Do you like a song that's "romantic"??? (Question mostly for aromantics)

DesiButters519x

DesiButters519x

I was just wondering have you ever liked a song or been hooked to one that's considered "romantic"?? I am wondering this out of curiosity, and I saw a similar question on "sexual" songs so I thought it would be nice to make one on romantic songs. (Not sure if it's been done but if it has I apologize and would love a link)

Song I am a total sucker for: 

This song is just too adorable and their singing is just so breathtaking. 

So any romantic songs you love? 

I apologize if this isnt properly typed, formatted etc.. I'm on my phone.

I like a lot of Owl City songs and they're all sorta romantic, but they have a lot of nature imagery, and generally display a sort of pure and innocent love. But yeah, im sorta a sucker for romance in books and stuff, i get all giddy and giggly

Galactic Turtle

I'd say pretty much every song played on the radio is about love, sex, partying, or money. XD There's really no way around it. I listen to music that has lyrics, so undoubtedly most of these lyrics are about the previously mentioned topics.

I will say though that I spend most of my time listening to classical music or K-pop... where one has no vocal component and the later is in a language I can't understand. Despite this I do listen to people like Sam Cooke. More modern singers like Bruno Mars have good radio hits but if I ever concentrate on the lyrics I get uncomfortable... more so because of the sexual nature than it being about love. 

EmotionalAndroid

Oh yes, definitely. I cannot really relate to the lyrics, but I enjoy a lot of romantic songs because I find them catchy or enjoy the vocals.

For example, one of my favorite songs of all time is this one:

AVEN #1 fan

I'm very little romantic, but damn romantic songs gives me feels.

TThese specially:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ38_olHZvw

Idk whether or not I post my sad angsty romantic songs, so ask me for suggestions if you want to know.

1 hour ago, LettaceShoes said:

I like a lot of Owl City songs and they're all sorta romantic, but they have a lot of nature imagery, and generally display a sort of pure and innocent love. But yeah, im sorta a sucker for romance in books and stuff, i get all giddy and giggly

I love this one:

My fav romantic song I guess is the piano acoustic version of Ke$ha singing your love is my drug.. bUT sadly it was removed from YouTube... forever. T-T

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

No. I like metal.

One song i like is called Sense by the lightning seeds. Yes it's about love but it's such a bright and positive song i don't mind

Dodecahedron314

Depends on how "romantic" we're talking. If it's not overly in your face about it, I can generally get behind it by either focusing on the music (especially if it's a really musically interesting song) or by mentally redirecting the lyrics into a different context (examples of said contexts: friends, certain places, depression, spy stories, my dream college when I was in high school, etc.). But if the romance is the entire point of the song, it's not happening.

Fabulous Mermaid

Disclaimer: Not completely sure if I'm aro. Jury is still out, hehe. Sometimes I like romance songs if they're really cute. I found one while poking around on YouTube that is just too fluffy for this world: Lovely, by Tinpan Orange. But yeah, the fact that I don't want to date doesn't seem to stop me from appreciating romantic songs or shipfics on occasion... 

andreas1033

I like romantic songs for other reasons, not because its supposed to be about another person.

There is not one song in my memory associating it with another person.

But i like romantic songs when i like them for other reasons. Like i associate something else to them, that has nout to do with how others associate such songs, with someone they fancy, or loved.

Love songs, or romantic songs can be powerful on you, and you can use them in other ways, then associating them, like most sexuals do with people they fancy or love, or loved.

Hopefully you understand what i mean.

I have no feelings for others, in terms of love, or fancying them. But i can still like a romantic song, that says something to me, about something i do like, and i associate it to that.

Romantic or love songs, do not have to be about, other humans, you fancy, or love, or loved once. I have never liked others in that way, but i can still understand the songs, and i associate them, with other things, that mean something to me.

I hate songs about sex, but i do not mind the occasional love song, but i do not associate them with other humans, in terms, or feelings for someone, like sexuals do.

Like, not one song, reminds me of anyone in my past.

I like romantic songs, romantic movies and romantic literature just fine. When I was pregnant I craved Jane Austen and both read her books and watched movies based on her books. 

I'm mostly fine with romance when it's not directed at me and I encounter it through some form of media/"filter". When I encounter it "in real life" I get more uncomfortable or baffled by it.

ResistanceFighter

If I like a song and the lyrics are good I like the song no matter if they're romantic or not. But I'm also a sucker for romantic storylines in movies so I guess it makes sense I also like them in songs (as long as it's not too kitschy).

DesiButters519x
On 4/28/2017 at 0:07 AM, LettaceShoes said:

Oh yes! Owl City is such a good artist! It's been a while since I've listened to his music;___; Aw! That is so sweet! Which books have you read? If you don't mind my asking.

