UK general election June 8th

Skycaptain

The UK government have called an election for June 8th. This thread is for opinions discussion etc 

Good. I can't stand May and I've always said this should have happened after Cameron stepped down. So much for her saying we need a period of stability back in September though, remember her saying she won't call a snap election on the Andrew Marr show shortly after she got the job. 

Perhaps she no longer wants to be in charge of the trainwreck this country is becoming.

34 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

Is there a party  that wants to reverse Brexit?

LibDems maybe?

andreas1033

Even though i cannot stand the uk gov.

At least there election cycle is like only 2 months. Not like americas, which last about 20 months or so.

She probably called it like this, as she thinks your opposition, are not upto taking out her party. Thats what usually happens in uk, with elections.

When a party gets into power in uk, it usually stays in for a good few elections. Unlike america, where it swings more often, from left to right.

I do not care about uk elections, but you would assume, she called it early like this, as she considers, that she has a good chance.

From the outside, it looks like both parties, have pretty weak leaders at the mo, in uk.

Elftober Country

I don't think the general election will change anything. The conservatives will stay in power. 

The Lib Dems are still suffering from the fall-out of the coalition and Labour are in-fighting...

just an owl

I can't fucking stand this country.

Labour are a such a mess, they don't stand a chance. Easy win for tories. They'll probably get more seats than last time, same with UKIP.

Elftober Country

@Gay Owl My only hope for the general election, is that UKIP don't make any gains, they are insufferable <_<

The last time I voted the UKIP representative was stood outside the polling station looking smug. I was left thinking "where the hell did I move to?"

26 minutes ago, Gay Owl said:

I can't fucking stand this country.

Labour are a such a mess, they don't stand a chance. Easy win for tories. They'll probably get more seats than last time, same with UKIP.

in the polling recently according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

tories are between 38 to 46% in april polling and labour are between 23 - 25%, lib dems 7 - 12% and ukip 9-11%

When 52 % out of 72 % of your people vote to leave the EU, while most of the capital, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Gibraltar wants to stay; you say that the will of the people is clear; then you press the no return button for leaving the EU; then you leave the sinking ship: that is when you know that you are being jerk.

Who've we got? 

Conservatives, as divided themselves as they've divided the country 

Labour, still unpopular due to the trillion pound debt they ran up, and Corbout's dishonesty during Brexit, saying Labour want to remain and doing nothing for the campaign 

UKIP, fragmented but at least consistent 

Libdems, anti-Brexit but probably too small to make a difference 

SNP, remain, but a Scotland only party 

Plaid Cymru, Greens etc, insignificant, basically wasted votes 

Parties likely to win, or be part of a coalition I'd trust to do the best for Britain. None of the above 

8 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Who've we got? 

At least, not Trump!

My brother relocated to London almost 30 years ago (but with stints in the Netherlands and South Africa for several years in the late 90s & early 2000s). His wife, my sister-in-law, is active in the LibDems -- a member of the national board, if that's the correct term, and being urged by some to stand for parliament. So I'm rooting for the LibDems, though without much hope.

Didn't Nicola Sturgeon talk about some move after Easter in case Theresa May wouldn't accept her conditions for a Scotland referendum? Seems that this time Theresa May was the one surprising Nicola Sturgeon.

Another, rather cynical, thought is that Theresa May might have been inspired by the recent Turkish referendum together with the recent opinion polls.

Well, I hope that every single MP goes back to their pre-referendum opinion or steps down. The hypocritical parliamentary voting in favour of the majority decision of their respective constituents in the referendum needs to stop.

Final thought: sod the first-past-the-post system.

This suits Nichola Sturgeon in Scotland, as the SNP are still riding high on post-Brexit animosity. I think this had more to do with UKIP, who were mainly Tory voters being a fraction of their previous significance. TM will hope these people will vote Conservative. 

Ultimately the election will be won and lost in England. Wales and Scotland have insufficient parliamentary constituencies to play a major role 

chair jockey

Not in the UK but June 8 is my birthday, so thank you for commemorating it. :D

The Conservatives will win, Labour will still be scrambling, Lib Dems and Greens will still be dead. SNP will still be on top in Scotland, but it'll either push them into majority again or make them lose one or two seats - it's hard to tell right now. UKIP, god knows, but I can't see them making any gains unless they really grind over the next 50 or so days.

Love her or hate her, Theresa May isn't an idiot. She knows the rest of the parties are a mess right now and that she could easily win with a greater majority than 2015. And then she'll take that win as proof that she can do whatever she wants in regards to brexit.

