How strong are your other emotions?

I'm wondering if asexuality has any correlation with a lower level of emotion all around. I mean, if asexuals feel less sexual arousal and attraction than the general population, do they feel less anger, depression, etc too?

Personally, I have a very even temperament. I don't think I feel what other people feel in similar situations. When my mother was diagnosed with cancer, I didn't feel any anxiety, I just assumed it was going to be ok and that was it. (it was ok, luckily.) When my grandmother died, I felt happy that she was in a better place; no sadness came to me at all. I almost never get angry, no matter what anyone does; I just choose whether or not I want them in my life. And happiness translates more into contentment than elation.

I'm close with my mother, so I'm sure that if she had died from the cancer, I would have experienced a tremendous amount of sadness. But I'm talking now about general trends, not extreme circumstances.

What levels of emotion do other people here experience?

Oh wow. No, I can very emotional at times. My friend Sarah, "friendoftheaweomse" here, tells me that I'm very empathic as well. Very in tune with the emotions of others around me, such that I can sometimes experience these emotions vicariously.

I can be very high strung and anxious, especially in situations where people are evaluating me publically (speaking in front of people, for example). I also have a high romance drive. I'm in love with the idea of being in love. I can be mushy and I very much enjoy emotional intimacy.

I've experienced highs and lows. I'm no manic-depressive, certainly, but I do experience a wide range of emotions, and at time I do so very poignantly.

Oh wow. No, I can very emotional at times. I also have a high romance drive. I'm in love with the idea of being in love. I can be mushy and I very much enjoy emotional intimacy.

That's me. I mean, that's actually Julie, but I feel the same way. Julie, are you a gemini or something?

Anyway, I sometimes think I like the idea of being in love more than I would actually like being there, if that makes sense. I definitely have a mushy, twee side, though other times I think, 'Oh my God, how treacly can you GET?' And I can't stand 'romantic comedies'.

It's an interesting theory, but I don't think being asexual affects my other emotions. I mean, I know some sexuals whose only emotions revolve around sex (getting it, keeping it etc) and they don't seem to care about anything else.

Perhaps Julie and I are more like people who don't have one of the senses so everything else is heightened. Perhaps not, just a theory.

Cate

That's me. I mean, that's actually Julie, but I feel the same way. Julie, are you a gemini or something?

Wow, we've MORE in common. Gemini? Nah. I'm a sorry excuse for a Sagittarian.

Shamless Plug!: My 19th birthday is November 25! :D

Anyway, I sometimes think I like the idea of being in love more than I would actually like being there, if that makes sense.

Oh, it does. Mostly because I feel the same exact way. Idealizing the state of being in love may well be more pleasant, at least at times, than than being love itself. Boo reality! Live on, my lovely Illusion World!

I definitely have a mushy, twee side, though other times I think, 'Oh my God, how treacly can you GET?' And I can't stand 'romantic comedies'.

Bingo! My mother loves the stuff. Whenever she watches them I retreat to my room. Gag me.

Perhaps Julie and I are more like people who don't have one of the senses so everything else is heightened. Perhaps not, just a theory.

...It's very creepy that I almost mentioned the same thing in my post, but at the last moment discarded the thought. We have...very much in common.

*narrows eyes suspiciously*

*goes to perform a Google search on doppelgangers*

VivreEstEsperer

Poignantly...I like that word.

I'm extremely emotional :) I too thought of the theory that if one sense, ie sex drive, is lessened that the rest would be heightened. I think it's "making up" for that. emotions are very strong for me, I feel everything on an emotional level and I'm very sensitive.

Kate *who is a Pisces, if that matters at all...all I know is that the symbol is fish and I love fish!*

I think I'm the most emotional person I know- I'm always in tune with what I'm feeling. I don't seem like a drama queen when people first meet me because I don't fake what I feel to get attention.

My feelings are really real and spontaneous- people that know me think of me as pretty dramatic and they don't really know what to expect from me.

wednesday's child

Ellie... that sounds just like me :D

I too tend to be a pretty calm person... I actually get frustrated sometimes (even as much as I can get frustrated, which isn't much) that I don't seem to feel things as deeply as other people do.

no, i can be pretty intense, though i tend to keep the intensity internalized. i get depressed, lonely, outraged, hopeless, hopeful, irritated, sullen, desperate and peeved. interestingly, most of my current anxiety stems either from school or asexual-related queer/inter-personal angst.

With me I tend to get very concerned over things no one else thinks are important and don't have the least bit of interest in things other people are utterly fascinated by e.g. celebrity couplings.

Cate

As for my emotions, other than the negative ones, they're fairly light. Unless, I'm in a bad mood about something, I'm usually stuck in a state of perpetual . . . . :? My emotions usually consist of being bored, depressed, angry, or some combination of the 3.

And when it comes to sex, the only time I don't respond with a shrugged pair of shoulders and a 'eh, whatever', is when people are constantly talking about it. Then I just get annoyed and want to ask them if that's the only thing on their minds, even though I know the answer's yes.

guardianoftheblind

I feel emotions very powerfully. But it usually isn't reflected externally, as much as I try I have a difficult time being outwardly expressive. When I feel things, I feel them very strongly and overwhelmingly. I physically feel things in my stomach alot when I'm really happy or upset or scared. Part of that might also have to do with I think too much, I worry about bad things and long for good things all the time, somethings always going on inside. One thing I don't feel all that much is anger, it takes alot to get me angry. It doesn't take much to make me really happy, and it doesn't take much to really hurt my feelings.

Yeah, guardian, my emotions go straight to my stomach, as well.

Cate

VivreEstEsperer
With me I tend to get very concerned over things no one else thinks are important and don't have the least bit of interest in

ha me too me toooooo.

It doesn't take much to make me really happy, and it doesn't take much to really hurt my feelings.

this is so true of me too!

Kate

I don't have the least bit of interest in things other people are utterly fascinated by e.g. celebrity couplings.

People who are interested in celebrity couplings should be killed.

Bestatued Head

Emotions? I've only had two emotions that come out the way they are intended: anger and depression.

Damn it, I want to be happy. :cry: