The Philosophy of Anime

Yatogami

I'm not big into anime, but I've watched a couple. The most recent one I watched was Death Note and it seems to be very heavily inspird by Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.

aeimquy159

I've always watched anime. I grew up watching Robotech on Saturday mornings. I really got into anime in High School when I watched Evangelion.

I've always been self conscious of my anime watching. I'm not anymore. I went on netflix and looked at all the animated tv shows for adults and saw no reason why Family Guy is acceptable for me to watch but not Macross.

Hermit Advocate

I love it when I meet people who like anime IRL. I feel like we're silent comrades against ignorant fools who don't understand how versatile anime can be. 

Well, we can agree that some of the fanbase is pure cancer. There are differences between a weeaboo and otaku. 

Anime has more stigma than nerdy interests. They think all anime fans have mental illnesses and have zero social skills. Also associated with autism a lot.

I have great social skills (I think). 

I think people associate obsession with autism.

But usually for it to fall into an "autistic interest" it has to be something that isn't really considered a hobby. I knew a guy who had autism and was obsessed with collecting batteries. This would not be considered a "hobby". 

I think people see anime as too weird to consider normal and healthy. To an outsider with no experience in Japanese culture. It looks insanely (and sometimes is) sexual and at the same time, childish. 

One of my biggesr critiquers of anime claims its 90% coming of age stories. Most take place in high school or in that range. That is a fair assessment. But what they dont know, is that all Japanese pretty much lose their individuality after high school as they become adults and work themselves to death literally. In Japan, your worth as a person is measured in how much you make. Image is also everything. Standing out is taboo as an adult. So all Japanese tend to look back fondly on their youth. Which is why anime takes place more in that period than any other.

1 hour ago, Jade Cross said:

Agree. The adult life in Japan is basically working yourself to death. Rent alone is insane.

One of the things I do criticize though about alot of animes is their over saturated use of fan service. I know Japan is famous for pretty much putting a pair of giant  boobs on a girl any age but it feels like many times thats all they want the audience to focus on.

I know there are many that actually develop the story rather than a character so its not like 100% of animes is just boob shots.

Just pay close attention to genre. You will usually avoid fanservice if you avoid harem or ecchi anime.

Ive included a list of genre descriptions, since English genre names don't usually apply to anime.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeGenres

God of the Forest

スバル, Have you seen 君の名は。,yet? I tend to be scared to waste my time unless someone I know says one way or another if its any good

5 hours ago, King of the Forest said:

スバル, Have you seen 君の名は。,yet? I tend to be scared to waste my time unless someone I know says one way or another if its any good

I heard it was fantastic, from people's opinions I trust. I have yet to watch it myself, and I was waiting for it to come out in HQ. 

• 4 months later...

@Yato

Okay, I finally got around to watching the videos.

Thank you for sharing.

Calligraphette_Coe
On 9/18/2017 at 9:35 PM, argar said:

@Yato

Okay, I finally got around to watching the videos.

Thank you for sharing.

Ditto. I just noticed this thread and found the videos to be moving and very on-point.

God knows I spent enough money on software and books learning how to draw manga (hasn't it been called 'irresponsible pictures' in Japanese culture?) I didn't need a book to tell me that there was great empathy there from the beginning. That it told stories that were off the beaten societal path and did so with heart and empathy. 

I guess I've always hated Western comics because they always seemed to be so steeped in male dominance. Fighting, winning, conquering, mastering, and always seemed to take a dim view of the feminine.  Just like  Banky and Jay in the movie "Chasing Amy". What's that one line of Banky's about Alyssa's work: "Chick stuff, but cute". Or worse.

And somehow, I can't ever see Western comics daring to go near trans issues or stories except as foil and fodder for the underlying male dominance themes. It's only after I started watching anime and reading and drawing manga that I felt there was space in that universe.

The now defunct Milestone Comics deal with a lot of the issues you mentioned.

Unfortunately, because it was so far ahead of its time, it never managed to build a bigger audience.

Although we did get Static Shock out of it.

I was introduced to anime by family members. My uncles both recommended the Ghibli movies when I was a kid, then Tenchi Muyo, Naruto, and Parasyte the Maxim; I love a whole bunch of different anime, and because I had people I could talk about it with on a (fairly) regular basis from a young age, it's something I grew up with.

The lesson is : hook them while they're young.

Younger siblings / cousins who you can talk about it with preferably.

• 3 months later...
NotGojoSatoru

The very first anime that I saw was Cyborg 009 on Animax and I found first Best Friend back in 8th grade because of Inu Yasha. There weren't a lot people with whom I could talk about this except for my sibling (a couple of cousins) and my best friend (although, she didn't really watch a lot of series). While my mum and dad didn't really watch it, they rather approved the content of the show (specially with stuff like Cardcaptor Sakura, Rurouni Kenshin, FMA). 