DesiButters519x
On 4/28/2017 at 0:09 AM, Galactic Turtle said:

I'd say pretty much every song played on the radio is about love, sex, partying, or money. XD There's really no way around it. I listen to music that has lyrics, so undoubtedly most of these lyrics are about the previously mentioned topics.

I will say though that I spend most of my time listening to classical music or K-pop... where one has no vocal component and the later is in a language I can't understand. Despite this I do listen to people like Sam Cooke. More modern singers like Bruno Mars have good radio hits but if I ever concentrate on the lyrics I get uncomfortable... more so because of the sexual nature than it being about love. 

While that is VERY much true, there is music that has nothing to do with any of those subjects. I ask since people that know me always tend to ask "If you're not interested in romance, why do you like romantic songs?" while that does tick me off after being asked this more than 4 times, I have begun to wonder if other aromantic people are like me, or fit in with the "logic", because as I have said before, I know that not all aromantic's or asexual's alike are not the same. We all work differently and it's nice getting to know others like me.

Oh, I LOVE classical music, and my sister knows kpop, so if I am familiar with it, it's because of her. Oh those are some good artists you mentioned, especially Mars, and I GET YOU SO MUCH.... I honestly get so damn annoyed with today's music, because it's not just overly sexual, but they all say the same things. It's not even about love anymore and mind you, I'm an aromantic, and even I find this sad. It's why I stick to music from the 40's-90's (depending which songs ofc) at least music from those times, had ACTUAL lyrics and could talk about love and sex without being plain nasty about it. But hey that's just me. Not to mention, the talent from back then could never compare to what we sadly have today, then again that could just be my old spirit talking. lol.

Comrade F&F

Most romantic songs I will roll my eyes and switch music. There's only a handful I'm okay with listening, and they're usually about holding hands and stuff. Real mellow.

Edit: My friend introduced me to this group, and they are simply amazing.

fuzzipueo

I'm a sucker for romance songs. Not overly sappy, but I do like a ballad now and again and you can't go wrong with Brian Adam's "Everything I Do (I Do It for You)" from Robin Hood: King of Thieves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGoWtY_h4xo&list=RDZGoWtY_h4xo

The video can't be embedded sadly. :(

I also like romantic songs with sad endings (Loreena McKennitt):

I'm on the darker end of the greyro area (which means that there have been a couple of feelings that would qualify, but those were more than 15yrs ago. I'd rather not again, ever, and I didn't like it back then)

With this out the way...

I relate "romantic" content much more to friendships. In fact, most of the things usually mentioned in so-called love songs are more or less well transferable. So yes, I like some of them, but I don't see them that wayTM.

Snao Cone

I feel the music more than the lyrics, and since most songs tie in with romance that means most good music has romantic lyrics. So yeah, it certainly comes up. In fact, one of my favourite songs of all time has the chorus "All I want is you".

On 4/29/2017 at 9:11 PM, DesiButters519x said:

Oh yes! Owl City is such a good artist! It's been a while since I've listened to his music;___; Aw! That is so sweet! Which books have you read? If you don't mind my asking.

Mostly fantasy and scifi, i get into it for the adventure but sometimes theres a side romance, or a main romance along side the story thatll make me squee. I get a lot of cute fluffy romantic stories from mangas/comics/manhwas though. there are a lot of good ones there. Im currently reading Where Tangents Meet. One good book i read was Defy by Sara Larson. Its got a pretty good story and an occasionally cute romance. Its been a while but i definitely remember sqeeing 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like most songs are about romance these days. I mostly don't connect with them, because they seem overexaggerated? Like I would catch a grenade for you for example. Like, it's nice and all, but would you do the dishes? I also struggle to understand breakup songs because I don't understand romantic relationships. Yeah, I've "lost" friends, but that's mostly because they were assholes, so it's hard to relate.

I love romantic songs. I think I love romance actually, without actively wanting to be a part of it.

That being said, my favorite song is Crazy Love by Van Morrison. I assume most people have heard it, but if not, it's worth listening to :D

I don't much like romantic songs. They are cloying and sappy, imo. I like a few character singers though. Marlene Dietrich, Billie Holiday, Leonard Cohen Bob Dylan. To me, they aren't songs you would sing to someone. It's more of a performance and the singer is showing their own emotion.

My favorite is Tom Waits. Many of his romantic songs are literally character songs. He plays the part of a sad lonely drunk singing bittersweet songs about lost love. And with his gritty voice, it sounds honest and emotional - not like a performance. Just a guy talking about life and for whatever reason, he's singing.

I hope I don't fall in love with you. - Tom Waits <-- one of the only love songs in the whole world I like. It's also an ASMR trigger for me, so that might be a big part of it. 

Archived