Wait a minute... am I aromantic?

999papercranes

999papercranes

I'm struggling a bit with determining my romantic orientation, which I know isn't a super big deal but I'm a person who really likes the comfort of labels so if anyone could help I'd really love that! I'm relatively new to the ace community. 

As my profile states, I identify as quoiromantic. (I'm not entirely certain of this label, though.) The thing is, I'd love a nice romantic relationship or a QPR but I'm not sure I actually experience romantic attraction towards people. Does that make sense? 

I want a relationship where I can be emotionally open with them and I can cuddle, sleep beside them, live with them, and all that stuff (no kissing or anything though.) 

I can't determine the difference between romantic and platonic attraction, as my current romantic label suggests. But I've been thinking... All I've experienced so far are squishes. I've never wanted to romantically be with anyone that I've met. Maybe I just haven't met the right person? But that seems highly unlikely because I find a lot of people aesthetically attractive and they have really great personalities and I have yet to have a single crush. I'm only fifteen, but still. 

I don't know. I tend to overthink a lot. I'd greatly appreciate any advice! :) 

AllenDevillate

I think you might be aromantic. I also believe I am aromantic, and I haven't had a single crush either. I've had a platonic relationship before, and the best way I can describe it is as mutual fliriting for a long time, but not wanting anything more or less.

Sorry for the weird question, but do you think you will be interested in sex? If yes, then I'm pretty sure you're just aromantic and still young. If no, then I think you're aromantic and asexual.

Hope this helps and answers your questions. Remember, I'm also new to this, so you don't have to accept anything I say.

I feel like quoiromantic is the label that fits to what you described, but aromantic also fits you too, from what I heard!

Do whatever works for you. :)

Quoiromantic is just a subunit of aromantic anyway, so you can call yourself aromantic if you wish. ^-^

999papercranes
1 hour ago, AllenDevillate said:

Sorry for the weird question, but do you think you will be interested in sex? If yes, then I'm pretty sure you're just aromantic and still young. If no, then I think you're aromantic and asexual.

I don't mind the question! I'm not interested in sex. I'm asexual and sex-neutral. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it! :) I'll have to take this into consideration...

1 hour ago, light-brush said:

I feel like quoiromantic is the label that fits to what you described, but aromantic also fits you too, from what I heard!

Do whatever works for you. :)

Quoiromantic is just a subunit of aromantic anyway, so you can call yourself aromantic if you wish. ^-^

Thank you! I wasn't aware quoiromanticism was a branch of aromanticism... now I feel silly. I guess this answers my question! 

At 15, you're still developing. You might be aro indeed, but there's a chance that things might look different in a couple of months or a year or so. Same goes for sex. I'm nof trying to give you the old "You just haven't found the right person" bs, just encouraging you to keep an open mind and not hang on to a label. You're a human being, not a bag of potatoes :)

I tend to form close friendships "instead" of romantic stuff. (Put it in quotes because they don't actually replace anything). The only difference I managed to figure out so far is limerence (and the physical stuff - sex and all the things leading up to it).

(Why would quoi be a sub of aro? It just means "questioning". That could come out either way, it seems pretty useless to pre-box it.)

• Like 1