What real men cry like, what real woman laugh like

Evren

http://www.maudfernhout.com/what-real-men-cry-like

http://www.maudfernhout.com/what-real-women-laugh-like

It's a series of photographs that are supposed to show that it's okay for men to cry and it's okay for woman to laugh without caring why either or them look like. I just thought it was cool.

RoseGoesToYale

Fabulous photos! I always hated when in movies the men would shed that one little stoic tear... most people don't cry like that. Heck, women don't do the whole "dainty little sniffles" either.

I never knew there was any sort of social stigma about females laughing.  That's unfortunate.

Fabulous photos! I always hated when in movies the men would shed that one little stoic tear... most people don't cry like that.

No, but most guys that are trying to resist crying to keep their image up might still let one through the cracks.

31 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

I never knew there was any sort of social stigma about females laughing.  That's unfortunate.

There's a stigma against females laughing loudly or rudely or basically anything other than daintily. 

It's not as strong as the stigma against men crying but it does exist.

That was interesting!  I've always disliked how it's "taboo" (at least in western culture) for men to cry...honestly, I think crying is a healthy way to relieve stress and people shouldn't feel like it's "wrong."

23 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

I have never heard of this, either.  What is the basis for this claim?

I think it's mostly enforced by older women. As I said earlier it's not as serious or widespread as the stigma against men crying. 

When girls laugh loudy or snort, they get told that isn't very ladylike. Or it makes you look ugly. I know personally, I spent several years (on and off again) trying to change my laugh to make it more acceptable, before I decided that was stupid and just laughed normally.

SorryNotSorry

If that's what a real man looks like when crying, then what does a fake man look like when crying? (Answer: Glenn Beck.)

Re women and laughter... I can understand not wanting to date a gloomy sad sack, but I never understood why women who want to date never fail to require that a man must make them laugh. I get the impression that some of these women have a habit of laughing spontaneously when there's nothing to laugh at... which sounds a little bizarre to me.

Women belching out loud, now that's an entirely different matter.

chair jockey

You mean what YOUNG men cry like, and what YOUNG women laugh like.

I hate the stupid age bias in our society.

Those are just kids on the pictures.

As far as I've seen irl and not in movies men tend to cry "silently" with tears coming down, few movements and not much sound while women are more "vocal" and with more gestures. At least where I grew up and live now.

ChillaKilla
15 hours ago, Philip027 said:

Yeah, anything other than a coquettish little giggle is seen as ugly and obnoxious.

16 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Fabulous photos! I always hated when in movies the men would shed that one little stoic tear... most people don't cry like that. Heck, women don't do the whole "dainty little sniffles" either.

My whole face empties when I cry, it's a mess. I don't like the stigma that a guy can't cry, I have feelings too. I just cry anyways, it takes strength to be vulnerable.

I have never seen a man cry. Unless it was in a movie or tv show. I've never seen a man crying in the light of day. And I don't know why most of the guys I know try to hide it. Is it just a doubled standard thing. And what's with the laughing thing? If something is really funny my laugh sounds like a witch. A deep hardy witch laugh and people will stare at me. Snorting for either gender is cute. So whats wrong with snorting in a laugh as a woman. 

17 minutes ago, HEAD-N-THE-CLOUDS said:

I have never seen a man cry. Unless it was in a movie or tv show. I've never seen a man crying in the light of day. And I don't know why most of the guys I know try to hide it. Is it just a doubled standard thing. And what's with the laughing thing? If something is really funny my laugh sounds like a witch. A deep hardy witch laugh and people will stare at me. Snorting for either gender is cute. So whats wrong with snorting in a laugh as a woman. 

Men often get told that crying is for wimps or they need to man up. That crying makes them a sissy or gay. So many men feel like they can't cry, this photo series is trying to go against that stigma.

Women as child are also often told that laughing loudly or snorting is unladylike or ugly.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with either men crying of woman laughing, but people are stupid like that.

6 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

This must be something women secretly impose on other women, because I have never heard of this at all, and neither has any of the men I've asked about it, and neither have I seen anything about this in movies, TV, etc.

I think it must be one of those things that's only between older women and girls. I also think it's probably happening less as time goes on.

3 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

It's even weirder because most guys I know would prefer a woman who laughs rather than some repressed Victorian duchess.

That makes it even more ridiculos.

Lord Jade Cross

Having been to several funerals within the last year, I have seen dozen men cry. Though it is still largely imposed that they should not. 

I hadnt heard about the women laughing one though. 

Archived