• no, I extracted them all
    • yes, but only 1 grew
    • yes but only 2 grew
    • yes but only 3 grew
    • I was born without them
    • I don't know
    • I have some of them implanted
    • they haven't grown yet
  2. 2. has wisdom teeth caused you any issues already?

• yes
    • no
    • I don't have them

This poll is closed to new votes

AVEN #1 fan

Just curious,  I'm a biology student and Im trying to understand widsom teeth existence better, I'd really like if you guys answered or comment about your experiences,  thx.

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

I had wisdom teeth but all 4 of them extracted because they were coming in at an angle that pushed the rest of my teeth forward some (?) and/or took up space that my other teeth needed. Did them all at once. The worst best decision O-O

Scottthespy

My teeth are super tightly packed...I was born with wisdom teeth, but they didn't grow because there wasn't room for them. When I was in my mid twenties, one started to come in sideways, and had to be removed. Another has sort of...created a window in my gums, peeked through, seen there isn't enough room for it to emerge, and then just stayed there. I can feel it though the little hole it made with my tongue, but it hasn't grown out any further in three years, so it seems content to rest.

AVEN #1 fan
18 minutes ago, Scottthespy said:

My teeth are super tightly packed...I was born with wisdom teeth, but they didn't grow because there wasn't room for them. When I was in my mid twenties, one started to come in sideways, and had to be removed. Another has sort of...created a window in my gums, peeked through, seen there isn't enough room for it to emerge, and then just stayed there. I can feel it though the little hole it made with my tongue, but it hasn't grown out any further in three years, so it seems content to rest.

My dad had the same problem.

MMy mom who is ironically short has all 4 wisdom teeth in her mouth,  ironically she broke her front teeths as a child and had to get lots of implants,

I got all 4 taken out. They didn't seem to cause any problems but the dentist did and x ray and said they needed to be taken out.

nerdperson777

I had all of them taken out, but the reason was not really clear to me.  I was told to take them out just because they should be out.  My appointment for them was in December on a day that I was home from college.  I quickly passed out from the anesthesia.  The nurse/assistant thought it was strange that I didn't wake up on my own.  Supposedly, the person wakes up within 30 minutes.  I was sleeping on a bench for like 50 minutes until my mom moved my shoulder and told me we had to go.  It sounded like even people who didn't have much sleep the previous night should've woken up.  My healing process was pretty quick since I was eating solid food in 2 days instead of a week.

Philip027

Had to get all of mine removed years ago, they were causing impacting.

Just curious,  I'm a biology student and Im trying to understand widsom teeth existence better,

What's there to understand, other than that they're really not aptly named (instead of being a smart move by biology, they seem to cause more problems than they solve)?

AVEN #1 fan
Just now, Philip027 said:

Had to get all of mine removed years ago, they were causing impacting.

What's there to understand, other than that they're really not aptly named (instead of being a smart move by biology, they seem to cause more problems than they solve)?

Some people don't even grow them , or aren't even born with them. Actually just like many other teeth their primary function is biting and they may have had an important in old times when dental care sucked and by 18 people had a very small amount of teeth. in the future they may disappear, just like appendix.

I have 3 out of 4 taken out.

• My first (lower left) had been already out of my gums after I had a bad tooth beside it pulled out in 2003. I had it removed in 2010  after the dentist said that having it re-dental filled wouldn't be applicable anymore since it was already rotten (TMI! Sorry! D:)
  • Second one (lower right) was in 2013 which was impacted and had already poked out of my gums to the point it got swollen and painful as fugg, I underwent a nearly 2-hour surgery to remove it and a week of recovery.
  • Third one was already out (upper left, but not impacted. Thank goodness) and pierced my lower-left gum to the point it started swelling and I underwent simple extraction last year.

I still have my last one on the upper right and I might ask for a second opinion if I should have it extracted even though it couldn't pierce my lower right gums anymore since I have a slightly-huge toothless gap that the wisdom tooth can't reach.

I have very tight teeth and one of mine was growing in sideways. Since I had to get that one removed I decided to get all four out at once. Used only nitrous oxide and the local anesthetic. Went to see Riverdance later the same day and never needed anything stronger than Advil.

They are called wisdom teeth because they typically appear when one is an adult (and thus hopefully wiser) and serve to replace any lost teeth (a common issue without modern dental care).

Philip027

Some people don't even grow them , or aren't even born with them. Actually just like many other teeth their primary function is biting and they may have had an important in old times when dental care sucked and by 18 people had a very small amount of teeth. in the future they may disappear, just like appendix.

Then not only do they suck, they aren't even consistent at it.

Sharks got a much better deal.  Lose teeth?  Get some teeth back.  No sweat.  Why couldn't we be like the sharks?

