The Philosophy of Anime

Yatogami

OF all the things I have ever done, anime is the one thing that I always receive shit for. I never understood why anyone could hate such a thing, so I decided to make a thread about it.  I've included 2 philosophical videos about anime, and I hope you enjoy. If you have any critiques, please leave them in the comments below... after you have watched these two videos. Just so you can understand a bit.

I didn't see the videos, but for the most part I love anime!

It's one of the few things I have watched consistently through out most of my life.

It started with Star Blazer, and hasn't stopped since then.

2 minutes ago, argar said:

I didn't see the videos, but for the most part I love anime!

It's one of the few things I have watched consistently through out most of my life.

It started with Star Blazer, and hasn't stopped since then.

I would say my gateway anime was Naruto. I will never regret it either. I still love Naruto and the character he had become. I am already big into "Next generations" as well. 

Watch the videos, I bet you will enjoy them. They are amazing. 

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

My tablet is acting crazy,can't see the video :(

But yeah,I LOVE anime!

I have always received shit for it,too,but people eventually left me alone about it.

Sailor moon,Dragon ball z,and Tenchi Muyo got me into anime when I was little! :D

I think one of the reasons why anime is seen in such a negative light is because of the stereotypes associated with western anime fans. I remember my roommate my first year of college finding me on Facebook before we met, and she was upset because she got a "weeaboo" as a roommate. Though after she actually got to know me, she realized I didn't fit her mold for an anime fan is like, and now we're good friends.

Anime has always been in my life, my older brother got me into it...so I have always watched anime. However, the first anime that I think actually spoke to me, was Kyoukai no Kanata (Beyond the Boundary)...I felt a different sort of connection with Akihito and Mirai. Though it was fantasy themed and I couldn't directly relate to their struggle, the ways they reacted to said issues and how the felt were very relatable to my own. I watched that anime just because of a funny gif, and it ended up moving me to tears.

If there was one thing anime helped me accept, it was my flaws. It allowed me to realize I was human, despite what how I acted. 

@Nai I loved that anime, but it was lacking in some fleshing out. I totally understand why you liked it though, I just wish there was more stuff with it. It had a very Haruhi feel to it. 

I think animes are good to watch, they are different from books or movies because animes tend to focus more on individual characters. There is a lot of emotion going on, and it constantly tells us that everyone is important. Although I am not a deep fan, I enjoy watching them.

ChillaKilla

I loved FMA:B as a younger teenager. Nowadays I like reading Korean webseries comics more but I'll always like that show.

I think the reason anime fans get crap about watching anime is because the non anime watchers have such a limited understanding of what anime is.  They probably have seen parts of Dragon Ball, maybe some memes or made fun of scenes from other shows and they know what hentai is, so their view is skewed.  Or they might've been exposed to an off beat anime from the start, which scared them off.  They think their minute experiencs with anime = all anime.  Most non anime watchers that I've encountered say things like "I don't get why people are so into anime," though.  But if I can get them to try a few gateway shows based on their general tastes, I can usually convert them.  XP

Btw, I very rarely get crap for watching anime.  It might be due to most of my friends being anime fans as well.  XD  Discord is a wonderful place that let's me connect with other anime people.  ^-^

My first anime was My Neighbor Totoro, which I was obsessed with as a kid.  My neighbor owned the VHS, and I'd always bug her to watch it or borrow it.  XD  The first anime tv show that I obsessed over was Yu Yu Hakusho.  Hiei was my crush.  <3

I love the beautiful animation style, and the story lines are often so deep and relatable like the video said. I haven't gotten much shit for it though.

I absolutely love anime...

But I also entirely understand why people give it shit.

To begin with, the medium itself has a lot of problems. A lot of modern anime has a very similar art design to the point, where even as a fan, things sometime start looking the same to me. I can only imagine what it's like to an outsider.

Then is the content itself. While there's always been fan-service, these days more shows are built around it. Even if it's not explicitly sexualized, the focus on “moe”. While there's nothing inherently wrong with that and some shows with a lot of sex appeal can have some deeper themes, or at least deeper interpretations, it can come off as a little bit perverted to the outsider.

