A couple of articles

StHemingway

StHemingway

I did a search on "asexuality" thru a database on my univ's library server & found this article. I've included the bibliographic info, but since the piece itself is rather lengthy, i'll only put up an excerpt from the beginning.

Title: Asexuality: Prevalence and Associated Factors in a National Probability Sample
By: Bogaert, Anthony F.,
Journal of Sex Research, 00224499, Aug2004, Vol. 41, Issue 3

"Asexuality, in contrast, can be defined as the absence of a traditional sexual orientation, in which an individual would exhibit little or no sexual attraction to males or females. One such model of asexuality was developed by Storms (1980; see also Berkey, Perelman-Hall, & Kurdek, 1990). Storms classified heterosexuals as individuals who are highly attracted to the other sex (i.e., high in heteroeroticism), homosexuals as individuals who are highly attracted to the same sex (i.e., high in homoeroticism), bisexuals as individuals who are highly attracted to both sexes (i.e., high in both heteroeroticism and homoeroticism), and asexuals as individuals who are not attracted to either sex (i.e., low in both heteroeroticism and homoeroticism). In this study, I undertook the investigation of lifelong asexuality, defined as having no sexual attraction for either sex. Note that the definition of asexuality here concerns a lack of sexual attraction to either sex and not necessarily a lack of sexual behavior with either sex or selfidentification as an asexual. Sexual behavior and sexual selfidentification are of course correlated with sexual attraction, but, for a variety of reasons, one's attraction to men or women and overt sexual behavior or sexual self-identification may have a less-than-perfect correspondence. "

2013 Mod Edit: A preview of Bogaert's article can be found here. Anyone who is interested in reading the full article can PM me or the Project Team.

Nice article...

But this arises a question from me...

I dont know if possibly the answer is later in the article or.. perhaps even in a different topic..

What are you 'labeled' as if..

-You are asexual..

-With no sexual desire whatsoever...

-But you are romantically attracted to both sexes...

Would it be considered like biasexual? abisexual? lol.. or? i have no idea....

StHemingway

this is the last paragraph of the article, before all the data charts:

i bolded something thought-provoking.

"Using psychophysical (e.g., phallometry) measures, future research could evaluate the physiological arousal and attraction patterns of asexual people. Similar to the evidence presented here that asexual people have limited sexual experience, an investigation of this kind would provide validation of the concept of asexuality if asexual people showed little or no sexual response to sexual stimuli involving (potential) partners of either sex. In addition, such research may be able to investigate whether some people's asexuality is best described as a "perceived" or "reported" lack of attraction rather than a true lack of physiological attraction to a partner of either sex. In other words, there may be a group of so-called "true" asexual people (defined as those who lack sexual attraction for partners of either sex) who show no physiological response to stimuli with males or females as sexual targets and another group of individuals who show typical attraction and arousal patterns and yet report, label, or perceive themselves as being asexual for various reasons (e.g., not aware of own arousal; deny arousal). Given that studies of sexuality--particularly volunteer studies with invasive procedures--select against people with low levels of sexual activity (e.g., Bogaert, 1996; Morokoff, 1986), a challenge for this type of psychophysical research would be recruiting a sizable sample of asexual people."

Nice article...

I dont know if possibly the answer is later in the article or.. perhaps even in a different topic..

-You are asexual..

a lot of people go by bisensual :D

Nice article...

-You are asexual..

Biromantic asexual?

-You are asexual..

I would use the term "biaesthete asexual".

Use whatever label you feel comfortable with, or not at all - some people choose not to use labels at all.

You know what you are inside.

I describe myself as a "homoaesthete asexual" as I find some members of my own gender to be aesthetically attractive and emotionally alluring.

Archived