Job Advice?

nerdperson777

nerdperson777

This wasn't ace related so I thought about putting it here.  I hope this is the correct subsection.

So like a month ago, I got a job.  It was quite far for me to go and it didn't pay very much but at least I had a job.  The first two weeks I did about 20 hours each week.  I had never worked a "real" job before so even that tired me out.  Perks of the job was that after a while, I could just work remote.  I'm doing data entry work, which is no-brainer work.  I cleared up the backlog so all I'm doing now is keeping up to date with each week.  I've gone from working 20 hours a week to maybe 2 because I don't have much to do.  I say that it takes as much time as elementary school homework (for most people, because my mom just gave me more work when I was done, thus I never knew what it meant to be finished).  I feel bad because I'm doing exactly the job that I was recruited to do, but I'm not getting the 20-30 hours that was told to me.  Also, I never actually got over 20 hours a week actually, it was just under.

I'm not actually sure what I want now.  I liked being able to work remote but now I don't have much of anything to do.  My mom keeps wondering why I'm so tired even though I work less hours than her.  Comparing a mentally sound person working full time 40 hours to someone ill who gets tired after 20?  Also, I kind of cracked my leg earlier this week so I'm also physically disabled, yay?  I'm thinking that I should apply to more jobs but what if I'm needed in the office for something?  How do people work multiple jobs?  My current prospect right now is being a teacher at the martial arts studio that I frequent.  I still have to work on my teaching skills though because I envisioned myself being a good teacher, until I forgot I had social anxiety and couldn't even talk to toddlers.  There's a square right across the street from my neighborhood where I can get some really low level jobs but I have a degree and I'm not sure what I'm putting it towards.  The company I currently work for wanted me to eventually be a data analyst for them but who knows when that'll be.  Should I continue looking?  Should I get something low level like a cashier in that square?  I need some job advice.

47 minutes ago, nerdperson777 said:

How do people work multiple jobs?

Take one with defined hours and another "look & see" during the rest of the week.

Communicate with your employer. - Ask them when the next workload peak can be expected tell them you planned to *whatever* with your earning... Ask on which day if at all they might need you in the office and look for a (part time) job on the others. If working remote remains an option and they get more work in you can maybe do 2-3h each day and show up on the scheduled day?

I once worked part time in 2 different print shops. one had regular hours on maybe 2 mornings the other was "get it done".

nerdperson777
5 hours ago, Busrider said:

Take one with defined hours and another "look & see" during the rest of the week.

Communicate with your employer. - Ask them when the next workload peak can be expected tell them you planned to *whatever* with your earning... Ask on which day if at all they might need you in the office and look for a (part time) job on the others. If working remote remains an option and they get more work in you can maybe do 2-3h each day and show up on the scheduled day?

I once worked part time in 2 different print shops. one had regular hours on maybe 2 mornings the other was "get it done".

The past couple of weeks have been no extra projects. I emailed my supervisor after he asked if I received my last paycheck. He didn't reply as to whether there was any more work for the week. It seems odd having to ask every week, is there anything more to do? What I'm doing right now isn't even time pressured. I'm just collecting data. 

I hate playing the employment expert. - What I know: A couple of companies can be or at least look pretty disorganized, especially at their outskirts. - If you consider the job OK - it seems at least entirely flexible as it is right now which makes it ideal to pair it with others, keep it and add the missing bits of employment from elsewhere.

Can you find some degree related work in an if needed international job search? - I suppose that's the primary goal for you? If not: Figure out what your more desirable Plan B could be. - Trying everything once is probably the very best approach in that field.

I did retail logistics and even data entry, jack of all trade janitor jobs security and other stuff.

For myself I figured out that I am happier when I don't need to whore out too much of my brain (as in typing data). - I rather do not too demanding production work. - But each to their own and that's why you should try things. The open questions are:

• What is the laziest way for you to earn at least just enough?
  • What might be the best suited career?

Stay flexible (by exploring options).

I do(!) recommend cobbling something together where a part time job pays the essential bills an occasional job adds pocket money and maybe a self employing business will take off some day.

Working multiple jobs is easy if you have a set schedule for each. If you dont, you have to do some serious multicommunicating to make sure that you won't ever be at one job and be scheduled to work the other. All that really goes into it is informing the new job you interview at that you intend to keep your current and then tell your current what days you need for the new one. If you're only getting -20hours per week,  there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to work out your days properly. And I also wouldnt be entirely surprised if they promoted you if you tell them that you plan on getting another job. 

nerdperson777

Alright, I'll be going in tomorrow, well today since it's past midnight, because there's some stuff to do.  I'll see if I can overcome my anxiety and ask about more work or consent to apply to a second job.

Archived