What can be an even bigger deal is anime fans. A lot of them are... Well, strange. And I say this as a guy who openly embraces his own oddities. I've been to a few cons and there's always people who don't seem to understand boundaries or basic human interaction. Most people are cool and even when they talk about things like waifus, its usually tongue in cheek.  But then there's some that are dead serious.  And these are the people that non-anime fans see.

It's no different for any other subculture though.   The only difference I've noticed is sometimes, gamers and anime fans seem to take it more to heart.

Anywho, I really disliked the second video... Just because I really hate the idea of not looking at things you love critically.   But then again, I'm the sort of guy who looks at shit I love, tries to find reasons to hate it, often does but never loses their passion for loving it.

its just a canvas. you might not think about how much garbage ends up on canvases, but remember that "painting" in the hotel you stayed at?

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

I got hooked on anime & manga in 2003 after watching the first episode of "Wolf's Rain" and it's one of my all-time faves! Most people would laugh about it but it's a real serious part of japanese / asian culture and that's for a reason! Every story's different but there's always some a deep philosophical, social reflection hidden within. It features a unique artistic dramaturgy and music compositions which touches the viewer on a very personal intimate level if you open yourself up to it.

On 4/30/2017 at 10:32 AM, Ryan Wright said:

I got hooked on anime & manga in 2003 after watching the first episode of "Wolf's Rain" and it's one of my all-time faves! Most people would laugh about it but it's a real serious part of japanese / asian culture and that's for a reason! Every story's different but there's always some a deep philosophical, social reflection hidden within. It features a unique artistic dramaturgy and music compositions which touches the viewer on a very personal intimate level if you open yourself up to it.

I would say anime is the only thing that focuses entirely on emotional response, even if exaggerated and unrealistic. It is literally like steroids for emotion. For someone like me, who struggles with expression and emotional range. It helps me understand what I am feeling, and what I am suppose to feel in life. 

ChillaKilla
10 hours ago, skıt said:

I enjoy deep philosophical anime like keijo 

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijo is much deeper and much more philosophical. Come on, the last word in the title even sounds like Nietzsche! And it makes remarkable allusions to Freud's theories on sexuality.

ChillaKilla
19 minutes ago, スバル said:

@ChillaKilla

I love Monster Musume :D 

Who is best girl? I like Zombina and Polt.

1 minute ago, ChillaKilla said:

Who is best girl? I like Zombina and Polt.

That is too hard to choose. I like the Rachnera, Miia, and Draco. 

ChillaKilla
Just now, スバル said:

That is too hard to choose. I like the Rachnera, Miia, and Draco. 

Draco is hilarious tbh. If I was strictly choosing from the main harem I would say Miia, Papi or Rachnera.

1 minute ago, ChillaKilla said:

Draco is hilarious tbh. If I was strictly choosing from the main harem I would say Miia, Papi or Rachnera.

IF I had to choose main heroin, I would probably go with Rachnera. But Miia is a close second. I like Rachnera's personality more. 

ChillaKilla
51 minutes ago, スバル said:

IF I had to choose main heroin, I would probably go with Rachnera. But Miia is a close second. I like Rachnera's personality more. 

Me too. She's not annoying or loud; she's very reserved and mature compared to the rest of them. She kind of has that "estranged outsider" feel to her personality, and just wants to be accepted despite her appearance.

7 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijo is much deeper and much more philosophical. Come on, the last word in the title even sounds like Nietzsche! And it makes remarkable allusions to Freud's theories on sexuality.

yo but keijo has girls fighting with their butts

ChillaKilla
33 minutes ago, skıt said:

yo but keijo has girls fighting with their butts

skit it was sarcasm the show is literally monster girl tiddies

10 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

skit it was sarcasm the show is literally monster girl tiddies

i know but fighting butts > monster girl tiddies 

everyone knows that 

ChillaKilla
1 minute ago, skıt said:

i know but fighting butts > monster girl tiddies 

everyone knows that 

Fighting monster girl butts

oh I see you're a butt guy aren't you

First anime I ever watched was DBZ, but the first anime that ever hit me on an emotional level was Wandering Son.

1 hour ago, スバル said:

Everyone knows the most philosophical anime is Boku no Pico. 

I loved the character design for that one and yet since it was hentai I never could finish it.

Archived