Mostly, except for my former roommate, I don't think there was anyone who ever commented on the fact that I watch and love anime. But then there were a lot of things she had criticized about (made me understand what 'peer pressure' meant, for the first time in my life).

But yeah, there are shows I like, shows I don't like. There are shows that motivated me, others that were just for entertainment. The anime itself is too broad to be classified under one table. There is something for almost everyone, and if some one doesn't want to watch it... well, that is their prerogative, but label people who do watch it based on their limited knowledge of the subject is not really right.

NetflixandNoChill

First anime I ever watched (unknowlingly) was Sailor Moon. My first anime I watched knowing what anime was, was Naruto (the gateway anime). Since then it has been my job to pass on anime I think my friends and family would like. 

I feel a lot of negative stigma comes from the perception of cartoons being childish. It also could be the negative attitude brought over from Japan. The word otaku has a lot of negative connotation in Japan and is used mostly in terms of watching anime. Another reason may be the over use of fanservice - there's too much in my opinion and that can be really offsetting to new comers. One of my favorite animes, Code Geass, has a female shower scene by the third episode and if that was your first experience, I can understand why it would be off putting. 

Calligraphette_Coe
16 hours ago, NetflixandNoChill said:

I feel a lot of negative stigma comes from the perception of cartoons being childish. It also could be the negative attitude brought over from Japan. The word otaku has a lot of negative connotation in Japan and is used mostly in terms of watching anime. Another reason may be the over use of fanservice - there's too much in my opinion and that can be really offsetting to new comers. One of my favorite animes, Code Geass, has a female shower scene by the third episode and if that was your first experience, I can understand why it would be off putting. 

The really 'over the top' fanservice is what turned me off to it, too. But what kept me sampling it from time to time at long intervals was the fact that anime seemed a lot more willing to go where Western comics wouldn't with eccentric and/or gay characters. I remember watching Princess Princess thinking "Okiedokie, just _how_ are they going to work fanservice into this one?"

Best anime of 2017 of the ones I watched?

Inuyashiki!

Sure it had a lot of weird cgi etc, but the story and characters where amazing. They pulled an "UP" tier opening episode that made you cry. The plot was tense like Deathnote, and made you take in many details at once. This isn't exactly an "action" series, but it had a lot of cool scenes. Lots of psychological complexity in the characters, as well as some very strong moral realizations. 

10/10 would watch again, as well as recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

@Yato I may not agree with you on Trump, but we're on the same page about anime. :lol: 

I have always fit into the nerd/geek niche and I've also never really cared what anyone else though about my interests. I get that the stereotypes stick way too hard and that there are groups of toxic fans that give us all a bad name, but people who like anime come from all types of backgrounds. One of the guys I worked with in the military was big into anime and he was a 6 foot, 250 pound mountain of a man who didn't take anybody else's shit.

I got into anime about 20-ish years ago when I would watch DBZ with my dad. I tend to like anime that is more focused on story than big action or high school drama, and nowadays I read more manga than watch anime like @Jade Cross.  I am currently about 60% through One Piece.

I'm to the point of watching new shows as they come out per cour (4 season of the year). I usually watch at least 3, or what strikes my fancy. (Which is rare). 

I consider myself an anime critic of sorts, with really weird taste. I'm also a hardcore Shounen fan. No matter how cliche, as long as it's fun. The only Shounen I can't stand was Fairy tail, and One piece (mostly due to artstyle). I like Black Clover more lol. 

@Yato Most of what I read or watch is also Shounen. I'm looking for something new to read after One Piece. You have any recommendations other than what you've already mentioned?

18 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

@Yato Most of what I read or watch is also Shounen. I'm looking for something new to read after One Piece. You have any recommendations other than what you've already mentioned?

Ao no exorcist (Blue exorcist)

This one is pretty fun. Finally got a 2nd season. Used to be popular, but since it took years to get a sequel, it suffered the same fate as Attack on Titan. It's quality animation, goofy but awesome premise. Manga is great too.

Boku no Hero Academia (My hero academia)

This one is probably the best Shounen as of late, and it has 2 seasons so far. Art is a little weird, but you get used to it fast. May seem cheesy at first, but it's worth it. Manga is still ongoing.

Magi: Labryinth of magic (and sequels)

Anime is great if you never read the manga. Manga is better, but you can enjoy the show just as good. One of the few middle eastern setting anime, and middle eastern folklore. Great manga.

Archived