VERY SERIOUS Questions

Puck

Your can of chocolate.

Why did humans start getting out of bed in the morning?

Because someone invented the bed.

Why is a group of crows called a murder and do they actually plan to murder anyone?

Yes, have you not seen the movie "Birds"???

How did someone think up the word "duffle-bag"?... bonus question: WHY did someone think it was a good name?

Because naming things after your hometown is kind of a...thing.

Bonus answer: see above sentence.

Why, oh why, aren't there any truly official, real life "Nerd habitats" in existence? (Think a massive Hogwarts-type edifice...for nerds, y'all)

RhuinHruda

Because then we would have a place to train and organize our military for world conquest.

Why did people decide that owls are wise/represent wisdom?

Because they sleep all day and party all night and that's a genius way to live your life.

Who invented the q-tip and why?

RhuinHruda

The cotton swab is a tool invented in the 1920s by Leo Gerstenzang[1] after he attached wads of cotton to toothpicks. Nothing to say why they were invented, but since they're used for microbiology cultures, it was probably for something like that.

Do you believe it's possible for there to be space-based lifeforms?

Yes.  I've swabbed my space bar and there's 15 different forms of bacteria and evidence of that slice of pizza I had last week.

Is it possible for my jokes to get any worse?

Well, there's always room for...disprovement :) 

Why are Americans (as in United States) soooooooooooo car-centric?

Snao Cone

Specifically to spite me.

How did fingerprints evolve?

RhuinHruda

I think human beings were destined to be able to climb walls with our super-grippy fingertips, but along the way our cells got distracted and just started making pretty, swirly shapes.

Why are people so obsessed with watching disasters?

• 3 weeks later...

Because there is a part of them that is afraid it might happen to them, so they want to watch to feel like knowing what could happen might give them some control

Do my parents know I stole a Mike's hard lemonade from them that one time when I was a teen?

Nah, my parents didn't even know about my drinking 'til I told them like a week ago.

Why are snuggies so popular, and why am I wearing one right now?

Because they feel like wearing a hug and because you needed a hug right now!

Can turtles do math?

4 minutes ago, Puck said:

Because they feel like wearing a hug and because you needed a hug right now!

Can turtles do math?

Yes, but only addition and subtraction. Division and multiplication is too fast for them.

Why do some people believe aliens don't exist?

Grumpy Alien

Because they're aliens themselves.

Can ducks lie?

If they can swim, they can swim

If they can fly, they can fly

They can do whatever their heart desires

Even tell a lie

If the moon is too self-conscious to show us its dark side, then why does it moon the entire planet every night?

There's no "d" in refrigerator because it's filled up with so many other letters.

How did the Titanic sink, when all it hit was was a type of lettuce? 

It wasn't just that it hit an iceberg, but that the iceberg was jealous that the Titanic left it for romaine.

Why is Portuguese its own language and not a subsidiary of Spanish?

RhuinHruda

Portuguese is part of the Ibero-Romance group that evolved from several dialects of Vulgar Latin in the medieval Kingdom of Galicia, and has kept some Celtic phonology

Around 75% of modern Spanish is derived from Latin. Greek has also contributed substantially to Spanish vocabulary, especially through Latin, on which it had a great impact.[12][13]

Spanish vocabulary has been in contact from an early date with Arabic, having developed during the Al-Andalus era in the Iberian Peninsula.[14][15][16][17] With around 8% of its vocabulary being Arabic in origin, this language is the second most important influence after Latin.[14][18][19] It has also been influenced by Basque as well as by neighboring Ibero-Romance languages.[14] It also adopted words from non-Iberian languages such as Gothic language from the Visigoths[20] in which many Spanish names and surnames have a Visigothic origin. It has absorbed vocabulary from other languages, particularly the Romance languages French, Italian, Occitan, and Sardinian, as well as from Nahuatl, Quechua, and other indigenous languages of the Americas.

So it looks like Portuguese was influenced by Celtic whereas Spanish was influenced by Greek and Arabic.

How much do you think it would upset the world order if we redrew the borders of countries in order to let different cultures have their own countries?

Quite a lot actually: 

Spoiler

I'd genuinely recommend watching this whole series, they're great.

In Star Wars, why do they sometimes struggle to lift things with the force, when supposedly everything is meant to weigh the same when using it? (or something like that, I got confused).

chair jockey

Becauise the force is mystical so of course it doesn't make rational sense.

In Star Wars, why did Princess Leia wear flat curly pastries on the side of her head? (I recall a scene from _Hardware Wars_ where Chew Chewla, the Wookie Monster mistook one of them for a cookie.)

21 minutes ago, chair jockey said:

In Star Wars, why did Princess Leia wear flat curly pastries on the side of her head? (I recall a scene from _Hardware Wars_ where Chew Chewla, the Wookie Monster mistook one of them for a cookie.)

To play the game, you're supposed to answer the question from the post above in order to get a question answered ;)

chair jockey
2 minutes ago, Puck said:

To play the game, you're supposed to answer the question from the post above in order to get a question answered ;)

I edited my post to comply with that. Thanks.

Because everyone should dress to express what they love, and Leia clearly loves pastries!

What kind of tea was discovered first and by whom?

chair jockey

Mr. T, by Hannibal.

Why did peppercorns get put in a soup for the very first time?

Because a cat was walking on a shelf and knocked the jar over into the soup. To be fair it was the cat's shelf, in the cat's house and the damn human was making vegetable soup. 

If everyone looks so bad under florescent lighting, why is it everywhere?

Cheep form of lighting thing... Also people like the glow it gives.

Why don't crocodiles rule the world?

Because they lack the mental capabilities for advanced thought that it takes for one species to conquer a planet.

Will the pet rock ever make a comeback?

Archived