Bill Nye Saves the World: "The Sexual Spectrum"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

This is available on Netflix... not sure if we can find it elsewhere on the internet.

In episode 9 of "Bill Nye Saves the World", he discusses sexuality and the sexual spectrum. He mentions asexuals, as well as bisexual, pansexual, heterosexual, and homosexual. He also discusses androgyne and how gender is different from biological sex, and different from sexual attraction. He even touches on gender expression. (I may or may not have fallen off of the couch when he said asexuals... but that's beside the point. :P) 

https://www.netflix.com/title/80117748

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6566204/

There isn't much else about it yet. The series did just premiere on Friday, so it is possible that more will come out as people watch it. :) 

God of the Forest
4 minutes ago, scarletlatitude said:

This is available on Netflix... not sure if we can find it elsewhere on the internet.

In episode 9 of "Bill Nye Saves the World", he discusses sexuality and the sexual spectrum. He mentions asexuals, as well as bisexual, pansexual, heterosexual, and homosexual. He also discusses androgyne and how gender is different from biological sex, and different from sexual attraction. He even touches on gender expression. (I may or may not have fallen off of the couch when he said asexuals... but that's beside the point. :P) 

There isn't much else about it yet. The series did just premiere on Friday, so it is possible that more will come out as people watch it. :) 

I already watched it...it was awful.. sorry for the negative feedback..but it was

14 minutes ago, RipleyJ said:

I already watched it...it was awful.. sorry for the negative feedback..but it was

I haven't seen it. So I'm curious, what's so awful about it?

God of the Forest
6 minutes ago, daveb said:

I haven't seen it. So I'm curious, what's so awful about it?

Lol The slam poetry and rapping to make it more digestable kina ruined it for me (it reminded me of when I was in middle school and the teacher would try to do this silly things to make learning seem more fun but just made it feel like it was for toddlers) if that makes sense.

12 minutes ago, RipleyJ said:

The slam poetry and rapping

Ah, okay. Yeah, that would ruin it for me, too. :P

TheLittleRabbit

I have to agree that episode was particularly awful.

A lot of the episodes have segments where they go out into the real world and either do surveys or follow someone who is in a lifestyle related to whatever is being discussed.  This episode replaced all of that with a terrible not music... Thing.  The woman wasn't singing, or rapping, and the message was just "I'll put whatever the fuck I want in my vagina.". I feel if they really had to do a musical number, it would have been better to convey a message of everyone being human and acceptance rather than going with the "all humans are equally vulgar and perverted" route.

There was a token gay guy on the show, and that was it wrt diversity.  They joked about being cishet white men mansplaining sexuality, but it wasn't funny.

LuckofTheChuck
On 4/28/2017 at 7:49 PM, scarletlatitude said:

But he is not even a scientist. He is just a living two-face.

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Just because he's not a scientist doesn't mean he's scientifically ignorant. He's been making science more appealing, understandable, and accessible for the masses for many years.

LuckofTheChuck
56 minutes ago, Retrobot said:

Just because he's not a scientist doesn't mean he's scientifically ignorant. He's been making science more appealing, understandable, and accessible for the masses for many years.

It is just a point that my brother brings up on how he shouldn't have a say in scientific debates. 

I'm sure the show has science advisors that are qualified.

TheLittleRabbit
3 hours ago, Glen said:

He actually makes it blatantly obvious that he isn't a scientist in his new show, introducing himself as an "engineer" several times throughout the series. I don't really remember the specifics of Bill Nye the Science Guy-- but I'm not sure that he's *ever* claimed to be a "scientist," even though he actually could now that he has several honorary degrees for his contributions to science(having motivated so many other people to become scientists themselves.)  The Science Guy was a kids show, after all, so I don't get why so many adults are getting upset about the fact that he "pretended to be a scientist."  Where is the outrage about Barney not being a real dinosaur? 

I mean, if your real problem with him is that he's a very strongly opinionated person, and you don't agree with some of his opinions-- honestly, I'm in that boat myself.  He does get his opinions from people that are more educated than he is, but sometimes it's painfully obvious that he's just repeating what someone else has told him and doesn't really understand it.  The Monsanto episode was heartbreaking for me as an organic farmer.  He had a bottle of Roundup sitting right there on his table, and he just repeated that there wasn't enough evidence to support that roundup harms the end consumer.  But you know who it definitely does harm?  The farmer, who ends up breathing in and getting coated with the poison when it's at it's strongest, which he would've figured out if he had read the warning label on the bottle that was right in front of him.

scarletlatitude

Point 1: Bill Nye is a Cornell graduated engineer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nye 

Point 2: As a mod, we need to be on topic now. This is a thread for asexual visibility, not for arguing about TV. 

