Pride Event Experiences

VioletDeath

VioletDeath

I've heard a lot of negative Ace experiences at Pride events and was wondering what your experiences have been like. Have you been harassed for being Ace or have people been pretty cool with it?

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

I used to attend "GLBT" pride parades in the past but that was long before I realized my real identity. I didn't know anything about asexuality or any other sub categories of the spectrum back then so I can't share any experience here but I can't remember any negative events against any groupings. Why should anyone harrass ace people? I know that there are some discussions about asexuality as being a valid part of the GLBT spectrum or not but why should it be excluded? There a lots of aces with homo-/bi-/panromantic orientation etc. I don't attent these events anymore but I wouldn't accept any harrassing or insulting nevertheless. We're all equal.

How would people know if I am ace or not? 

The first time I went to pride was in 2012 and since then it's been an annual thing, though I've been to different places. Nobody ever asked why I was there. I was there as an ace lesbian the first time. Now I identify as queer and trans. But people can't really see that, you know. Hah, my best friend wore her bi pride flag and somebody asked what it stood for. She said for bisexuality and they seemed confused, idek. The last two prides I saw maybe three bi and ace flags in the parade. So I guess if you are really out and about with the ace colors or something, people might ask. I don't know the climate of New Zealand, but I wouldn't expect people to be really rude or anything here in Germany.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
22 minutes ago, Finn. said:

I don't know the climate of New Zealand, but I wouldn't expect people to be really rude or anything here in Germany.

That goes along with my previous experience. I've been to parades in Berlin, Hamburg, Düsseldorf,  Cologne....It's always been a cheerful happy day of rainbow pride celebration.

Most of the pride events I've been at were very inclusive. I started going to them annually in 2006, but I wasn't identifying as ace until 2015. I was a spectator, so maybe my experience would've been different if I were more involved and identified as ace earlier. But now it seems that asexuality is purposefully included. Last year ace and aro were included in pride event posters, even. I think this level of inclusivity will vary depending on the local organizations that put it on.

I've attended three prides, two as a participant and one as a spectator. We've always been made very welcome and our presence appreciated by everyone else there 

VioletDeath

Thanks, I might look into going to one next year then.

GlassHalfFull
On 4/30/2017 at 11:26 AM, Snao Çoñé said:

Most of the pride events I've been at were very inclusive. I started going to them annually in 2006, but I wasn't identifying as ace until 2015. I was a spectator, so maybe my experience would've been different if I were more involved and identified as ace earlier. But now it seems that asexuality is purposefully included. Last year ace and aro were included in pride event posters, even. I think this level of inclusivity will vary depending on the local organizations that put it on.

Where were these Pride Events you went to? Cause I think it might vary Pride to Pride

Snao Cone
21 minutes ago, GlassHalfFull said:

Where were these Pride Events you went to? Cause I think it might vary Pride to Pride

I've only been to Pride events in Canada. Some of these included ace and aro representation and some did not.

GlassHalfFull
1 hour ago, Snao Çoñé said:

I've only been to Pride events in Canada. Some of these included ace and aro representation and some did not.

Okay, well that's a bummer that some didn't :/ 

I've been to a number of pride events over the years. Most of the time it was as an "ally"....but the last one i attended as an ace! I had a little flag and my black ring, since it was shortly after i started telling my friends. And i got many high 5s for my flag and at least one compliment on my ring. I've gotten more questions about being furry than i ever have about being ace. And the pride events i have attended were all in south west BC, Canada.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I've only been to one pride event, but I felt it was very welcoming. as the parade rounded one corner, 'Gaydio' presenters were giving a commentary and one said 'here come the Aces! Great to see you guys here,'.

Archived