Annoying comments or questions you (often) hear

kani

What would be some annoying things you hear from people, usually relatives and others that you aren't maybe that close with or they don't understand these modern day humbugs? Or pieces of advice from people who think they're helping but aren't really helping at all. All the "when I was your age" comments and jokes you hear all the time probably fall into this category too.

Examples:

to a very tall person: "How tall are you?"

to a person who doesn't drink alcohol: "Is that like a religious thing?" or "I guess you don't want to come to a party this weekend... : /"

when you're using your phone around (older) people: "Youngsters and their technology... (while shaking their head)"

after complaining about never knowing how to measure spaghetti correctly: "That's so silly! It's not that hard! :))"

Not Active

How many children do you have? :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, arokani said:

to a very tall person: "How tall are you?"

I cry every time at this

I tend to be annoyed at the ones where they try to play almost a victim with it to get their own way...
"Can you do this for me?"

"I might, if I get time"
"Please."
"... if I get time"
"I asked nicely and you still won't do it for me?" / "You never do anything for me, and I am nice about it" 

Spoiler

s-b8eee416b3757c60dad18b8124a484e7766ef5

Do you have children?

Are you getting married when you go on vacation this summer?

Why don't you have children?

Why don't you like children?
Are you wearing [colored] contacts?

>.>

After 20 minutes of having nothing said to me, I take out my phone to check my email. Not 30 seconds later... "You should put your phone down and be more social." First, you want me to be more social? Make an effort to involve me, I won't even talk to my own family if they say nothing to me and/or brush me off when I ask questions. The phone's irrelevant. <_<

"Hey, while you're here, can you take a look at (any object with a power cord)?" Yes, I work computers for a living. Yes, I tinker with electronics sometimes. No, I will not repair your washing machine, that's far more mechanical than anything I like to mess with and it will take HOURS. No, I will not do it for free unless it's truly a 5-second fix that requires no material and no effort. Anything else, you're paying for my time and knowledge.

"What do you do in your spare time?" Computers, guitar, cello, blahblahblah "Oh, will you play me a song?" First, I won't just conjure up a song out of nowhere. 99% of what I play was off of sheet music for orchestra crap or by ear, some song I heard. Ask me to play something in particular that I know, and maybe, just MAYBE, I'd be willing to do it. But I also hate playing for people. I prefer to play for my own enjoyment.

People just don't value other people, yknow?

Another one, though. Say I deny doing something cause I'm not feeling that great, or I'm chattering with someone about nothing in particular and toss in a comment stating as much. "I'm pretty sore today, I don't think I can manage XYZ." "Oh, you just need to suck it up and get on with life, that's what everyone else does." No, everyone else doesn't have to deal with fibromyalgia. Even those that do have different situations and pain tolerances. "I've been pretty stressed/feeling down, I don't think a party's gonna help much so I'll pass lol" "Oh, just relax, you'll be fine." Yes, you're definitely qualified to know my state of mind, with severe depression and anxiety, and how exactly other people will affect it.

Woo, venting thread. These little things get to me like you wouldn't BELIEVE, even if I don't say it.

Not Active

When people say these during the entire conversation and nothing else:

"Huh"

"Yeah"

"Oh, okay."

I'm an Asian immigrant so ... seconding "Where are you from?"

Especially when I give up and tell them where I was born and it's followed up with "Oooh, I've been to / lived in [insert completely unrelated country in Asia]"

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

"I understand"... Then go on about a supposedly related story that has nothing to do with what i just said. Yep. You definitely understand <_<

I'm vegetarian, I get really tired of answering the same questions about it over and over. Often it's innocent, them just trying to understand. But it still irks me every time....

"So, do you eat fish?"

I didn't say pescatarian, so NO

"Do you eat eggs, cheese, and milk?"

I didn't say vegan, so YES (granted, some veggies eat cheese but not eggs or something along those lines so this question has some merit...)

"Do you miss meat at all?"

Do you miss not being annoying?

2 hours ago, Ricchan said:

I cry every time at this

But do you cri evertim?????

I moved to Germany when I was 11 from the US, and when people find this out often they'll ask: 

--> "Why'd you move to Germany" (I don't know, I don't remember, and I'm not even sure how much of a say I had...) 

when I fail to repeat a word back to someone (which happens surprisingly often...:ph34r:): 

--> "You aren't listening" 

when your at a zoo, enjoying yourself... because, zoo:

--> "You know, zoos are bad" or some variant of that...-_-  

and then you have to start defending the existence of zoos, even though all you wanted to do was look at animals and be fascinated by them...

in class, about something (this happens especially often with plants..): 

--> "I hate plants", "plants are boring", "plants suck", every other minute.... 

Are you a guy or a girl? Why cant you just accept Jesus into your heart? How many people have you dated\slept with? What happened to your arms, whats with the scars?! Why dont you date anyone, am I not attractive to you? Are you ever going to clean your room\house?

