About Fictional Squishes/Crushes

Frozen Fairy

Frozen Fairy

Hi everyone. I know I haven't posted in awhile but I'm back now :)

I saw my mum today and in conversation, something came up about a squish (I now realise it is a squish and not a crush) I have had on a fictional character for a long time. I don't know why we started talking about it, but I mentioned something about aces being more likely to have fictional crushes.

Why do you think this is? 

FF x

happilyirrelevant

I don't know if that's correct, I know a lot of sexuals who have a ton of fictional crushes, but it might be because it's so hard to find real people who are aro-ace and we can just imagine our fictional crushes are aro-ace or that they would be okay with our being so.

Anthracite_Impreza

Tbh I'm not sure they are more common in aces, has anyone done any scouting in the sexual population? Certainly by my experience I've met a lot of sexuals with fictional crushes.

Most fictional characters (esp. protagonists or other good-aligned characters) are supposed to be relatable and attractive/desirable/"squish-able" (idk what the word would be for being desirable as a friend 🤔🤔🤔). Personally, I sometimes think a heroic character is poorly designed if they don't come across as someone that would be nice to at least hang out with. I doubt being drawn to fictional characters is more prevalent in the ace community; I mean a ton of characters (esp. female characters) are created with wish-fulfillment in mind so it's not odd for people to have fictional crushs/squishes. I mean look at the manic waifu/husbando memes that run rampant 😖.

Archived