Here's a Late Introduction

Korengi

Hi all,

I recently came across this website again after about two years since first signing up. Life suddenly got very busy with uni and work shortly after joining!

I plan to lurk the forums more frequently since the summer holidays are fast approaching and I'll be stuck indoors typing away for my income, so I thought it'd only be polite to introduce myself.

I'm a 22 year old aromantic asexual (sex-repulsed) individual from the south of England. I've been aromantic and asexual all my life (despite one relationship lasting a few years and a few very short ones). I don't often feel the need to express my asexuality unless a related conversation spirals in my direction (i.e. whether or not I want children, marriage, sex and/or a relationship and why). I have come out to my parents, my best friend, hopeful romantics/sexuals and a small group of university peers. Some took it well, others did not.

I think I initially signed up to this website in 2015 because I was feeling especially lonely and confused - this website helped me to define who I am in a way that made me feel less alone, and even welcome. I have yet to meet another asexual soul in person, but I hope to one day do so. I can imagine we'd have quite a good chat.

In my free time I scuba dive, swim, walk and play with my lovely dog, go on walks or to various events with university societies, read a book, play games, and meet up with friends to eat delicious food/drink and have a good chat.

Just to be clear: I am not looking for a relationship; rather a chance to chat to fellow asexuals. I hope to lurk around these forums more often and join in on debates or discussions.

Please feel free to ask any questions, and you're encouraged to tell me a little about yourself and your experiences! :)

- Korengi

MakeupJunkie4

Hello and welcome! 😊♠🍰 I joined a couple weeks ago. I'm an American and I'm 30. I work as a makeup artist. Nice to meet you!

chair jockey

I'm scared of scuba diving! :D To my untrained and not entirely informed mind, there's so much risk of drowning and decompressive illness that I'd be less unlikely to take up parachuting, and that's pretty damned unlikely in itself. Call me a stodgy low-risk guy if you want. But your other spare-time activities sound like really nice things to do, and it sounds like you stay active enough to have some chance at happiness and a longer life expectancy.

As someone who has enough personal problems for ten other people, I'm glad to see fairly together people sign up here. It helps strengthen the conviction that being asexual is just a normal part of a person's nature and doesn't necessarily imply other problems. Sure, there are problems that are associated with asexuality more strongly than with other things, such as conflict with peergroups and family about being sexually active and having children, but I don't believe there is a single negative that absolutely must be part of a person's life just because they're asexual. It's fairly important that people know that being asexual doesn't have to mean a person was abused as a child, has mental illness, or had a bastard for an ex-husband.

Welcome to AVEN and enjoy your time here.

9 minutes ago, Jenna444 said:

Hello and welcome! 😊♠🍰 I joined a couple weeks ago. I'm an American and I'm 30. I work as a makeup artist. Nice to meet you!

Hi Jenna, thanks for the welcome! Working as a makeup artist sounds fun but very challenging. I have enough trouble trying to apply eyeliner evenly on myself! :D

3 minutes ago, chair jockey said:

I'm scared of scuba diving! :D To my untrained and not entirely informed mind, there's so much risk of drowning and decompressive illness that I'd be less unlikely to take up parachuting, and that's pretty damned unlikely in itself. Call me a stodgy low-risk guy if you want. But your other spare-time activities sound like really nice things to do, and it sounds like you stay active enough to have some chance at happiness and a longer life expectancy.

As someone who has enough personal problems for ten other people, I'm glad to see fairly together people sign up here. It helps strengthen the conviction that being asexual is just a normal part of a person's nature and doesn't necessarily imply other problems. Sure, there are problems that are associated with asexuality more strongly than with other things, such as conflict with peergroups and family about being sexually active and having children, but I don't believe there is a single negative that absolutely must be part of a person's life just because they're asexual. It's fairly important that people know that being asexual doesn't have to mean a person was abused as a child, has mental illness, or had a bastard for an ex-husband.

Welcome to AVEN and enjoy your time here.

Hi chair jockey, thanks also for the welcome. Haha, you're not wrong there - scuba diving isn't one of the safest hobbies, but it is incredibly fun! It's another world beneath the water.

Sorry to hear of your personal problems. I won't hide the fact that I have been diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder, but I do not believe that this holds great significance in relation to my asexuality. I wholeheartedly agree that asexuality should be seen as 'another normal' rather than a problem. Assigning the term 'problem' to asexuality, in my opinion, implies that it needs fixing. That's laughable! 

Welcome and hiya! :cake:

tumblr_lmph4bUctG1qclt3z.gif

MakeupJunkie4
3 hours ago, Korengi said:

Hi Jenna, thanks for the welcome! Working as a makeup artist sounds fun but very challenging. I have enough trouble trying to apply eyeliner evenly on myself! 

Eyeliner can be easier to apply if you tilt your chin upward and look down into the mirror, instead of head-on. In case you haven't tried it already. 😉 I have an anxiety disorder too, BTW. You're not alone. 💞

Hi and welcome! :cake::cake:

I'm originally from the south of England too :) If you want to meet other asexuals in person, then you might like to check out the UK and Ireland subforum in Meetup Mart - the UK meetup scene is pretty active, so it's quite likely that you'll find something organised relatively near to you. I've been going to the meets since I joined in 2015, and I can definitely recommend them :)

On a slightly more official note:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

On 21 April 2017 at 4:45 PM, sea-lemon said:

Hi and welcome! :cake::cake:

I'm originally from the south of England too :) If you want to meet other asexuals in person, then you might like to check out the UK and Ireland subforum in Meetup Mart - the UK meetup scene is pretty active, so it's quite likely that you'll find something organised relatively near to you. I've been going to the meets since I joined in 2015, and I can definitely recommend them :)

On a slightly more official note:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Thanks for the welcome and handy info! 

Archived