Guys, I'm not colorblind

*Ren*

For years I have been arguing with my family about weather or not I'm colorblind. The thing is, its genetically impossible for me to be colorblind. The other day I want at the paint store looking for samples because, naturally, I was painting a wall in my room instead of doing homework. I actually almost asked someone for help because I literally couldn't tell what splotches were the color I wanted and what colors were not, and I don't start conversations with people. My mother says I'm color deficient. My conclusion? I'm not colorblind, I'm just bad at colors.

Anyone relate?

7 minutes ago, *Ren* said:

For years I have been arguing with my family about weather or not I'm colorblind. The thing is, its genetically impossible for me to be colorblind. The other day I want at the paint store looking for samples because, naturally, I was painting a wall in my room instead of doing homework. I actually almost asked someone for help because I literally couldn't tell what splotches were the color I wanted and what colors were not, and I don't start conversations with people. My mother says I'm color deficient. My conclusion? I'm not colorblind, I'm just bad at colors.

Anyone relate?

There are pretty simple tests to check if you're colour blind, I believe. But beyond saying "YES THAT IS GREEN AND THAT IS YELLOW" then colour names and what matches up is lost on me :D 

My mom will discern between various shades of blue, green, orange, etc and has a name for nearly all of those colors.

Me, even though I recognize those differences I usually don't give a shit, they're just "blue", "green", "orange" to me.

There's a difference between being colorblind and simply not caring/knowledgeable about every little different shade.

Are you male? (on mobile)

Males cant see as many shades as females, since advanced colour sight is carried in the X chromosome. So don't feel bad.

Just go by names, and ask for help more. 

out of curiosity, why is it genetically impossible for you to be colorblind?

my 2 cents is that "colorblind" or "bad at colors," it doesn't matter if the end result is effectively the same.  ;)

Don't worry, most people aren't great at naming color shades.  I often use Wikipedia to help narrow down what I'm looking for (e.g. Shades of red).

34 minutes ago, スバル said:

Males cant see as many shades as females, since advanced colour sight is carried in the X chromosome.

What do you mean?  The X chromosome is involved in colour perception, but everyone has at least one.  Where did you learn this?

Scottthespy

There are various types of colour blindness...the most common one you hear about being 'red-green' colour blindness, making it so that you see the world pretty much as a mixture of yellows and blues, which also results in a lot of grays. The thing about colours is...its really hard to tell if you're colour blind without taking a test! "I can see red, that thing right there is red!" Well sure, that's what red looks like to you...you've grown up your whole life with people pointing to that hue and saying 'red', so you know that that's what red looks like. But with most types of colour blindness, you would wind up with a lot of shades that look totally different to other people, look almost identical to you. 

Nice thing is, you can literally look up 'colour blindness tests' on youtube or google, and you'll find ones that are legitimate, unlike IQ and aptitude tests that are often pulled right out of some one's ass. That being said...

Research suggests that there's actually a connection between having a NAME for a colour and being able to tell it apart from others. If you know sevenhundred shades of red, all by name? You'll be able to tell similar ones apart much more easily than some one who doesn't have the words. You can be shown a shade in one room, then go to a different room to look at a different but very similar shade, and the more names of shades of that colour you know, the more likely it seems that you'll be able to tell them apart. Something to do with organization in the brain. That which we have titles for is recalled faster and with more clarity.  So, maybe you just need to read more paint chip names.^^

RGB has 3 8 bit numbers or 24 bit colour that determine the levels of Red Green and Blue so 256*256*256 colours with each color ranging from 0-255 so there's 16777216 possible colours.

18 minutes ago, Kelenag said:

What do you mean?  The X chromosome is involved in colour perception, but everyone has at least one.  Where did you learn this?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/09/120907-men-women-see-differently-science-health-vision-sex/

If you have two X chromosomes, you have twice as much ability to discern color, than with just one. Sure, both genders can see color, but the ability to discern is linked to the X chromosome. 

3 minutes ago, Akui++ said:

RGB has 3 8 bit numbers or 24 bit colour that determine the levels of Red Green and Blue so 256*256*256 colours with each color ranging from 0-255 so there's 16777216 possible colours.

Semi outdated.

A decent rig is supposed to have 10bit per channel these days. While 8 bit color cuts the cake somehow it is admittedly not enough. - Same about CMYK printing with 256 shades per color in theory.

Color blindness or deficiency isn't just about seeing colors differently. Someone who is actually color blind/deficient won't be able to see any difference between some shades that a non-color blind person will be able to see a difference between. Also, there's a continuum from being totally color blind (only seeing shades of gray; very rare) to barely any deficiency. Between the extremes someone might have trouble seeing any difference between shades of red, for example, or they might not be able to tell bright red from less bright or any shade of red from brown (or whichever colors it is they have deficiencies with).

Color perception is a fascinating subject. It's not just a matter of what the eyes do, but also the brain. And things like having words for colors (which varies in different languages/cultures) has an impact. Other things can also impact color perception, such as situational things (like the famous blue/black//white/gold dress a few years ago), which can also vary from one person to another (look up white balancing, for example), ambient lighting, surrounding colors, etc. I have walked into various peoples' offices at work and some monitors will look quite pink/magenta to me, but when I would say something the person who works in that office would say they didn't see any pink at all.

There are even some people (mostly or entirely female/AFAB) who can distinguish more variations in color than most people, due to differences in genetics.

