Annoying comments or questions you (often) hear

kani

"Who are you texting?" (Why does it matter to you? I'm an adult leave me alone.)

"Are you texting your boyfriend?" (I've never dated...)

"How many kids do you have?" (Said while getting my hair-cut after I told the lady I was 19.)

"So you're going to join Green Peace?" (I'm majoring in environmental science and no I am not joining a group.)

There's probably more, but these ones pop up a lot...

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, Pramana said:

I was irked to hear that people would make such comments, so I found this picture of a twincharged Lancia Delta S4 (https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-is-what-it-s-like-to-own-a-lancia-s4-stradale):

this-is-what-it-s-like-to-own-a-lancia-s4-stradale-1476934409285-1000x667.jpg

People make comments like that on a regular basis, I could only imagine how much worse it would be if I was 'out' as mecha.

That car does strange things to my belly.

SorryNotSorry

"What do you do for fun?" (exactly what a person with anhedonia does NOT need to hear)

"What do you do?" (in plain English: what caste are you in?)

"You look Polish/Dutch/some other nationality." (good, maybe immigration will pick me up and give me a free trip to Europe)

"I prefer tall men." (as long as they're not me)

"It will happen when you least expect it." (yeah, if you're Sleeping Beauty)

"Do you believe in God?" (trust me, you don't want to hear my answer)

"Do you play basketball?" (do you race horses, Shorty?)

"Did you make that?" (no, dumbass, Santa's elves built it)

Me: "what does it taste like?"

Annoying person: "gooooooood!"

(it probably tastes like paint or dog crap)

"I've never seen one like that before!" (yeah, because you have about as much imagination as a clay brick)

"Your hands / feet are so small! Let's compare them to mine!" Okay.

"I could NEVER do that." (In relation to my job) Thanks for the info, bro. 

slothdetective

"You don't have a sense of humor" (said always by the same person) - On the contrary, I do have a sense of humor, it's just not similar to yours.

Grumpy Alien
22 hours ago, SkyWorld said:

"What are you?" [when asking about my race and/or ethnicity]

I get that all the time even though I'm generic brand white bread. I'm not offended by it but I wish they'd ask more politely. Like I'm not an alien? I'm not a what. I do love when people ask me where I'm from "originally" or if I speak English - that's just funny. 

"Can you hear me now?" Said immediately after finding out I'm Hard of Hearing. That Verizon commercial and subsequent joke is so old by now. Please spare me. It wasn't very funny the first time.

"But you look healthy!" ... Thanks?

Also... how the heck do you "measure" spaghetti???

EDIT: "How's your car?" Um. Car-ific? Just because I have an unusual car doesn't mean I'm car person. You will get nowhere with this line of questioning.

Luftschlosseule

"Aren't your feet cold?"
No, I always tell people I am super comfortable while freezing my toes off.

"Do you dislike your real hair colour?"
You didn't grasp the meaning of make-up, hair dye, representation and wellness, and I am not going to give you a lecture because I don't have the time for this right now.

"You should probably loose weight."
Oh, you mean I've been overweight all this time and didn't notice? Gee, thanks!

A large part of this are oedemas, so maybe I'll just cut my heart out so it won't cause any more. Would that be all right with you?

reasonsfordefyingreason

"What are you reading?"- When I'm actually in the middle of reading, rather than just having the book on me. If someone's reading out in public it should be clear they want to read and that's it. You'd think that would be a blindingly obvious social rule but no.

"Oh isn't (insert thing  here) terrible"- One thing that's starting to annoy me more and more is people making a big public show of how much they care about something bad that's happened (it's especially annoying when it's a historical event being discussed) when you know they're not going to lift a finger to actually make anything better for anyone. E.g. when we learned about the case of Henry Molaison in a recent uni class one irritatingly self-righteous attention-seeker went on and on for 15 minutes about how saaaad every single detail was and how awful it was the doctor performing the surgery was never punished (never mind the fact Henry was warned the surgery could go horrible wrong, which was more than a lot of patients back then got).

.(Loud and incredulous) "Four brothers?!"-Which can be followed by some variation on "and you the only girl?!" and/or "poor you!"- I've had this reaction every time I've talked about my family since toddlerhood. It's the fact I get the same reaction every single time that sort of annoys me rather than any kind of offence.

(From my dad)"How come you never use your sewing machine/TV/whatever?"- I DO use those things sometimes, just because I don't use them 24/7 doesn't mean I never use them...

On 12.5.2017 at 8:02 PM, Graceful said:

Also... how the heck do you "measure" spaghetti???

You measure it by eye and end up making way too much... just to be sure... Or you could use one of those funny gadgets or a scale but those are for the weak.

2 hours ago, arokani said:

You measure it by eye and end up making way too much... just to be sure... Or you could use one of those funny gadgets or a scale but those are for the weak.

I almost always over estimate the amount of spaghetti to make and end up with too much.

9 minutes ago, fuzzipueo said:

I almost always over estimate the amount of spaghetti to make and end up with too much.

You can always put some oil on them and eat them later. 

Adam_Jensen

"Why are you so quiet?"

Because I'm planning your murder <_<

Grumpy Alien
4 hours ago, arokani said:

What do you measure for? Or is this like... bulk-sold pasta?

39 minutes ago, Graceful said:

What do you measure for? Or is this like... bulk-sold pasta?

Something like this pasta package that could feed multiple people. Goes for other type of pasta too, like fusilli, but spaghetti is the hardest since it doesn't fit in a bowl before it's prepared, so I can't measure it by eye like that. :P

011409_b.jpg

AceAnonymous

When you try to explain something and they say...

