reference someone's tallness it always comes from a place of sheer envy and awe because I'm a jealous short arse :(

Trust me, you would NOT be jealous if you knew what a bitch it is for me to buy clothes and footwear.

Then there are the STARES... :blink:

snapesonalane

"Why are you always moody?" (I'm depressed Sharon)

"How do you pronounce your name?" (Once I explain that it's pronounced Vah-leh-ree-uh they then proceed to say, "Cool, I'm gonna call you Valerie/V/some other variant).

"Are you underage?" (This one mainly from creeps, tbh)

19 hours ago, October Country said:

"When am I gonna be a grandma"

*holds up robot*
here ya go, your first and likely only grandchild

J. van Deijck

one of my workmates today: "Nero, you look like a man".

well, it would be more surprising if I wasn't one, right?

Yinlotus93

When I tell people that I want to have kids and am seriously considering having them on my own:

Coworker/relative/acquaintance: "How are you gonna have kids without a partner/husband/man?" "It takes two to tango." "You'd need to have sex to have a baby." "There's got to be someone else involved for you to have kids."

<_< There is such a thing as artificial insemination. I don't have to have intercourse with some guy just to have kids. People have been using the procedure to have kids for a few decades now, really.

When you explain something, and they ask you to explain what you mean.

People who ask me if I want to help them, when I'm already doing something else and they are more than capable of doing it themselves.

"Why do you dress like a boy?" [apparently only guys can wear jeans and a t-shirt, besides I can wear whatever the hell I want to wear]

"You look prettier with long hair." [That's an opinion, not a fact] "It's a fact!" [*facepalms*]

"Wow! You're so short!" [Wow! Really? I can't believe all this time I've been so blind... Thank you for opening my eyes to the TRUTH!]

I have bipolar I, and I am a rapid cycler. I get this ALL THE TIME:

"are you feeling happy or depressed right now" or "how are you feeling?"

While I do go though moods pretty fast and have a lot of mood swings most of the time I'm fine, and if I was going through a phase you'd be able to tell. It pisses me off that I can't have a normal conversation with some people I know that doesn't involve the state of my mental health. 

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

"What are you listening on your headphones?" Answer: Nothing I just am avoiding random conversations but I can't say that, so now I have to come up with an band that isn't too popular that they are fans and wanna talk more but also not too obscure where I have to explaining the band further. ugh

chair jockey
18 minutes ago, ♣Ryan♣ said:

"What are you listening on your headphones?" Answer: Nothing I just am avoiding random conversations but I can't say that, so now I have to come up with an band that isn't too popular that they are fans and wanna talk more but also not too obscure where I have to explaining the band further. ugh

If it happens often enough, think of band and song names in advance and have them ready. :)

J. van Deijck

anything my mother says.

-"Why don't you dress like other people?" - well, I don't like. am I obliged to look like others because someone doesn't like my appearance?

-"But people are commenting on you!" -good, one day they will find a better target. who the fuck cares?

-"How can you even listen to this music?? There's so much of pretty music all around!" - yes, awesome isn't it? so sad that I prefer my "ugly" music, how will you live with that?

-"Are you doing this deliberately to annoy me? Do you want me to die soon?" - yeah mum, I have nothing better to do than planning how to get on your nerves. -.-"

sometimes I really can't believe in what I hear.

J. van Deijck
On 25/05/2017 at 6:36 AM, ♣Ryan♣ said:

"What are you listening on your headphones?" 

omg. I hate this question so much because people in my area have little knowledge about music and I'm really never in a mood for dealing with moronic comments.

"But I thought you're a metalhead...". Wrong, I am not. Even though I like some good metal.

Once someone said something like "So you love extreme music because it's the only music you still hear, right?". wow, how smart.

Talking of headphones... when you're watching/listen to [insert anything] and you have them on... AND PEOPLE STILL TALK, LIKE WHY!?

I don't get this one so much anymore, but I used to get it all the time in school: (my first language is English, but I took English as a foreign language, because I live in a non-English speaking country) 

-"why don't you have a better grade in English" "why isn't your English grade perfect" (I had a good grade in English, just not an "A") 

(often someone would try and explain it/defend me in the worst way: "well, you don't have an "A" in German (the native language of the country..)" the thing is however, yes it's awesome you're trying to defend my grade, but native language courses are very different and on different skill levels then foreign language classes and aren't really that comparable -_-... )

but now I don't have English class, so I don't confuse people by not have perfect marks in English anymore :P .. 

or, what I've heard often while reading something on the internet: "so what have you been reading/doing the whole time" (it's an innocent question, but I usually don't want to say, even if I'm doing exactly what I'm suppose to be doing, and I kinda feel like a jerk if I say I don't want to say....) 

oh, and (I guess I don't hear this much anymore, but) "ain't ain't ain't a word, and you shouldn't use it"... but I've always liked it and used it, I have to remind myself not to use it because I didn't like people saying I can't use it :( ... (I still use "ain't" :twisted::ph34r:...) 

11 hours ago, XYZ96 said:

oh, and (I guess I don't hear this much anymore, but) "ain't ain't ain't a word, and you shouldn't use it"... but I've always liked it and used it, I have to remind myself not to use it because I didn't like people saying I can't use it :( ... (I still use "ain't" :twisted::ph34r:...) 

It's funny when people say that never realizing the irony of using the word themselves. It's pretty much entered into the language these days any way, even if no one is sure just how it evolved.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ain't

Is ain't a word?

Although widely disapproved as nonstandard, and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated, ain't is flourishing in American English. It is used in both speech and writing to catch attention and to gain emphasis.