Because of X chromosomes, female humans are less likely to be color deficient and more likely to be tetrachromatic. I am curious about the statement that because of genetics you can't be color blind. What is the basis for that statement? (I don't mean that as criticism or doubt, just curiosity)

3 hours ago, スバル said:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/09/120907-men-women-see-differently-science-health-vision-sex/

If you have two X chromosomes, you have twice as much ability to discern color, than with just one. Sure, both genders can see color, but the ability to discern is linked to the X chromosome. 

Thanks for the link, I didn't know that this was a difference between the sexes.  But, neither the National Geographic article nor the original journal article say that these differences are because females have are 2 times better at discerning colour because they have 2 X chromosomes.  Yes, (usually) AFAB people have 2 X chromosomes and AMAB people have one, but one of the Xs is inactivated if you're AFAB.  The journal article does say that activation may be a possible explanation, but it also mentions a few others and, in the end, it says "At this point we have no idea how sex provides this influence. In the absence of any additional data we feel it is premature to provide detailed speculations about possible factors."  

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but it was well meant.  There's a lot of false info on the internet and I don't want people to believe it's true until there's evidence to support it. :)

Spoiler

Citation for the journal article: 
Abramov, I., Gordon, J., Feldman, O., & Chavarga, A. (2012). Sex and vision II: color appearance of monochromatic lights. Biology of Sex Differences, 3, 21. Retrieved from http://go.galegroup.com.subzero.lib.uoguelph.ca/ps/i.do?p=AONE&sw=w&u=guel77241&v=2.1&it=r&id=GALE|A306767586&asid=3dc9eb92378e8fe8371be3ba88139b15

19 minutes ago, Kelenag said:

Thanks for the link, I didn't know that this was a difference between the sexes.  But, neither the National Geographic article nor the original journal article say that these differences are because females have are 2 times better at discerning colour because they have 2 X chromosomes.  Yes, (usually) AFAB people have 2 X chromosomes and AMAB people have one, but one of the Xs is inactivated if you're AFAB.  The journal article does say that activation may be a possible explanation, but it also mentions a few others and, in the end, it says "At this point we have no idea how sex provides this influence. In the absence of any additional data we feel it is premature to provide detailed speculations about possible factors."  

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but it was well meant.  There's a lot of false info on the internet and I don't want people to believe it's true until there's evidence to support it. :)

Reveal hidden contents

Citation for the journal article: 
Abramov, I., Gordon, J., Feldman, O., & Chavarga, A. (2012). Sex and vision II: color appearance of monochromatic lights. Biology of Sex Differences, 3, 21. Retrieved from http://go.galegroup.com.subzero.lib.uoguelph.ca/ps/i.do?p=AONE&sw=w&u=guel77241&v=2.1&it=r&id=GALE|A306767586&asid=3dc9eb92378e8fe8371be3ba88139b15

Well, you are not wrong. I was just quoting from my "past memory". I read a lot of things, and sometimes it's out of date or contradictory. I only realize it after I share it most of the time. 

Divide By Zero

I'm colour blind. I'm not sure how to explain what the world looks like to me but there are certain colours that I sometimes have difficulty distinguishing between. Sometimes it leads to funny situations. Years ago in elementary school there was an assignment in an art class to paint a Christmas theme picture. I was in the middle of painting a Christmas tree when one of my classmates asked me why my tree was orange. I thought it was green!

Luftschlosseule

When you can't tell on the paint samples which is the colour you want, does it really matter which tone you get? Or how do you know which tone you want? I am kind of confused over this.

I am the exact opposite, I see more differences than most people. I'd say genetic reasons and training: One of my hobbies is painting, I prefer acrylic paint, and there you mix colours until you get the shade you want very easily. If you want to have light and shade in your picture, there is no way you're not going to mix yourself. If you didn't finish the part you were working on, you've got to mix more of the shade when you resume your work, and that can get quite tricky.

If I am informed correctly, the difference between AMAB and AFAB people is a result from the hunting-gatherer times at which AFAB were responsible for collecting edible plants, which in turn indicate by colour if they're ripe or should be left alone. If you could distinguish more shades, you had an evolutionary advantage.

AMABs, on the other hand, are told to be better at locating where a sound comes from, because that came in quite handy at the hunt. I learned that in school, don't know how valid this is, but I am really, really, really bad at locating the source of a sound.

I was curious about the genetic thing, and I found the following site:

http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/causes-of-colour-blindness/

According to this, colour blindness is inherited in most cases. But:

Some people also acquire the condition as a result of long-standing diseases such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis, some liver diseases and almost all eye diseases.

But that's not a complete list. There's a whole page dedicated to acquired conditions:

http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/acquired-colour-vision-defects/

To me, it sounds more like a problem with colour perception. I recently found out one of my coworkers is colour blind (red/green) when he asked me to double check the colours on some chocolates (a rose painted red and green). I had heard about how colour blindness works, so I confirmed with him that he saw these colours as shades of grey.

My bf, on the other hand, calls things turquoise when I see blue. I have a red/orange ombre scarf and he just calls it red.  We have disagreements about colour all the time because it's clear he perceives colour differently than I do.

Sherlocks
On 4/24/2017 at 4:07 PM, *Ren* said:

Anyone relate?

Some people are just more artsy 

Archived