Share your wellness tips

Muledeer

8 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

I've been a cyclist since the age of 23 and I'm 62 now.  For winter and bad weather days I have one of my bicycles set up as a "resistance trainer".  The model I have is CycleOps 2 which attaches to the rear wheel.  I get a hell of a work out with this thing.  Here's a link to what it looks like

I used to have a resistance trainer thingie, but I didn't like how noisy it was. :(

5 hours ago, daveb said:

I used to have a resistance trainer thingie, but I didn't like how noisy it was. :(

The guy I know at the bike shop highly recommend the CycleOps Fluid2 Trainer because it's quiet.  Plus there's a special trainer tire I had mounted on the rear wheel so mine is pretty quiet.

StreetlightDawn
On 3/16/2018 at 3:21 AM, chandrakirti said:

Muscle Activation therapy sounds very interesting @StreetlightDawn, well worth a google, as it's badly needed in this corner right now.

Oh I'm sorry to hear it's needed but I very much recommend it! I've found that pretty much all of my body pains can be traced to a muscle that is overworked or too weak for it to do its proper function. I see someone who specializes in MAT but often I can apply the treatment myself at home whenever I want. Honestly, all you need is a tennis ball. Let me know if you want any more info, like I said, I can blah blah blah about it all day. :)

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

In my case I have a couple of broken back bones, pressing on nerves, so I get everything from weird sensation to intermittent paralyses, but freeing knotted muscle is a great help. When we get pain or altered sensation, it's too easy to compensate by hunching, lopsiding, etc and then the muscle gets knotted, so it's all useful.

It's great having a daughter! Yesterday she texted me that she can always tell when my back's getting bad. I asked her how she knows when I sometimes don't. Her answer was 'Well you begin to walk like the little guy from Person of Interest'!  

'Oh would some power the giftie give us , to see yourselves as others see us' as Robert Burns would have said .

Mine is if there is a journey that is short take the bike or walk. 

With biking especially in the morning it wakes you up so you get to the place in a good frame of mind. Also it gives you a chance of exercise without changing your schedule too much.

StupidDream

Make time for exercise but shop around until you find something you genuinely love doing and doesn't feel like a chore. If running fills you with dread every time you go you probably won't make it part of your routine...

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@Tintinfan, totally agree, flying down the cycle path in the morning, there's so much to see, a black swan on Friday, sparrowhawks, a mole, rabbits...a great way to start the working day. Since I bit the bullet and started cycling every day, I get home 40 minutes earlier than if I'd taken the bus.Plus, I've lost 5 lbs that I put on over the winter, without adjusting any food intake.

9 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

@Tintinfan, totally agree, flying down the cycle path in the morning, there's so much to see, a black swan on Friday, sparrowhawks, a mole, rabbits...a great way to start the working day. Since I bit the bullet and started cycling every day, I get home 40 minutes earlier than if I'd taken the bus.Plus, I've lost 5 lbs that I put on over the winter, without adjusting any food intake.

When cycling I have seen a woodpecker, kingfisher ,herons.

(Does help living near Richmond park)

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Beautiful place, Richmond Park....those stampeding deer can be a bit spectacular too. How is the Star and Garter Home? The guys there get a great view and they deserve it too. A far cry from your highly amusing profile location (I LOVE IT!!!). i'm sure the pigeons there are much more angry since the removal of the bird feeding stall....:lol::lol:

• 1 month later...

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I exercise every morning with at least some sit ups depending on how my body is feeling if I am feeling really spunky I do push ups, I don't eat sweets cause I don't like them, and I try to drink a fruit smoothie every night or every other night. Not to mention every morning I take 4 different vitamin supplements including a probiotic. I have to be strict with my health since I have a chronic disease but other than that my body is holding up really well thank the Lord. 

Exercising regularly

No colas, sodas or artificial drinks

Hydrating your body well

Staying away from energy vampires

Self acceptance and improvement

Doing things one loves

I do my physical therapy every day. My last spinal surgery was 12 years ago and I don't want any more. I try to walk 5 miles a day but often only manage 3. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and drink lots of water. I enjoy a lot of silence.

Archived