Just now, M00SE said:

What happened to your arms, whats with the scars?!

Damn, this is one I never really want to hear. Right now I'm lucky enough to only deal with "Why do you always wear bracelets, is it some sort of emo trend?" Rude, insensitive people. Hope you're doing alright.

RoseGoesToYale

(of shortness/baby facedness): Are you lost? Hey kid, can I help you find something? What high school do you go to?

(of my unpronouncable name): Are you from Greece/Russia/Czech Republic/France/Insert-European-country-here? What does your last name mean? (of my first name) Aww, my great great grandma had that name! or Wow, that's old! What's worse, my last name looks close to Wazowski, so I get Monsters Inc. cracks constantly. And my middle name is Michael. FML

@c1024 I get that a lot too, the whole 'are you emo?’ narrative every time someone first sees my arms. Most of the skin on both arms and legs is old scar tissue. I havent self harmed in roughly 5 years though. I used to do it everyday in high school. It was hard getting through because I had very few outlets to express what I was feeling. It does get better, I mean a lot of these scars have faded with time, as did my emotional pain. :) Hope youre doing well too. Its good to know folks understand this type of issue here. 

37 minutes ago, Puck said:

"So, do you eat fish?"

I asked you this, because I like going "nanana you're not vegetarian" at people.... I'M NOT IMMATURE, YOU ARE

18 minutes ago, Ricchan said:

I asked you this, because I like going "nanana you're not vegetarian" at people.... I'M NOT IMMATURE, YOU ARE

Well then, I guess I should amend my post to say "usually it's innocent, them just trying to understand. Or it's Ricchan trying to find ways to annoy you on purpose" ;)

Anthracite_Impreza

'Everyone feels crap some times, just deal with it'

'You shouldn't be so tired at your age'

'Just do it'

'You look alright/healthy/happy'

'You don't look autistic'

'You should make eye contact/stop fidgeting/be more normal when speaking to people'

'You spend too much time on the computer'

'Don't you get bored playing the same games all the time/game I don't personally find interesting?'

'Why don't you just get rid of one of your cars?'

'Why do you spend so much money on your cars?'

''It's' just a car!'

'You should be on medication for talking to/naming/loving your cars'

I'm 6'6", so...

I get "Do you play basketball?" regularly. (No.)

My lastname has the German word for "tall" in it and "boy, that really fits, teeheehee." (Thank you for pointing this out; the previous 14 people who did this today didn't really get the point across)

Also, how's the air up there? (It smells of gnomes like you!)

Whom do you take with you on vacation? (Myself.)

Awww, could you say something in [foreign language I know]. (No.)

Do you have a boyfriend?No? Why?

Are you gay? You are gay.

Why don't you want to get married? You are 20+, you have to get married.

At what age do you want to have children? This is why women were created, if you are against it you're against God. 

And in that moment I'm in a wt* state.

1 hour ago, VirusHybrid said:

When people say these during the entire conversation and nothing else:

"Huh"

"Yeah"

"Oh, okay."

ooopss........hahahahaa......i'm this type of person!!!:D:D

"Should you really be eating that?"

"What are you?" [when asking about my race and/or ethnicity]

"Can I touch your hair?"

2 minutes ago, sea-lemon said:

I feel like this is the most annoying question ever. -_- 

"Your situation is nothing compared to mine"

"There are more people who have similar issues"

"You will never understand the *insert issue here* i'm going trough" 

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

" Are you a lesbian?"

"You need to eat a cheeseburger(or some other unhealthy food)"

"You don't need to exercise at your weight"

"You'll change your mind about having kids when you're older"

Also when I was in college I felt like a broken record because I'd hear "So what's your major?/What career do you want after college?" All. The. Time.

Just now, sea-lemon said:

"Yes."

3 hours ago, Puck said:

I'm vegetarian, I get really tired of answering the same questions about it over and over. Often it's innocent, them just trying to understand. But it still irks me every time....

This was gonna be mine. :P I mean, I truly do think it's usually innocent too, but I've been veg for over 20 years, and it does get tiresome outlining to every other person what I choose and don't choose to eat and why. 

"Can you pronounce [ridiculous Scottish word]?"

Inevitably, no.

4 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

'Why don't you just get rid of one of your cars?'

'Why do you spend so much money on your cars?'

''It's' just a car!'

'You should be on medication for talking to/naming/loving your cars'

I was irked to hear that people would make such comments, so I found this picture of a twincharged Lancia Delta S4 (https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-is-what-it-s-like-to-own-a-lancia-s4-stradale):

this-is-what-it-s-like-to-own-a-lancia-s4-stradale-1476934409285-1000x667.jpg

The most common one for me is at work. "You're my supervisor? But you're young!" Yeah, no shit! That doesn't make me worse at my job than you! Usually said by people of an older generation.

Archived