Differences

I have been woundering lately about attraction. I always believed there as either romantic attraction or physical attraction. However i think there may be more types of attraction other than the 2 specified. Does anyone else share this view?

sweetbitter

They say that there are 4 types of attraction: sexual, romantic, sensual and aesthetic. For me it makes sense. 

11 minutes ago, Arrow89 said:

Wouldnt sexual and aestetic be the same

I guess it depends on you wanted to have sex or you don't. Most celebrities have nice face but do I want to have sex with them? NO.

Anthracite_Impreza
11 minutes ago, Arrow89 said:

Wouldnt sexual and aestetic be the same

Aesthetic is finding someone/thing attractive, sexual is having a sexual aspect to that attractive.

1 hour ago, sweetbitter said:

They say that there are 4 types of attraction: sexual, romantic, sensual and aesthetic. For me it makes sense. 

There are squishes, too. So not 4, but 5. 

chair jockey

I'm in the minority here, because I think attraction is just one thing that has a variety of specifics. What attracts you about another person, and how it interacts with the way you are, is what causes us to think that there are many distinct types of attraction. To us they all feel different, and the differences affect what we want and what we do, but how they work is fundamentally the same. And because attractions are so specific and case-by-case, trying to categorize them as distinct types of things can be a nightmare.

• Like 2
Anthracite_Impreza
27 minutes ago, chair jockey said:

I'm in the minority here, because I think attraction is just one thing that has a variety of specifics. What attracts you about another person, and how it interacts with the way you are, is what causes us to think that there are many distinct types of attraction. To us they all feel different, and the differences affect what we want and what we do, but how they work is fundamentally the same. And because attractions are so specific and case-by-case, trying to categorize them as distinct types of things can be a nightmare.

I agree with that, but I think when it comes to explaining it it's just easier to go with specific labels a lot of the time.

chair jockey
Just now, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I agree with that, but I think when it comes to explaining it it's just easier to go with specific labels a lot of the time.

I find labels useful only when talking to people who aren't interested in the details. And note I don't mean identity, I mean labels.