Sex dreams

Member116379

Member116379

Is having sex dreams a way of your subconscious telling you something? Or is it merely your mind replaying or portraying something you heard or saw during the day, like in a film or in conversation?

SamwiseLovesLife

I think dreams use imagery to work out what's going on in our subconscious. Unless you have repeated dreams about some certain sex act, enjoy it and can't stop thinking about it then I don't think this means you want to have sex in real life or are a sexual person.

Member116379
2 minutes ago, SamwiseLovesLife said:

I think dreams use imagery to work out what's going on in our subconscious. Unless you have repeated dreams about some certain sex act, enjoy it and can't stop thinking about it then I don't think this means you want to have sex in real life or are a sexual person.

I don't get them very often. I used to get them more when I was a virgin actually hahaha and they're usually with people I've seen on tv or just some random person my mind has created

SamwiseLovesLife
1 minute ago, k_pixel said:

I don't get them very often. I used to get them more when I was a virgin actually hahaha and they're usually with people I've seen on tv or just some random person my mind has created

Pretty much how it is for me. I don't think too much on it, I mean, in half of my dreams I have some kind of animal/mythical creature and that just isn't true (unfortunately) :)

Member116379

I'm thinking that, as I hadn't had one for a while before now, it's because I've been questioning my sexuality a lot and have obviously been thinking about sex etc. etc. 

Dreams are just random as fuck.  I've dreamt of being an arsonist before; it doesn't mean I want to go burning down buildings in real life.

I think it totally depends on the person :P

I, personally, have very vivid dreams that are always clearly a reflection of things I've been thinking about. All my sex-related dreams have never actually come to the act, but I think that's because I don't think about the act as much as I think about the reasons behind it and so forth. I might have a dream where someone is kissing me or I notice other folks who are about to engage, but that's about it. I have no desire for partnered sex and I feel my dreams reflect that.

However, if a person is having specific dreams about having sex with a specific person or performing a certain act, it could be an underlying interest that they aren't acknowledging in their awake life. I would NOT say it is a definite answer to anything, but it could be something to be considered. I think, with such things, it's important to remember that whatever you are feeling is right for you :) You might find that these dreams lead you to having a new understanding of yourself, or they are just dreams and they mean nothing. It's totally different for every person, but self-exploration is often rather rewarding ;)

• 2 weeks later...
thatgreenlady
On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎27 at 7:26 PM, Puck said:

However, if a person is having specific dreams about having sex with a specific person or performing a certain act, it could be an underlying interest that they aren't acknowledging in their awake life. I would NOT say it is a definite answer to anything, but it could be something to be considered. I think, with such things, it's important to remember that whatever you are feeling is right for you :) You might find that these dreams lead you to having a new understanding of yourself, or they are just dreams and they mean nothing. It's totally different for every person, but self-exploration is often rather rewarding ;)

I hope that's not true although I do believe that there is something your brain is trying to work out and may sometimes put someone you know in to that situation? Or, of course, there could be some attraction to that person.

I have had sex dreams with people that I never even thought of since high school that would take place in random places (Bathtub? My dad's bathroom? Weird stuff). I guess I found them attractive but would be horrified if I actually had sex with them (social reasons mostly, I don't mind having sex for someone else's pleasure).

I have talked to someone on this site that said dreams don't reflect orientation which makes sense, you do dream the most random stuff.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
On 27.4.2017 at 10:55 AM, k_pixel said:

Is having sex dreams a way of your subconscious telling you something? Or is it merely your mind replaying or portraying something you heard or saw during the day, like in a film or in conversation?

I don't really know but I do think that sexual dreams or fantasies are actually a part of the human subconscious to some degree. It may be connected to the natural basic instinct of physical reproduction or affection. But that's just one possibility. It could also just be a replay of something you experienced recently through out daily life. It just depends on the background and situation.

1 hour ago, thatgreenlady said:

I hope that's not true although I do believe that there is something your brain is trying to work out and may sometimes put someone you know in to that situation? Or, of course, there could be some attraction to that person.

I think it can vary person to person and you just have to know yourself. I'm a very vivid dreamer and my dreams are often connected to the thinks I think about and fear. I have had dreams bring to light issues that I didn't realize were weighing on my mind so heavily. Obviously, not every dream is deep with insight and I have plenty of insanity happening in them that is meaningless, but the emotion or ideas behind them is what had lead to self reflection.

