Meaning of akoisexual and akoiromantic.

So lithsexual and lithromantic come from the greek lithos for stone and apparently can be traced back to terms from lesbian communities. The preferred terms tho seem to be akoisexual and akoiromantic. What is the etymology of the prefix akoi then? A quick google search did not help me...

http://aromantic.wikia.com/wiki/Akoiromantic

• Like 2
AVEN #1 fan

I think "akoi(ne)-" is problematic too, I see  people are using "apo-" instead now.

• Like 1

Totally pulling stuff out of thin air, but I decided to focus on the "koi" part of the word and found that other than a carp, it can also mean "love", "tender passion" and "feelings of the ancients" in Japanese depending on how it's used. Putting an "a" in front of something negates the word (ie. aromantic = not romantic) so by that logic akoiromantic would be like a double negative.  Romantic, but not romantic.  Maybe a good starting point, or just a neat coincidence.

http://www.kanjijapanese.com/en/dictionary-japanese-english/koi

• Like 3

Some people say the "lith-" labels are problematic, because they appropriate lesbian culture.

Other people say not using them is problematic, because it's something akin to lesbian erasure.

Either way, someone's going to be offended and you're going to be problematic...but everything and everyone can be found problematic by someone, so go with whichever one you prefer.

I identified as lithromantic for a long while (maybe I still do...I dunno) and no one ever took issue with it. I personally don't see the need for having three different words for the same orientation.