20 minutes ago, fuzzipueo said:

It's funny when people say that never realizing the irony of using the word themselves. It's pretty much entered into the language these days any way, even if no one is sure just how it evolved.

(a bit off topic)

actually that points out something I've heard usually on the internet but also outside the internet and that's people in general complaining on how people are destroying language and using it wrong because we speak differently now then we did 20, 50 or 100 years ago... the thing is however that language evolves and (imo) that's the most interesting thing about language, and yet you hear people complaining about:

"ain't ain't a word"

"you mean figuratively not literally" (seriously.. this just sounds like a smart ass remark.... -_-)

Spoiler

from Merriam-Webster: 

1. [the definition you all love and know] 

2:  in effect :  virtually —used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possiblewill literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice — Norman Cousins

(and more, but those two are two of the most common, or the ones I've heard most, and the two that pop into mind..) 

oh and while on the subject of language changing, fun fact: "nice" used to mean "foolish" and "stupid" :P .. 

10 minutes ago, XYZ96 said:

(a bit off topic)

actually that points out something I've heard usually on the internet but also outside the internet and that's people in general complaining on how people is destroying language and using it wrong because we speak differently now then we did 20, 50 or 100 years ago... the thing is however that language evolves and (imo) that's the most interesting thing about language, and yet you hear people complaining about:

"ain't ain't a word"

"you mean figuratively not literally" (seriously.. this just sounds like a smart ass remark.... -_-)

Reveal hidden contents

from Merriam-Webster: 

1. [the definition you all love and know] 

2:  in effect :  virtually —used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possiblewill literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice — Norman Cousins

oh and while on the subject of language changing, fun fact: "nice" used to mean "foolish" and "stupid" :P .. 

The hilarious thing about "ain't" is that it's been in use since the 1700s!

Yes, I know, I've heard the arguments and been on the receiving end of a few lectures by people intent on trying to keep the language from changing meaning. There are things that do need to be fixed like my personal favorite: rouge=/=rogue. I'm still waiting for someone to write me a rogue rouge werewolfs(sic) book. /off topic

-"You talk pretty proper for a black guy. You sure you're not white?"

(or, "did you know you don't sound black at all?") Like, being black has a specific sound to it. Kind of like a trademark O_o

With that very logic, you've guessed it--I've been asked if I was aware that (insert white guy talking in ebonics) is blacker than you? Like you could have your skin color revoked.

I should be selling my skin color on Ebay, with how some people think.

Its usually when I'm around a lot of guys: "Did you see that girl?" and eventually, growing annoyed at my lack of extreme enthusiasm: "Are you gay?" and justifying their judgment, by the fact I didn't: "Check her out long enough".

But these pale in comparison, to:

"Do you have the time?"

3: 43

"You sure?"

Yinlotus93

I agree w/ @Perspektiv on that stereotyping crud. I get stuff like, "You speak Spanish right?" "What? You don't know Spanish (surprised faces from total strangers)!?" "But you're Mexican, you should know Spanish." (usually older people) "How come you don't know Spanish? (mystified)"

My own mom: "You should be able to Speak Spanish." "You should be ashamed that you don't understand Spanish." (Exclusively spoke English to me my whole friggen life <_<)

Once a college professor and also some random Caucasian tourist at a bus stop: "(Without me saying a single word to them in either English or Spanish before hand, starts rifling off a long sequence of rapid Spanish)" Me: :blink: ???

Just because I happen to be brown of complexion and have a certain cultural background, does not automatically mean I will be proficient in a particular language.

J. van Deijck

same in my family, my parents say I should be ashamed that I don't speak German fluently.

but I was born outside of Germany and they never bothered to really make me bilingual.

On 05/22/2017 at 6:57 AM, Nai said:

"Did you know you're left-handed?" (Believe it or not I have been asked this)

"Did you know you're dumb?"

--

"But you were a child, too!"

In general when someone asks me about other people's business.

"How's A doing?" 

"Is B still doing their old job?"

"So are C and D still dating?"

If you are so curious you should go ask them, I don't want to blabber about other people's affairs.

"Why are you doing it like that? It should be done like this!" Especially when it's about something that doesn't exactly have a right or wrong way to do it, like tying shoelaces, drawing or even holding your phone.

"Look at your face in this photo!" I know how dumb it looks and I don't wish for any more comments about it.

"Why aren't you running after affection and romance?" As immature as it sounds, hearing this question just makes me want to spend my whole life alone just out of spite.

"Told you so!" This one's quite similar to the one above. It's even worse when it's used when I'm admitting that I'm wrong.

"Calling you weird is a compliment!" It sure doesn't feel like one when it's been used so many times as a negative adjective.

On 6/2/2017 at 11:42 AM, Homer said:

"But you were a child, too!"

This one also; sometimes when I tell people that I don't like children they answer with the infamous argument "You can't dislike children because you've been one too". It's almost like telling people that they can't dislike the sight of blood because they have that stuff inside their bodies.

Luftschlosseule

"Are you still into this "fantasy" stuff with elves and orcs?"
Especially if asked at university from other people that study cultures that were dead long before they were born, with focus on religions.

Yeah, I am into stories. No, that won't change of the course of a few months.

"What do you think of her?" Or any variation of "check her out!"...yeah...I haven't told anyone I'm ace.

" Why don't you have a boyfriend"

The question all aromantic asexuals dread.

" Isn't that guy hot?"

Another question aro aces dread.

"What the hell is the matter with you, why are you so socially awkward"

A question all forms of people dread, but...aro aces get it more than most.

Archived