The Best Friend Dilemma

malickathetato

malickathetato

Bare with me. This story might be a little confusing so..

I've been best friends with this guy for four years. We're like two peas in a pod. We're basically each others backbones. I know a lot about him, he knows a lot about me etc. etc. We both have this other friend that we're pretty close to. My best friend is closer to the other friend than I am. (Keep that in mind because it plays a huge role in this situation). My best friend doesn't really have a good relationship with his family so he usually spends his time at my house or the other friend's house. This past year his home life wasn't going so well so he moved in with our other friend. Both of them smoke weed, I do not. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) So he moves into the other friends house and everything was going good for about seven months. (During that time, I had a mental breakdown/psychotic episode which resulted in me going to a psychiatric facility for two weeks. I was diagnosed with psychosis amongst other things like depression and anxiety.)

A few months later, something happened with my best friend and the other friend which resulted in him moving back into his family home. Things get worse and he starts to fall into a deep depression. (And it broke my heart because I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.) Both of my friends worked together so one day the other friend got fired and decided it was best to move to another city to "get his life together". (I say "get his life together" because he dropped out of high school and wanted to get his GED and a new job, which he already had lined up.) This all happened a few days ago. He was heartbroken. My best friend has told me that I am the only friend he truly has and that if it wasn't for me, he'd probably be dead and what not. The last few days he's been kind of acting strange. He's been doing pills and going MIA at times. A couple of days ago he came to my house and told me he woke up in his car at a school parking lot and didn't remember anything that happened previously.

I don't want to sound selfish, but I already have a lot on my plate as far as my mental health. And don't get me wrong, I love this guy to death, he's like a brother to me, but my therapist has told me once before that I shouldn't be worrying or be around and have things that stress me since I'm going through so much as it is. And I worry about him so much already it's getting to the point where I feel like all the progress I have made can just be broken down because I don't know how to deal with the situation. He's become really sad and I fear that if I try to address the situation, he's going to do something to himself. If anyone has any advice, I would gladly appreciate it.

I tried my best to explain the situation effeciently, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

God of the Forest

6 minutes ago, malickathetato said:

Bare with me. This story might be a little confusing so..

I've been best friends with this guy for four years. We're like two peas in a pod. We're basically each others backbones. I know a lot about him, he knows a lot about me etc. etc. We both have this other friend that we're pretty close to. My best friend is closer to the other friend than I am. (Keep that in mind because it plays a huge role in this situation). My best friend doesn't really have a good relationship with his family so he usually spends his time at my house or the other friend's house. This past year his home life wasn't going so well so he moved in with our other friend. Both of them smoke weed, I do not. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) So he moves into the other friends house and everything was going good for about seven months. (During that time, I had a mental breakdown/psychotic episode which resulted in me going to a psychiatric facility for two weeks. I was diagnosed with psychosis amongst other things like depression and anxiety.)

A few months later, something happened with my best friend and the other friend which resulted in him moving back into his family home. Things get worse and he starts to fall into a deep depression. (And it broke my heart because I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.) Both of my friends worked together so one day the other friend got fired and decided it was best to move to another city to "get his life together". (I say "get his life together" because he dropped out of high school and wanted to get his GED and a new job, which he already had lined up.) This all happened a few days ago. He was heartbroken. My best friend has told me that I am the only friend he truly has and that if it wasn't for me, he'd probably be dead and what not. The last few days he's been kind of acting strange. He's been doing pills and going MIA at times. A couple of days ago he came to my house and told me he woke up in his car at a school parking lot and didn't remember anything that happened previously.

I don't want to sound selfish, but I already have a lot on my plate as far as my mental health. And don't get me wrong, I love this guy to death, he's like a brother to me, but my therapist has told me once before that I shouldn't be worrying or be around and have things that stress me since I'm going through so much as it is. And I worry about him so much already it's getting to the point where I feel like all the progress I have made can just be broken down because I don't know how to deal with the situation. He's become really sad and I fear that if I try to address the situation, he's going to do something to himself. If anyone has any advice, I would gladly appreciate it.

I tried my best to explain the situation effeciently, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sweetie, youre gonna have to give the heavy load that is him to someone else, because you need to take care of you right now. You are not eqipped to deal with someone else's mental health. Find him somebody that can help him so you can focus on you, whether thats a pastor, or maternal figure or at the very least a helpline number.

Archived