Sexual repression?

Member116379

Could someone please enlighten me as to the signs of sexual repression? I'm so confused right now as to whether I'm a heteroromantic (grey)asexual, sexually repressed, inexperienced...? :blink::mellow: or have I possibly and subconsciously put a barrier up against sex in my mind? Or have I just over thought my sexuality so much that I've pressured myself into thinking that sex is such a big deal?

• Like 2
Member54880

There isn't a universal definition of sexual repression, but the way I've interpreted it is desiring sex and being willing to have it, but being unable to usually due to shame or fear instead of abstaining more willingly. Some people with very strict upbringings about sex have said fear and shame about sex and sexuality, usually before marriage, kept them from acting on their desires, but didn't stop them from still wanting it.

• Like 1

Personally I think sexual repression involves more than just awkward/complicated feelings towards sexual interactions with a partner. Usually there are issues with the whole concept of sexuality, and not just your own sexuality either. I think what I am trying to say if you have desire to explore sexuality with an open mind I wouldn't call you repressed. I have some uneasy feelings towards sexual activities myself, but I wouldn't consider myself repressed. Hell I think you asking this question points to you not being repressed. Finally not liking something doesn't mean you are repressed, you can just not like things.

• Like 1
Janus the Fox

I'd think repression is more of a conscious denial of sexual or romantic feelings for others and so on.  There's countless reasons why homosexuals had to deny who they are, even on a personal level for the last past 50+ years.  Having all those homosexual feelings, thoughts, attractions to only deny that freedom of thought, to the point of internally bottle it up

• Like 1