Share your wellness tips

Muledeer

This is a thread for sharing things that have kept you healthy.  In the last 5-10 years, I have realized so much about maintaining a healthier body and mind I could write a book on it, but I don't write books.  Here are a few lessons I have learned about keeping healthy: 

Addiction sucks and I value my sobriety.  Smoking was unhealthy.   Drinking and drugs are hard on the brain.

Regular yoga practice keeps you flexible and feeling young.

Regular physical workouts keep you fit.

Fish oil is good for the brain.

A low sugar / low carb diet keeps my body weight manageable.  Refined carbs are hard on the liver.

A high sodium diet has created minor health / sleep consequences and too much salt is hard on the kidneys.  Processed foods are loaded with salt

What are your secrets to good health and well-being?

chair jockey

I'm not healthy and don't have a healthy lifestyle, but eating one apple and one banana each day has made a positive difference in my life.

Hot tea (no sweetener besides local honey) of any kind.

Music cures headaches.

Caffeine cures headaches.

Meditation.

Comrade F&F

Keep a proper fluids intake. Don't dehydrate yourself.

Get a proper 8 hour's sleep - preferably be in bed before midnight so your body's circadian rhythm is in sync with the light levels.

Never beat yourself up for indulging in something you, or someone else, considers "bad" or "unhealthy" if it's an every-now-and-then thing. It's all about moderation. But also don't beat yourself up if you don't care for anything others consider "vices" and are just happier without. 

Kombucha, yogurt, and sauerkraut are good for the gut.

Venting in appropriate places to appropriate people/pets/journals is healthy and often necessary.

Laugh as often as you can.

I am not really a fitness person, but I do a bit of swimming and love going walking in the local countryside.  I suppose it keeps me ticking over physically, and walking in particular is really good for mental wellbeing (I think).

Eat plenty of fruit.  Chocolate in moderation.

Well, haven't exactly been healthy the last five years...gall bladder removal and hip replacement. Gave up alcohol because I become extremely intolerant - it caused so much pain and sickness, simply wasn't worth it.

I have a regular exercise regime, still on the low fat diet I began when I had my gall bladder trouble. I try not to hold grudges (takes too much effort on my part) and although I'm not religious

god-grant-me-the-serenity-to-accept-the-

Focusing more on the good things you already have than constantly on the things that you want as it helps you feel so much more contented.

Giving up on the idea of being happy all the time as it's natural to go through ups and downs. The less I focus on how to be happy/ whether I'm happy or not at any particular moment, the happier I become naturally.

Finding a form of exercise that you actually enjoy (walking in my case) as you'll actually keep it up, getting enough sleep and staying hydrated.

3 hours ago, Blackthorn said:

love going walking in the local countryside.  I suppose it keeps me ticking over physically, and walking in particular is really good for mental wellbeing (I think).

100% agree. Get off the sofa and go for a walk. Physical exercise is a great producer of endorphin. And those are most needed when you feel a bit down. So my personal mantra includes pushing myself out of the house when I least feel like it.

@Blackthorn - where's your favourite walk?

Walking and also yoga are my two choices for physical exercise. But whatever you like, do it!

Also, I read ingredient lists on prepared food. If I can't pronounce it, I don't buy it. But I try to keep processed foods to a minimum, anyway.

And for mental well-being, I enjoy volunteering.

@Midland Tyke  I like walking near Holmfirth (Last of the Summer Wine Country).  The local woods are also really nice at this time of year with all the bluebells.

@Blackthorn I don't know that part of the county particularly well. I love the Dales in particular. I did the Wainwright Coast to Coast walk a couple of years back and loved it.

• 2 weeks later...
SeriousCyclist

Sauna, 45 minutes to an hour a day, 5 days a week. It causes your body and brain to release a multitude of beneficial compounds, burns fat, gets rid of toxins, and you feel great for the rest of the day.

I'm totally on board with what people are saying about going for a walk, especially if it's somewhere beautiful and peaceful. Also:- 

• Don't eat a whole packet of Maryland cookies in one sitting.
  • Late nights and long lie-ins can really f*ck with your body clock.
  • Dancing to very loud folk-punk music promotes inner peace.