So, if I ever had a sex dream, I would wonder if I actually was craving sex or if I wanted intimacy and that was my minds way of showing it because that's how society does or if I just watched a movie with a sex scene and my mind was working through it....

It doesn't mean a sex dream HAS to mean a person wants sex, in my mind. However, it could mean it, and it's worth the personal exploration to learn if that is the case.

SamwiseLovesLife
17 hours ago, Puck said:

So, if I ever had a sex dream, I would wonder if I actually was craving sex or if I wanted intimacy and that was my minds way of showing it because that's how society does or if I just watched a movie with a sex scene and my mind was working through it....

It doesn't mean a sex dream HAS to mean a person wants sex, in my mind. However, it could mean it, and it's worth the personal exploration to learn if that is the case.

I would agree with this. I infrequently have sexual dreams, though interestingly I have found if I am not enjoying it, I am myself in the dream; whereas if I am indifferent it is because the person who I am (in the point of view of) is not myself, rather someone who does enjoy sex. I still wouldn't say I enjoy it, only am not so bothered as if it were me partaking in the sex act.

In my waking life I am not repulsed by sex, only averse to it. I don't want to be part of it (again) but it doesn't bother me that other people do, I just find it curious that they enjoy it so much! I mean, why is it so much more interesting than anything else?

Philip027
16 minutes ago, SamwiseLovesLife said:

I infrequently have sexual dreams, though interestingly I have found if I am not enjoying it, I am myself in the dream; whereas if I am indifferent it is because the person who I am (in the point of view of) is not myself, rather someone who does enjoy sex. I still wouldn't say I enjoy it, only am not so bothered as if it were me partaking in the sex act.

For me, it's the other way around (the discomfort has primarily to do with me not feeling like myself).  Unfortunately, that's the sort of sex-related dream I seem to have more often...

SamwiseLovesLife
11 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

For me, it's the other way around (the discomfort has primarily to do with me not feeling like myself).  Unfortunately, that's the sort of sex-related dream I seem to have more often...

I don't think this is related at all (who knows) but we also have completely opposite personalities :) I'm a strong ENF P/J and your signature shows you are a very strong ISTJ! Curious

I had sex dreams twice and it was with women. I'm the type of idiot who looks my dreams up in a dream dictionary and apparently it means I'm comfortable with my femininity.

Though oddly one was with a friend I had a nasty fall out with.

At least for me, sex dreams don't mean anything at all. Nothing more than a short-circuit somewhere in my brain. I have them very rarely and in them, if anything, I am even more asexual than usual. I know in the dream that I am having sex, but I am never quite sure why I am having it and what's the point of it - and that's what I'm usually thinking in the dream: "WTF am I doing this for?". I never particularly like or dislike it within the dream and it always feels like a space filler, something to do while waiting for something else to happen. Although that may indeed be my subconscious trying to tell me that I never should have bothered with sex. I did have sex dreams more often before I started realizing that I am asexual. :) 

Anyway, there's two kinds of them - one where it's with my ex and considering that we were in a mostly sexual relationship for a decade or so, I think my brain just associates him with the idea of sex by default. The second type is with someone completely out of nowhere - a person I barely know or someone I haven't even thought about for years and never even liked all that much. It's never been with a person I find even remotely appealing. That's why I classify it as a short-circuit and move along right after the initial "WTF, brain?!" after waking up.

IceHurricane

It's possible. I normally get sex dreams right before my period. Probably just hormones. I wouldn't think too much of it. I don't really think it's your subconscious trying to tell you something or anything like that. 

Member116379

*UPDATE*

I've noticed that, while I didn't have loads of sex dreams before I 'came out', I'm getting them less and less now

5 minutes ago, k_pixel said:

*UPDATE*

I've noticed that, while I didn't have loads of sex dreams before I 'came out', I'm getting them less and less now

Once again this is only my experience, but for me that would suggest I'm thinking about it less. As I've grown and gotten more comfortable in my skin, certain themes in my dreams have stopped occurring. So, for this, I would think that as I became comfortable with my sexuality and realized I never had to have sex, I would think about sex less, and thus have less dreams about it. (Of course, I'm currently mod for the sex forums of this asexuality site so it's possible to argue I think about sex more now than ever before :lol: )

But, again, that's just how my brain works. Everyone's is different :P

Yeah, unfortunately, for me anyway, the frequency of these dreams didn't really drop off after becoming aware of my identity.  Then again, it's not like I suddenly realized I was different; I knew that for a long ass time already.  I just obtained a name for that difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived