Toilet Paper Roll (Over or Under)

Pramana

Toilet Paper Roll (Over or Under)  

170 members have voted

1. 1. When changing a roll of toilet paper, do you prefer to orientate it so that the paper falls over or under the roll?

• Over.
    • Under.
    • Either way. I have no preference.
    • I don't change toilet paper rolls. I leave that task for other people.

This poll is closed to new votes

Thanks for starting the interesting topic & the Wiki link.

To me "over" seemed more natural. - In a dispenser with a lid you can use the lid's edge to assist with tearing the paper apart or at least see clearly if you are taking one or two sheets.

"Under" might urge to touch the wall, which could increase renovation frequency

RoseGoesToYale

Wait... but what if you use a bidet?

BTW: I am pretty embarrassed that European architects dare to create bathrooms with toilet bowls placed near a wall to their (seated users') right. With the ambivalence of an ambidextrous person I think walls belong on the left side of the bowl so a paper dispenser can get hung there in convenient reach for semi assimilated North Africans.

Or would it be OK to pass the fresh paper from right to left hand?

Where would you hang dispensers, if the bowl was surrounded by 2 similar distant walls in arms reach?

It's heartening to see that so far no one favours the strategy of leaving a single square on a nearly empty roll, as a devious plot to offload their rightful duty onto the next unsuspecting bathroom visitor.

Over. Under seems wrong. 

BTW neither is cat resilient. My cat just takes the whole roll off and carries it around the flat. 

Over. If under anyone with painted or extended nails may damage them if the paper is resting flush against the wall 

The results so far cohere with those of other studies on this issue, which suggest that a significant majority of the population prefers "over" to "under". Some people have suggested that "over" makes it easier to grab paper, which is likely part of the explanation for this preference. My theory is that the "over" orientation – whereby the paper cascades over the top of the roll – more closely resembles a waterfall, and therefore appeals to human aesthetic preferences which are connected to the observance of natural phenomena.

On 4/19/2017 at 8:19 PM, Pramana said:

It's heartening to see that so far no one favours the strategy of leaving a single square on a nearly empty roll, as a devious plot to offload their rightful duty onto the next unsuspecting bathroom visitor.

Well, that doesn't work very well if you live alone or are the sole user of your bathroom. :lol:

And the cats aren't going to change the roll.

binary suns

under resists rolling (under certain circumstances) - for example, in my bathroom's setup going under resists wind from the window rolling it, and also in general under helps with tearing it off one-handed. 

The problems some people have...

I do not use the toilet so do not use toilet paper.

On 4/25/2017 at 0:15 PM, deltaX said:

Over.  Because it's the correct way to put the toilet paper.

A skillful use of the logical tautology formula.

Grumpy Alien

Only Satan rolls under.

On ‎20‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 5:19 AM, Pramana said:

Today I received an @all mail at work ranting about 1 or 2 sheets left on the roll in the Ladies'.

Now I am wondering: If there are 3 or less sheets remaining when you are done, what shall happen to them?

To me the toilet is a place where usually everybody is equal and an early change of rolls to show hospitality towards the next user seems wasteful in my eyes.

1 hour ago, Busrider said:

Today I received an @all mail at work ranting about 1 or 2 sheets left on the roll in the Ladies'.

Now I am wondering: If there are 3 or less sheets remaining when you are done, what shall happen to them?

To me the toilet is a place where usually everybody is equal and an early change of rolls to show hospitality towards the next user seems wasteful in my eyes.

Tricky. I think the question is whether the person would have used those extra sheets if there had been more paper left on the roll? Or, knowing that the roll was getting low, did the person scrimp on paper in order to avoid having to change it?

aeimquy159

I'm too lazy to clean my house so I have people do it for me and they came today. I replaced a roll of toilet paper last night (under-hand FTW). When I got home today they had turned it over to over-hand. I've decided to remount all my toilet paper dispensers vertically. Then we can argue about right or left dispensing. 

• 1 month later...

Under.

That way when you bump into it, it doesn't cascade all over the floor.

• 4 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

I was that different one who prefers under, lol XD

especially after reading that Wikipedia article :lol:

drjohnhwatson

I didn't used to care about how it went, but now I vehemently demand it to be over.  A petty hill to stand upon, but there we are.

Also, to the people who voted they leave it to other people to do--seriously?  It's so irksome when people leave the canister empty and it's right there.  It makes me want to hide the paper out of spite, haha.

drjohnhwatson
On 4/28/2017 at 9:00 PM, Busrider said:

Usually when we get low, we set the roll within reach, like on top of the area that holds it, that holds the new, fresh roll, or on the counter.  That way you use the rest of it and you don't have to deal with someone being a dick and leaving you to change it.

Thanks @drjohnhwatson. My personal view might be blurred. In a company where people are supposed to handle tons of paper per shift I smell princess allures when others complain about rolls not being readied for them.

Hermit Advocate

Over

Image result for toilet paper instructions

Archived