Butter versus Margarine

Pramana

Butter versus Margarine  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, butter or margarine?

• Butter.
    • Margarine.

This poll is closed to new votes

Ever since French chemist Hippolyte Mège-Mouriès registered a patent for oleomargarine in 1869, debate has raged concerning the merits of this vegetable oil-based challenge to the age-old standard of dairy fat. Where do you stand on this question, and why?

TheLittleRabbit
10 minutes ago, Acciuga said:

What's the difference? 

Butter is made from milk

Margarine is hydrogenated vegetable oils.  This is a chemical process where they add hydrogen to the oils to create trans fat, which is typically considered the most harmful type of fat to eat.

If I have to choose between the two, I'd choose butter.  You can make butter easier to spread by blending it with other oils to get the convenience without the trans fat.

Really though, I like coconut oil best.

Anthracite_Impreza

I've grown up on marg so I'm used to that now.

Grumpy Alien

Butter

TheLittleRabbit
10 minutes ago, Pramana said:

I've never thought of using coconut oil on toast before. I'm looking forward to trying it, and fortuitously I've found a recipe providing step by step instructions.

http://www.food.com/recipe/coconut-oil-on-toast-391336

There's also a brand that makes a slightly sweetened blend of peanut butter and coconut oil that is sooo good on hot toast.  I think it's called Earth Balance?

Global dislike?

My parents were & still are a "butter!" household.

When I moved out I faced "OMG! dishwashing :("

I'm a somewhat clever and consequent bastard... - So I figured out: If I just buy cheese slices and toast (or other bread) I can eat almost eternally without the need to wash a butter knife.

(Big)If I wanted to eat one of them, I'd buy margarine, because I understand butter as enslaving; i.e. you have to predict(!) your appetite and take it out of your fridge in advance. <- Absolutely not my style! Also margarine is cheaper = better, because I can afford more useless luxury if I spend less on everyday shit like food.

I do occasionally buy peanut butter. OK it is expensive but delicious and the very best: It goes along with my style of camping; i.e. it does not demand a fridge.

On bread I usually use mustard, unless it's a filling like blue cheese when I don't use a spread. 

Butter makes better mashed potatoes, and is less prone to de-emulsifying if used on a baking tray 

Is it just me, but when I'm given something with margarine in it, I can't believe it's not butter :lol:

So yeah I prefer butter.

Go away with blargharine.

I'm indifferent, but I end up using butter more often.

Even then it's rare though, I often get asked why I have no butter on my toast, sandwich or bread and things like that…

20 hours ago, スバル said:

Butter is more healthy though.

Actually it's not. There are more unsaturated fatty acids in margarine, while there are more saturated in butter. Margarine used to be very much worse than butter because they used to put transfat in there, which is like 20x worse than saturated fat, but most brands cut that out of there product, so margarine is often better for your health than butter is. (Yeah, I did a project on this...)

chair jockey

Butter tastes better to me, but this household stocks margarine, so that's what I eat. On rare occasions I buy a tiny stick of butter just for myself.

Olive oil. Because of its taste and the health benefits.

Also, try sprinkling some black pepper into olive oil and then dipping italian bread in it. It is one of the best things ever.

46 minutes ago, Ocean Eyes said:

Olive oil. Because of its taste and the health benefits.

Also, try sprinkling some black pepper into olive oil and then dipping italian bread in it. It is one of the best things ever.

I've tried this before, it's fantastic!

I got introduced to it when I was on holidays in Greece. :)

I'm indifferent tbh.

2 hours ago, Pramana said:

I'm impressed that so far no one has mentioned the urban myth that margarine is one molecule away from being plastic.

Yeah, I have to laugh whenever someone says that in an attempt to demonized margarine, since one molecule actually drastically changes a substance. Hell, water is one molecule away from hydrogen peroxide. :P 

I heard that margarine is one molecule away from being plastic, though :D

J. van Deijck
13 minutes ago, Homer said:

I heard that margarine is one molecule away from being plastic, though :D

I heard the same xD

I hate margarine. I use only butter, and if there's no butter around, I use nothing at all.

1 hour ago, Gloomy said:

Yeah, I have to laugh whenever someone says that in an attempt to demonized margarine, since one molecule actually drastically changes a substance. Hell, water is one molecule away from hydrogen peroxide. :P 

I literally just came here to post that exact thing :P

Team margarine - it's way easier to spread, and I don't notice any real taste difference between it and butter anyway.

Margarine.

Slightly healthier fatty chains, and tastes effectively the same.

Plus if used in baking, I don't have to worry about whether or not anyone who might eat it is vegan.

I guess some of the molecules in margarine are from a chemical formula perspective close to some plastics. As are some butter molecules. As are most molecules. Turns out carbon and hydrogen are like everywhere! :o

Heck, I can turn 100 pounds of human into 11.083 pounds of polyethylene - and into significantly more if I'm allowed to use more complex plastics!

Archived