Percentage of asexuals in society?

Hi guys!

I'm creating / improving an Android App I made for D&D Dungeon Masters.

In this application, NPCs are randomly generated, and in-between the random generation is Sexuality. I want the App to be as inclusive as it can be, but I'm having some doubts regarding the correctness of some statistics.

I'm currently generating sexuality as

• 80% Heterosexual
  • 10% Homosexual
  • 9% Bisexual
  • 1% Asexual.

I'm not sure if this 1% is actually right if you consider numbers from society.

I tried searching for the actual number, but found that most of the papers that gave me a number were very tendencious (for example, asking in an asexual comunity of 100 members whether they consider themselves asexual or not, etc etc).

Could anyone tell me the actual numbers, and if possible, provide me with source to verify? This is a really important matter for me.

@Edit

For those interested in the application, here it is. I'm not sure if this is considered advertising. If it is, tell me and I remove the link!

• Like 2
God of the Forest

You are correct! It is about 1%, thank you for checking, thats really considerate of you. And no, its not really considered advertising since the app is free

• Like 1
AVEN #1 fan
10 minutes ago, Kerooker said:

@RipleyJ

Could you provide me with any source? I guessed about 1%, but I shouldn't be based on guesses XP

Wikipedia?

Honestly those statistical numbers aren't gospel so maybe we should stop treating them as such. Remember there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Hell the Kinsey Institute only puts the number of identifying homosexuals and bisexuals at 3.5%. That said they also report 8.2% has engaged in same-sex sexual behavior while 11% have said they have experienced same-sex attraction. The problem with all these numbers are the surveys are entirely based on self-reporting. 

As for your app don't worry about matching the real world. If you want to include sexual orientation than go right ahead. Personally I would just give each one the same weight.

Didn't the 1% figure come from a British study (sometime in the past 20 or 30 years) where 1% of respondents indicated they had never experienced sexual attraction?

1 minute ago, SummerBee said:

Didn't the 1% figure come from a British study (sometime in the past 20 or 30 years) where 1% of respondents indicated they had never experienced sexual attraction?

I actually made a random anedoctal guess based on my facebook friends, and counted those who are not very interested in sexual relations versus the rest, and it came about 0.7%, I rounded it up.

That's why I would like to have actual numbers x.x

There are no actual numbers.  You'd  have to have responses from everyone everywhere -- Europe, Asia, the islands, the Middle East, Australia -- everywhere.  No one is trying to do that kind of survey, nor could they, because there are a number of countries who wouldn't allow it.   There's also the fact that there are people who haven't heard the term "asexual" so they wouldn't associate themselves with it.  

Actually it's quite easy to make an accurate statistical research, I just think that this is not the most important thing to study for most of the scientifical community.

13 minutes ago, Kerooker said:

Actually it's quite easy to make an accurate statistical research, I just think that this is not the most important thing to study for most of the scientifical community.

I hate to break it to you, but it's not. Not only do you have to create decent non-leading or confusing survey, which is not even taking into account the truthfulness of the participates, you also have to find a proper sample. Unless you expect the survey to be taken by everyone in the world, finding an accurate representative sample is a herculean task. This is a big reason statistics can easily be misleading, either by accident or design.