I agree about the benefits of walking -- if I could walk everywhere I needed to go, I would! I also find Pilates to be good exercise both physically and mentally. And soothing music is a helpful stress reducer most any time.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Having been on a serious health kick this year (I let myself go very badly before that, getting 2 stones overweight), I fast once a week, just drinking, and I like to do aerobics and weights twice a week.

But...having had a break from my healthy lifestyle (not exactly Maryland Cookies were involved, but peanut ones), I'm going back as of tomorrow, with the addition of meditation, which has been sporadic recently as well.

I think anything that makes you feel good about yourself and improves the body function is worth doing. 

Don't deprive yourself of things you enjoy (whether it's cookies, chocolate, other types of food, various activities, etc.), unless it's something that is harmful even in small doses (for example, if you are allergic or it's toxic or too dangerous). It's better to keep a balance and practice moderation. (or to take it to extremes, "Moderation in Everything. :lol: )

Find things that make you happy or joyful or grateful, often.

And like the saying goes, even if it might seem trite, "don't sweat the small stuff" (I feel like this goes in line with the quote Tanwen posted).

Have fun.

Laugh.

Play.

Create.

:D 

Very close to 60 and stay well maintained on an intermittent fasting diet, lots of sports, gardening and maintaing a positive attitude most days. 

• 2 months later...
  • Green drinks (Suja Uber Greens and Evolution Fresh Essential Greens -- both no added sugar or fruit juice, low carb low calorie)
  • Exercise (failing on that lately though!)
  • Vitamin supplements (I take a slew -- too many to mention here)
  • Prayer/Reading my bible. I also love to listen to calming music such as Gregorian Chants or John Michael Talbot
  • Intermittent fasting. I switch between nothing in the morning and then eating just in the afternoon when I get home, to having a protein drink in the morning, nothing all day and then eating when I get home. I think it has healed a lot of things in my body. I feel like I can handle my cake eating much better ;) 
  • Probiotics - I prefer PB8 or Yakult probiotic drink 

SilverFlower
On April 17, 2017 at 6:15 AM, Twigwilter said:

Finding a form of exercise that you actually enjoy (walking in my case) as you'll actually keep it up.

This^^^ is important.  Getting a gym membership that you never use doesn't help anyone (other than the gym owner).  For me it is walking and ocean swimming.  Find what is sustainable and works for you.

I am dealing with some health issues (cancer ten years ago and epilepsy that is finally under good control) so I am super vigilant about diet and such.  I eat a strictly paleo ketogenic diet.  No gluten, refined sugar, caffeine, alcohol, soy, non-natural fats, or dairy.  "Moderation in all things" doesn't work for me.  But OTOH, I don't feel deprived at all.  My typical dinner is a steak and veggies or a slab of salmon on a salad.  Fruit is my candy.

I've found that I need to have some fresh air every day. Others have already mentioned that, but I would like to stress that it is not only the exercise (I get lots of that elsewhere), but really being outside - fresh air, sun (or rain), seeing beautiful things like flowers, trees, birds... On some days it is only a "walk around the block" (not literally as I live in a very rural place), on others I walk an hour or two, depending on mood, available time and weather. Its benefits are not only physical, but also emotional, somewhow it is lifting my spirits.

• 5 months later...

I'm 60 now and although I've been prone to tendinitis the last 20 years I like to think my warranty has not quite expired yet. As far as I'm concerned I live in a very unhealthy country, both spiritually and physically. It is probably the most market driven culture on earth and people are often unable to distinguish between what they need and what they want. Worse still, more than a few people have no sense of value. They go chasing after status symbols when the most precious thing any human can have is friendship.  I live in a very sad, lonely country. I find it rather disgusting that I live in a place where one can literally eat themselves to death. Excess calories in the diet sets up insulin resistance, meaning the pancreas has to produce more of it to regulate blood sugar levels. This leads to massive amounts of the hormone being released whenever something is eaten which crashes blood sugar, makes one hungry and its time for another snack. This vicious cycle leads to obesity and finally diabetes.  Dietary fiber is also important. There are more microbes in your gut than cells in your body.  A microscopic ecosystem keeps itself in balance with the proper diet. Processed foods are low in fiber and this decreases the diversity of gut microbes which digest fiber. Our resistance to disease is involved because a diverse intestinal fauna exposes the immune system to a wide range of foreign organisms. It remains healthy and we remain healthy. Smoking is something people ought to know better about. The awful thing is that the tobacco industry is sustained by minors who stay addicted to nicotine the rest of their adult lives.  Most of the smokers I've known admit they started before they were 15.  The most diabolical thing of all is that nicotine itself does not cause lung cancer. The tar in the cigarette smoke is highly carcinogenic and smokers come to associate its foul taste with the pleasure they receive from the nicotine.  Therefore if one must smoke, electronic cigarettes seem a better idea.  Regarding myself I've never smoked, drink in moderation and eat only one meal a day, usually high in fiber to prevent constipation.  Low calorie lifestyles not only prevent obesity but studies suggest they prolong life. Admittedly, I'm no doctor so what I profess is more what I believe than what I know but one thing I believe is that it has kept me healthy. As far as my mental health is concerned, perhaps the comedian Allen Sherman sums it up best:

