young people and feeling...old

artemisia

When I see young, pretty people, sometimes it makes me feel old and well, blah looking. (Not that I was ever a supermodel when I was younger.) Does anyone else ever feel this way?

AVEN #1 fan

Same. You get used to it.

Not so much seeing young people.  I'm an old soul and had this "you rotten kids" mentality since Jr. High, so meh, let them bounce around and be silly. :P

What makes me feel old is when I find out a friend is significantly younger than me because then it's suddenly more personal. Or if I start bringing up things from my childhood and get that blank look.  I'm not even that old.  One time I tried to explain to a girl I was tutoring that # was called the "pound sign".  She only knew it as a hashtag.  The looks of wonder you get when you talk about the days of dial up and when AOL was the email to use are amazing. And forget suggesting that I didn't even have internet until almost Jr. High.  That's like unicorn fable crap right there.  I feel like my parents more and more every day.  Lol

straightouttamordor

Well maybe they are more handsome. I'm kinda liking the wiser thing better now.

It happens. / I do. But TBH: I didn't like myself more when I was a teen. 24 till 34, I might have been happiest with my looks.

DesiButters519x

I have never felt young, especially now that all the 90's cartoons I grew up with are now called "classics" But I rather like it? I wouldn't change it for the world honestly, I rather feel wise than young. I mean being "young" doesn't mean you're "alive" now does it? 

If you get old enough, the world you grew up in becomes almost incomprehensible when you look back on it. When I was really young:

-There were no computers outside of government or large corporations. ARPANET (the precursor to the Internet) was years away.

-Jet air travel was just beginning.

-Landlines (that's all there were) still weren't automated in many rural areas; you needed an operator's help to call someone.

-Cars had no safety features at all. Maybe a seat belt if you were lucky. Driving while drunk was scarily normal.

There were few modern freeways outside of major cities.

-Rock music was less than a decade old, and generally considered subversive and immoral.

-Overt racial segregation was still the rule in large areas of the southern US.

-Only a handful of  satellites had been put in orbit, and they didn't do much.

That world makes absolutely no sense to me now! For all its faults, I'm glad for the present...

-

Blackthorn

I have no wish to be young again - I have a lot more confidence now than I ever did then.  I have never had good looks so no change there!

andreas1033

Na, i am glad we get older, and one day we are finished.

Like others say, i have no wish to be young again, and glad those years are long past. I call anyone under 30 young, and those over 30 old.

So not for me. We all get older, and i am glad that years go by faster as you get older.

fuzzipueo
On 4/29/2017 at 11:29 PM, coyote55 said:

If you get old enough, the world you grew up in becomes almost incomprehensible when you look back on it. When I was really young:

-There were no computers outside of government or large corporations. ARPANET (the precursor to the Internet) was years away.

-Only a handful of  satellites had been put in orbit, and they didn't do much.

That world makes absolutely no sense to me now! For all its faults, I'm glad for the present...

-

My dad worked on the room sized computers when I was a kid (70s - 80s). I remember visiting once and him showing us the punch cards the used to program them. Does anyone remember the punch cards?

These days most people carry a computer in their pockets!

I like living in this era for a number of reasons - there are things that we can do now that were only science fiction concepts when I was growing up. While we have not gotten out into space, we have the next best thing, and I'm going to miss the Cassini photos when it crashes into Saturn's atmosphere later this year.I

You know you're getting older when the music you listened to in your youth is now showing up as the current "oldies" station! When I was a kid oldies were 50s and 60s music. :lol:

On 5/4/2017 at 2:46 PM, fuzzipueo said:

You know you're getting older when the music you listened to in your youth is now showing up as the current "oldies" station! When I was a kid oldies were 50s and 60s music. :lol:

Ha! The "oldies" station I used to listen to started playing music that was big after the decades I was into. When I first started listening to the station it played music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Music from the 80s started creeping in at some point and that was okay. But more recently they started adding in more music from the 90s (while still billing themselves as a "classic" (rock) station). :P:lol:

aeimquy159

I love getting older. Everything keeps getting better! I wouldn't choose to be any other age.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Having had a whole lot of bother with some youngsters at work this week, I'm so glad to be older! Having life experience, education and personal values that some 'young cultures' despise, is not such a bad thing.

Blackthorn

@fuzzipueo my mum was a punch-card operator in her younger days.  Nobody knows what she means when she talks about it now!

On 5/7/2017 at 2:31 PM, Blackthorn said:

@fuzzipueo my mum was a punch-card operator in her younger days.  Nobody knows what she means when she talks about it now!

I do!

Gentle Giant

I like being older and the age I'm at currently. I'm happier and more confident now. The downside is dealing with pain issues and body not functioning as well anymore. Hate to think how bad it will get at a much later age.

Skycaptain

Someone called me a "cynical old man" yesterday :angry::angry:

They only got one of the three right:P:P

• 1 month later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

There's an older guy called Bob in my team at work , and I was poring over a particularly tricky account, trying to sort every penny out when a 'young gun' told me 'god you're as old as Bob you are! He sits trying to account for every penny too!' ....but every penny counts when you're meant to be adjusting someone's gas bill to reflect their actual usage...

• 5 weeks later...
SilverFlower

A young ESL student of mine was trying to explain to me about her parents being big Beatles fans and how they had all the band's LP albums.  She didn't know the word vinyl or LP or album so she said, "You know, the BIG kind of CDs".

SMH.

It's whenever young folk refer to 'historical events' and I respond with "Yes, I remember that - I was around at the time" and they look at me as though I'd suddenly grown two heads (or the second one I have has suddenly become visible)

I'm fine being the age I am - with all the pressures on our young folk; I really wouldn't want to be their age now. Mine was the last truly free generation and maybe there are things I wish I had/had not done but too late to do anything about them now. I may be older today than I have ever been, but I'm also younger than I ever will be again

As Bette Davies said "Being old is not for cissies" :D

Before there were punch cards, there were flexowriters with pink tape.  

I look like a potato anyway :D

4 hours ago, SilverFlower said:

A young ESL student of mine was trying to explain to me about her parents being big Beatles fans and how they had all the band's LP albums.  She didn't know the word vinyl or LP or album so she said, "You know, the BIG kind of CDs".

SMH.

So, your student is definitely not a hipster. Else she would own a record player and would only buy vinyls or stream the music. In ten minutes walking distance from my apartment there are at least three record stores all selling old and new vinyl records.

SilverFlower

The only thing worse than as Tanwen said, youngsters talking about "historical events" that you actually witnessed is them talking about your childhood as "retro".  The young hipsters who think your Elton John Yellow Brick Road LP is hip because it's "retro".   I bought that when it was new, you little whippersnapper.   Yes, I am turning into a curmudgeon in my old age.

Archived