My Squish asked me out and I said yes, Help!

Lie-RennyValkyrie_

Lie-RennyValkyrie_

So, It was pretty obvious that one of my male friends has a crush one me and my friends all teased me about it saying that they ship us and stuff like that, assuming I liked him back.

Anyway last night it was my school social and I spent most of my night with him (much to the annoyance of my friends) and did things like sit down next to him and watch him play stuff on his phone and follow him around (in a non-creepy way trust me). He was really nice and sat down with me when it was obvious I didn't want to dance and things like that. I knew spending so much time with him would end badly (by badly I mean him thinking that I like him) but I have a really big platonic crush on him, and also my other friends were being boring.

After the social I was waiting with him for his parent to come pick him up (we aren't old enough to drive) and he asked me if he could ask me something (if I wasn't panicking knowing what the question was I probably would have said something about the fact he just did ask me something but that's not really relevant) I said sure and he pulled me aside and said something along the lines of 'I've had a really great night tonight and I was wondering well I was wondering if you would like to go out with me' and I just stood their internally freaking out and just said 'um' a couple of times (so classy I know) then he said something like 'don't worry I don't want to rush think about it okay' and walked off and I just stood there for a bit until my friend walked up and asked me what happened.

After I got home I texted him and I ended up saying yes (I know I'm stupid) and he seemed really happy and he must have told his friends (one of his friends is best friend with one of mine) because today my friends are all going on about how happy they are for us and how they ship us and that we finally got together. By now everyone I'm friends with and my whole class (if not more) probably knows we are dating.

I'm asexual (not that that is really relevant cause we are underage anyway) and questioning aromantic but I kinda want a romantic relationship with him (well more just one in general) even though I don't have a romantic attraction to him. My best friend (one that doesn't know him and so doesn't ship us) says I should breakup with him but I'm not sure cause I really want to be at least friends with him and I'm scared he wouldn't want to be my friend. What should I do? 

God of the Forest

-

I have always wondered why 'asking out' someone is supposed to be romantic. Maybe that's a language trap, idk.

Assuming I went ahead and asked someone "Hey, how about we go get a cup of coffee or your preferred equivalent some time?", that's asking someone out in my book. Yet it isn't inherently romantic...

I'd say since you're not attracted to him romantically, you can either make yourself very, consistently, annoyingly clear about just that and go or not go altogether. Just dating him to fill the void wouldn't be good for either of you (plus, it would be one hell of a bitch move)

Lie-RennyValkyrie_

By asking out he meant 'do you want to be my girlfriend' as we dont actually have a date or any sort of meet up planned. 

I think I'll just explain to him the situation and that I'm aromantic and let him decide whether he is okay with dating me even though I can't return his feelings or if he wants to break up, I have a feeling it would be the latter. This is provided of course that I that I don't turn into a nervous crying wreck unable to speak.

Archived