*New thread* Best books for Aromantics?

SamwiseLovesLife

SamwiseLovesLife

Hey guys I'm posting this for an updated thread on previous topics about books without a romantic sub (or main) plot. Anyone on the Aro-spectrum or who just doesn't like to always have romantic plots in their fiction books.

If you are Aromantic, which books are your favourites?

Any Authors that have published more than one book without romance?

Which genres (fiction) have the most non-romantic stories?

happilyirrelevant

(copy-pasted from my reply on an ace book rec thread)

I think Miss Marple (from Agatha Christie's mysteries)  has never married and never expresses romantic interest in others, to my knowledge. The books do sometimes have romantic subplots with other characters though.

And the Father Brown stories by G.K. Chesterton never have Father Brown acting sexual or romantic I believe.

Neither of those characters is described as actually aro-ace but they act like they might be.

Any - better than human interaction!!!

fuzzipueo

If you are Aromantic, which books are your favourites? I don't mind some romance in my books, but I do occasionally need to read other things that don't have any romance in them. Dune (all 6 books) by Frank Herbert, The Vorkosigan Saga and the Chalion books by Lois McMaster Bujold (yes she includes romance), Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody Mysteries, and any number of other books.

Any Authors that have published more than one book without romance? Robert Heinlein with his juveniles, including Starship Troopers, Isaac Asimov Foundation Trilogy, H.P. Lovecraft with his Chthulu stories, Alan Dean Foster's Pip and Flinx Adventures & the rest of the Amalgamation series, S.K. Dunstall's first book Linesman has no romance (interesting book too, if a bit slow off the start).

Which genres (fiction) have the most non-romantic stories? Believe it or not, Science Fiction, especially hard or military SF, rarely has romance - if there is, it's pretty much a subplot and nothing to get in the way of the action.

I'm not aro, but I would highly recommend The Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy by Elizabeth Moon. The main character is almost definitely aromantic asexual, though the words are not used. It's also just a great story.

SamwiseLovesLife
On 01/05/2017 at 7:19 PM, Andiamo said:

I'm not aro, but I would highly recommend The Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy by Elizabeth Moon. The main character is almost definitely aromantic asexual, though the words are not used. It's also just a great story.

This looks great! thank you :)

SamwiseLovesLife
On 01/05/2017 at 6:54 PM, fuzzipueo said:

Which genres (fiction) have the most non-romantic stories? Believe it or not, Science Fiction, especially hard or military SF, rarely has romance - if there is, it's pretty much a subplot and nothing to get in the way of the action.

It seems like this is the case! I just wish I could find more fantasy books like Clariel by Garth Nix

SamwiseLovesLife
On 27/04/2017 at 9:57 PM, Tintinfan said:

Any - better than human interaction!!!

Haha unfortunately I am also cursed with being hugely extraverted and needing human interraction, just less romance!

fuzzipueo
44 minutes ago, SamwiseLovesLife said:
On 5/1/2017 at 11:54 AM, fuzzipueo said:

It seems like this is the case! I just wish I could find more fantasy books like Clariel by Garth Nix

I tried to read Clariel (or rather listen to the book) but just couldn't get into the story. I suspect Mr. Nix and I will not mix well. LOL.

Arvid of Rivendell

My favorite book right now is Challenger Deep - the main character isn't aro-spec, but the book focuses on his mental illness (schizophrenia) and he doesn't magically get better because of a romantic relationship. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this one!

Books like The Help, The Book Thief, and Code Name Verity focus on platonic relationships.
Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase series introduces a love interest (who happens to be AMAB genderfluid, for anyone interested in books with trans characters) in the second book, but also puts a lot of focus on platonic relationships. 

Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus series (fantasy) has no romance, but plenty of wit/sarcasm. 

In Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series, one character is interested in another romantically, but there is no actual confession/action until the end of the last book. Most of the series is focused on other things (AU WWI, so war and stuff). 

...That's all I can think of right now. 

SamwiseLovesLife
15 hours ago, Arvid of Rivendell said:

My favorite book right now is Challenger Deep - the main character isn't aro-spec, but the book focuses on his mental illness (schizophrenia) and he doesn't magically get better because of a romantic relationship. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this one!

Books like The Help, The Book Thief, and Code Name Verity focus on platonic relationships.
Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase series introduces a love interest (who happens to be AMAB genderfluid, for anyone interested in books with trans characters) in the second book, but also puts a lot of focus on platonic relationships. 

Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus series (fantasy) has no romance, but plenty of wit/sarcasm. 

In Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series, one character is interested in another romantically, but there is no actual confession/action until the end of the last book. Most of the series is focused on other things (AU WWI, so war and stuff). 

...That's all I can think of right now. 

The Help is one of my favourite books :) I hadn't come across Magnus chase, it sounds good

The first three books in Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea Quartet don't have much romance in them. Because the main character, Ged/Sparrowhawk, shows no interest in romance, even when a female character seems interested in him (second book) I wondered if he was asexual and aromantic. Then in the fourth book I found out that he'd stayed a virgin until he was an old man because that was a condition of being a wizard (!). After he losing his powers he enters a romantic relationship with and has sex with a woman in the fourth book.

My favourite book is Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire, which is an amazing book and features an asexual main character who does not enter a relationship because shit is going down and she has stuff to do. Also Any Way the Wind Blows by Carlin Grant (which is only $1.99 as an ebook!) is also great and is about two ace/aro ladies.

SamwiseLovesLife

I read Clariel by Garth Nix, I loved it.

Also I believe Skeeter from The Help could be considered a greyromantic (or romance indifferent Aro) Asexual

Archived