"Yup, I understand"

"So basically [something unrelated to what you just said]"

"Yep, you definitely understood me"

sir octepus tea

"No way you're latin@! You're white!" As if latin america isn't a very large continent with people from all over the world living there. As if I'm not from the probably whitest country there.Usually said by someone who thinks Mexico and Spain are the only countries in Latin America.

"Oh my God I can speak Spanish too! Hoh-law. Kay paw-saw?" Usually by someone who can't speak Spanish for shit and thinks It's a prop to show how *~cultured~* they are. Or white people with dreads.

"Say something in Spanish for me!" Yea buddy not gonna happen. 

J. van Deijck
On 11/05/2017 at 5:32 PM, arokani said:

"How tall are you?"

this. I am one of the tallest people in my area, but it's not funny to be asked such things several times a day. (and I'm not even that tall! just read somewhere that an average German male height is 1.81m and in the area where I live it's 1.78m, and I'm actually 1.78m tall, which makes me totally average in this matter. why bother then? :P)

also, stupid comments/questions about my appearance. last time when I got asked "Do you sleep in the coffin?", I replied "No, I prefer sleeping next to nuclear reactors as they are much warmer". -_-

all these questions "You listen to metal, don't you?". yeah I do, but occasionally and it's not my main genre. following this, "But electronic music cannot be dark!". yes, sure. you don't know shit about music if you say such things. go listen to some aggrotech or better, dark ambient.

my mother: "Will you finally look like a normal human being?", "Look at other people, how beautiful and brightly coloured outfits they wear! you should follow them!" (what the actual fuck?), "You are abnormal if you enjoy wearing this, go talk to your psychiatrist", "Who normal is obsessed with radiation, have you become a terrorist?", or "Are you doing this to make me mad? Do you do it deliberately?". no, mum. I dress for myself and I don't care about your opinion.

similar: "People laugh at you, you need someone to teach you fashion because you apparently don't know how to dress". uhm, okay, I heard this, now kindly fuck off and mind your own fucking business. 

apparently people in my area have no idea what cybergoth is about.

assuming I'm a nazi because I look like a rivethead is one of the dumbest things ever, okay?

oh and also "What for you even know about illnesses and being in pain? You're not even 30 yet, wait until you're my age!". oh yeah, so what? I was born with genetic disorder, something these people have no idea about. they can't even imagine it.

ChillaKilla

"So, what exactly are you?"

a potato of course 

J. van Deijck
On 15/05/2017 at 10:52 PM, AceAnonymous said:

When you try to explain something and they say...

"Yup, I understand"

"So basically [something unrelated to what you just said]"

"Yep, you definitely understood me"

this is a situation with my current coworker. her ignorance about out work rules just totally infuriates me.

"Oh, you have boobs? Can I touch'em?"

No. No, just no. In fact don't touch me at all. Go far, far away.

5 minutes ago, Retrobot said:

"Oh, you have boobs? Can I touch'em?"

No. No, just no. In fact don't touch me at all. Go far, far away.

"oh you have a dick, can I kick it?" ;) 

J. van Deijck

oh. one more thing. "Why don't you listen to me?".

what if I actually didn't hear you well because I'm hard of hearing? do you think I'm getting deaf just to annoy you??

9 hours ago, UVB-76 said:

what if I actually didn't hear you well because I'm hard of hearing? do you think I'm getting deaf just to annoy you??

It's such a selfish attitude to have. How dare you suffer all the time with hearing! Such an inconvenience to these... people... <_< /Sarcasm

Anthracite_Impreza
8 hours ago, Ricchan said:

"oh you have a dick, can I kick it?" ;) 

Who asks? Just kick.

8 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

"So, what exactly are you?"

a potato of course 

I thought you were an aubergine, my bad.

8 hours ago, UVB-76 said:

I'm not HoH, but I have problems processing language a lot of the time and my dad used to get so angry at me for having to repeat things that he just stopped talking to me. I didn't even have the words to describe the problem back then, but is it so hard to think maybe people aren't ignoring you on purpose?

ChillaKilla
22 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I'm not HoH, but I have problems processing language a lot of the time and my dad used to get so angry at me for having to repeat things that he just stopped talking to me. I didn't even have the words to describe the problem back then, but is it so hard to think maybe people aren't ignoring you on purpose?

I get this too, just love having semantic pragmatic disorder as expressed commonly in ASD spec people /sarcasm 

God of the Forest

Well recently I was visiting with my nieces and nephews (collective term for that being "Niblings" which just makes them sound like finger food) and my nephew tells me that his mother/my sister told him that I'm not "Manly", Now normally whenever someone makes a comment like that, I dont give a shit because its true and I dont tend to be bothered by comments people make about me when I know them to be true, however in this case it kinda pissed me off because a child was brought into it and I know my sister hates my "lifestyle" and my attraction towards men and my behavior isnt always macho but am I wrong to be bothered by the fact that she's telling her kids things like that about me behind my back? like wtf? I feel like my own nephew has been pitted against me

J. van Deijck
5 hours ago, Ricchan said:

It's such a selfish attitude to have. How dare you suffer all the time with hearing! Such an inconvenience to these... people... <_< /Sarcasm

right? how awful person I must be! :blink:

funny thing is that I got a warning at my worst workplace for "ignoring my supervisors" while they clearly knew I had a problem.

I might totally sue them for this.

3 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Who asks? Just kick.

I thought you were an aubergine, my bad.

that is the question. there is a variety of reasons why a person may not respond, lucky people who don't have any of them.

aw but I'm so sorry to hear it, how can a parent behave like this?? :(

Why don't you want a (insert here)

Why don't you like (insert here)

Why? Maybe it's because I HAVE NO DAMN INTEREST IN THOSE THINGS NOW PISS OFF!!!1

Archived