LuckofTheChuck
15 hours ago, scarletlatitude said:

Point 1: Bill Nye is a Cornell graduated engineer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nye 

Point 2: As a mod, we need to be on topic now. This is a thread for asexual visibility, not for arguing about TV. 

Sorry. I just wanted to bring up a point.

God of the Forest

Any scientist (at least any scientist worth their salt)  will tell you not to discount the layperson, science is merely a tool we use to observe the world around us using the scientific method. Just as you don't have to be a lawyer to understand the law or know the law, you do not have to have science credentials to understand science. Discrediting someone based on their credentials or lack thereof is not a valid argument to discredit someone. ( And I am speaking as someone who has a Master's degree in Biochemistry and Bachelors in Zoology lol). However, I do not approve of Bill Bye's show lol

SamwiseLovesLife

Watching this right now :D (at work.. whoops)

It's interesting their thoughts on Kpop challenging gender ideals, like the huge amounts of male cosmetics now in (South) Korea

Also "For those people who seem to be concerned when others seem to have a different sexuality than your own.. GET OVER IT. Why do you care?" <-- This was awesome to hear from an older straight white cis male on mainstream television. Seriously, this made me so happy :lol:

Except when the ice creams all started licking each other... that got weird

On 4/28/2017 at 6:54 PM, King of the Forest said:

I wanna watch that now, I'm a huge fan of Bill Nye, I don't think I've watched him since I was little.

God of the Forest
Just now, The Dryad said:

I wanna watch that now, I'm a huge fan of Bill Nye, I don't think I've watch him since I was little.

Its your time to to waste lol :P 

I will give him an E for effort. Yes, he does have an engineering degree yet works as a scientist; I have an advanced degree in physics yet work as an engineer.

He does try to promote science, and that is what he was doing in his gender episode. He did display that gender, sex, attraction, and expression are on a spectrum, and that non-binary gender identities exist. He is right (IMHO). He was bold and brave to do so. I do not see that as a problem. :cake: to him for doing so.

I do read that this episode has upset certain groups of conservatives, but he is already known as someone who scoffs at the climate change deniers, who are also generally hard-core science-denying conservatives. :cake: for him for his work against deniers.

I am a conservative, but also a scientist/engineer. Gender, IMHO, is a spectrum. Climate change is real (IMHO), The earth is not flat and it revolves around the sun (IMHO). I agree with Bill Nye.

scarletlatitude

^ Yes. I like that he is promoting science, and the science of sexuality and gender. The way he does it... I can agree that isn't the best. But it is visibility, and he mentioned us. We weren't forgotten about. So, I'll take it. :) Yey for visibility! 

I haven't gotten to the sexuality episode yet but I'm not really feeling the other episodes I've seen.  The format and guest stars and guest panels...it's all just very awkward.  And Bill is a little too much sometimes most of the time, and he interrupts a lot :/

I guess overall, I like the content of the new show?  Just not the delivery.

Haven't watched the new show at all yet, but was definitely a Bill Nye fan as a kid. Without having seen it, at least part of me is just happy to hear asexuality is included, nad I hope whatever information was offered to viewers was overall correct, regardless of the oddities of its delivery.

Some of the segments were conveyed...strangely...

I was hoping this show would primarily try to change the minds of science deniers or construct some form of persuasion to dispel the kind of anti-intellectualism/anti-science wave that's been going on for quite some time now. Unfortunately, with the delivery, I feel like Nye just ended up giving his opponents ammo to use against us. 

If someone is on the fence about being accepting of certain genders/sexualities, they are probably not part of a demographic that would take kindly to a woman singing about her "sex junk". These things have to be conveyed, uh...gently...in a way that shows you're respecting their boundaries and suspicions (even if you find them terrible), but the skits just end up shattering that necessary respect and get up in viewers' faces in a way that is not pleasing, in may cases not even to people that agree with the message.

I.....suppose there's no such thing as bad visibility? 

His new show is a bit campy and quick, which is a turn-off for me. But his popular earlier show was pretty campy, as was Beakman's World. Beakman's World started in 1992 and then Bill Nye the Science Guy started a year later and was in a sense a competitor. Paul Zaloom (Beakman) does not have a STEM degree.

I would like a Nye show that is serious, but I imagine that he and the other producers strove for entertainment.

I like his assistant Derek Muller. Muller has a PhD in physics and also has his own show, Veritasium (a play on words, meaning "an element of truth"), which is about physics. I like that show.

Archived