Anthracite_Impreza

Typical tories, do things for their own benefit that screw the rest of us over. It's a bloody Tory personal interest that got us in this mess in the first place.

I'm almost tempted to vote for the greens.

13 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I'm almost tempted to vote for the greens.

It's tempting to vote elsewhere but wouldn't it just be a wasted vote? Though I suppose every non-tory, non-snp vote right now would be a wasted vote considering the situation...

Elftober Country

I have no idea who to vote for!

I've never voted conservative. Labour are a mess. That leaves the Lib Dems out of the top 3, but I think I recall hearing that their leader held some homophobic views?

Anthracite_Impreza
6 minutes ago, Danny* said:

It's tempting to vote elsewhere but wouldn't it just be a wasted vote? Though I suppose every non-tory, non-snp vote right now would be a wasted vote considering the situation...

No such thing as a wasted vote; if no one tries we never get anywhere. My mam's a green councillor, never thought she'd get anywhere but got in on her first try.

Well, the Lib Dems did have a significant number of seats, so I can't see why they shouldn't gain them again. Of course I can see why voters hold a grudge because of the coalition government, but now the situation has changed. As things are right now, Lib Dems are the only small chance of a pro-European representation.

This is the first election I can vote in, not looking forward to it at all. The only options are either pointless to vote for due to low popularity or will probably make things worse, or both. That said I'd feel irresponsible if I didn't vote. Whats the point in having a "voice" in how my country is run if it can't say anything I actually want it to?

1 minute ago, October Country said:

I've never voted conservative. Labour are a mess. That leaves the Lib Dems out of the top 3, but I think I recall hearing that their leader held some homophobic views?

If you mean Tim Farron, I believe he abstained from the gay marriage vote, and in the debate supported the possibility of giving registrars the right of refusal. He abstained on the votes for allowing adoption by gay couples and IVF treatment for lesbians. In general, he's very religious and I'm not sure about his current stances on these issues but it's unlikely to be a clear answer.

Elftober Country
8 minutes ago, Danny* said:

If you mean Tim Farron, I believe he abstained from the gay marriage vote, and in the debate supported the possibility of giving registrars the right of refusal. He abstained on the votes for allowing adoption by gay couples and IVF treatment for lesbians. In general, he's very religious and I'm not sure about his current stances on these issues but it's unlikely to be a clear answer.

Thanks for the info! I think it was this article that I read ages ago that stuck in my mind...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33580567

It would be interesting to know where he really stands on the issue. From the stuff I've just googled, his opinions don't really seem aligned to my definition of the word 'liberal' :blink: But who knows!

I think I'll try to do more reading on the party and all the other parties now it's 'crunch time' to decide who to vote for 

1 minute ago, October Country said:

It would be interesting to know where he really stands on the issue. From the stuff I've just googled, his opinions don't really seem aligned to my definition of the word 'liberal' :blink: But who knows!

He was labelled an ''illiberal democrat'' for a reason.

<_<Yay<_<

Another reason for Political "Experts" to run wild in my Facebook timeline again, saying how much the others are idiots, and use the same meme as the opposition to make their point. Also more reason for rubbish to go through my letterbox, as their is council elections here in May.

9 hours ago, Thea2 said:

Is there a party  that wants to reverse Brexit?

I thought that submitting Article 50 was the point of no return (I could be wrong though).

I can't be alone in being sick of votes, right? From my perspective in Scotland we've had the referendum, the general election, the scottish election, the brexit referendum, and now we have the council elections and this snap general election within the next two months.

This is too much even for me, and I live for political drama.

9 minutes ago, Scott1989 said:

I thought that submitting Article 50 was the point of no return (I could be wrong though).

No, that is just the story that Theresa May is telling. The guy who wrote article 50 says it's reversible. But nobody knows 100%.

7 minutes ago, Danny* said:

I can't be alone in being sick of votes, right? From my perspective in Scotland we've had the referendum, the general election, the scottish election, the brexit referendum, and now we have the council elections and this snap general election within the next two months.

This is too much even for me, and I live for political drama.

While those in northern Ireland had assembly elections in march 2017  when they had assembly the year previously too.

4 minutes ago, timewarp said:

No, that is just the story that Theresa May is telling. The guy who wrote article 50 says it's reversible. But nobody knows 100%.

This sums up some legal views on it

http://uk.businessinsider.com/is-article-50-revocable-or-irrevocable-2017-3

Archived