AVEN #1 fan
Just now, Philip027 said:

Then not only do they suck, they aren't even consistent at it.

Sharks got a much better deal.  Lose teeth?  Get some teeth back.  No sweat.  Why couldn't we be like the sharks?

I ask myself every day why we aren't like the immortal jellyfishes,  but then I remember "oh they don't have brains like ours". same with sharks if you get me.

NoLongerActive1234

I have had 3 pop up but only one of them to its fullest if that make sense. That is also the one I had to pull out, it was because I was beginning to get a cavity in it and it would be too difficult to fix. There is a risk for having to take out the other upper one as well since I have it pretty tight in there and not much space so it is hard to reach with the toothbrush I guess. I was incredibly surprised though, I barely felt anything as the dentist pulled it out. 

I have all 4 of them and didn't extract any. They also didn't give me any problem. 

There is one that may cause problems, since it was born with a gap between it and the other teeth, the dentist said I should remove it, but my mother didn't want me to and until now I had no problem. The rest are like normal teeth and never caused problems except when they were growing, but it was nothing to serious, I never needed to go to the dentist because of them. 

AVEN #1 fan
Just now, JusTopi said:

I have all 4 of them and didn't extract any. They also didn't give me any problem. 

There is one that may cause problems, since it was born with a gap between it and the other teeth, the dentist said I should remove it, but my mother didn't want me to and until now I had no problem. The rest are like normal teeth and never caused problems except when they were growing, but it was nothing to serious, I never needed to go to the dentist because of them. 

Lol my mom once had a cavity in one of hers and the doctor spend 2 hours trying to fix it and he was hanging like an crazy trying to reach it. After this he told my mom whenever she got another problem at these teeth she should go after another dentist.

Not sure what to answer on the first question. I don't have any wisdom teeth at all in my upper jaw, but in my lower jaw I have both, but only one is showing.

They've not caused any issues :D 

arekathevampyre

most of the people I know only have 2 on the lower jaw . I have 4 . which grows very slowly over the years . And also , sometimes , all 4 grow at the same time , causing extreme pain (I can feel the gum tearing) . The one of the upper left jaw is super sharp (as my other teeth too) and cuts into the side of my mouth always . :( My teeth are very sharp for some reason .

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

A scan revealed that I never developed bottom wisdom teeth. My top ones grew in wrong, pointing to the centre of my mouth, and one got infected, so I had them both taken out.

My mum had, apparently, big teeth. And my dad a small jaw. I got that mix, so there wasn't room for all my teeth At a very early age (9 or 10?) I had one from each quadrant extracted. Horrible, but saved problems in later life.

I still have all my wisdom teeth. They're all kinda just chillin' and haven't caused any issues so far. A lot of people get theirs removed sometime during those college years, though, so I may or may not be speaking too soon :P 

I'm born without wisdom teeth, the dentist waited and waited for them to pop up but they never appeared so because I still had milk teeth at a later age, he decided to remove those (about 4 of them)  and i had to get a bracket to close the 4 holes. I wore the bracket for about 3 years.

I have all my wisdom teeths left. But one of them have caused problems. I have a pocket or what to call it behind one them that has been infeced. And that did hurt could not sleep for 3 days after it got flushed.

Grumpy Alien

I had them all out in high school to prevent issues because there wasn't enough room in my mouth for them. It was the most fun procedure I've ever had done. No pain and lots of milkshakes!

Anthracite_Impreza

I have all of mine but they're only very slowly emerging. I think 2 are mostly out, one still has a bit of skin over it, and the other quite a bit more, but they've been erupting for at least 10 years. They've been a little achey at times but they've not caused me any problems so far, and my dentist seems happy with them so.

I don't think I have any, or if I do they haven't emerged yet. I do have a molar sized, fleshy area behind my second molars that feels like they might have teeth or just bone under them but they don't hurt or anything.

I've never seen a dentist as I can't afford to, so hopefully I won't have any issues.

Gentle Giant

I had one wisdom tooth that came in painfully, settled down for a while then gave me pain again so I had it pulled. The others are still under the gums and could cause issues, but since they are behaving I'm leaving them be.

I've still got my bottom 2 wisdom teeth, they don't cause any problems, but the top 2 had to be pulled because there wasn't enough space for them.

currently all 4 but my dentist had a warning to make sure I take care of them otherwise they may need to be extracted the last time I saw them.

Internetlionboy

I don't think my wisdom teeth have grown yet and no wisdom teeth hasn't caused me any troubles. 

Toothlesss

Mine were taken out before they could even grow in. A few of them were growing at a bad angle already, but better to get them out early before they cause pain later on.  

Archived