Headaches, headaches;

Aspirin commercials give me headaches;

Today I found the best cure yet;

I ate my TV set.

• 2 weeks later...

My physical activity has consisted of high intensity interval training workouts at home about two times per week.  Things like push ups, jumping jacks, crunches, squats and various strong yoga poses for about 45 minutes.  I also try to go to a yoga class at least once per week.  I would prefer outdoor activities, but that is more challenging in the winter time.   

I have taken up the challenge of  "dry January" where I have totally abstained from alcohol this month.  I was expecting more noticeable results.  I normally have a couple of drinks or beers every day after work and maybe a couple more than that on the weekend.  I thought I would have better sleep, greater clarity, more energy, and lose a few pounds.  The only thing I have noticed with certainty is that I don't have to get up to pee in the middle of the night, so maybe a little better sleep but I am waking up earlier too.   I'm sure I have saved some money by not buying alcohol, but that's not a health benefit.  Going forward, I will probably drink less alcohol less often so it has been a good exercise with a positive result.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Into my bike right now. When this snow clears, I'll be doing 8 miles a day to and from work. I'm looking forward to that.

My biggest ones are:

Get out there and walk!  This brings with it more than just the light exercise, it also allows me time for myself...to wander the twisted pathways of my mind as my feet pound the pavement.  It also allows me a chance to connect with the Natural, and lay down lines of intent.  I can't save the world, but I can do my level best to add a bit of myself to my little corner of it.

Eat well.  I've been a keto'er for almost 2 years now.  Not only has this allowed me to drop a ton of my excess weight, it's completely ended my heartburn issues.

Positivity.   We're all more than JUST a collection of cells doing what cells do - the mind imprints very heavily on the body.  If you dwell on negativity, you invite negativity to grow within yourself.  One of my favorite proverbs comes from a Native American tribe - each of us has 2 wolves inside ourselves, a positive wolf, and a negative wolf.  The one that thrives is the one you feed.

Hitting the gym. Outdoor stuff.

@Muledeer. I noticed your profile you mentioned the Uinta mountains.  I love it there. As a kid, we lived in Rock Springs. Fast forward about 20 years, me and my dad would go out on vacation every year (when he was still able). Uintas and Wind River Range. One of our favorite places is up on the Big Sandy near South Pass. Talk about getting away from it all!

StreetlightDawn

My huge one is Muscle Activation Therapy.  It saved me from a chronic sports injury and now it's the first thing I turn to whenever my body is hurting.  It's my gospel that I have to try really hard not to preach at everyone.  But it's resolved so many issues and I'm stronger now than I ever was in my twenties.

I can't speak to diet for improved well-being because I am a garbage disposal.  Just eat garbage in moderation I guess.

For mental well-being, I try and speak to someone once a day.  Even just a "hello, I'd like a medium latte please."  I like to hermit like the next person, but even a small amount of IRL social engagement keeps me from spiraling into apathy and depression.

When I'm overwhelmed, I try and stare at animals out doing their thing in nature.  I don't know why, but watching a bird peck for food or a squirrel jump from tree to tree helps shift my perception from the big, scary world to a smaller microcosm of it.  And suddenly my place in the world doesn't feel so daunting.

And be kind, even if you don't feel like it.  I'm generally a big proponent of "do no harm, but take no shit" but I've always felt better with myself if I don't give back the shit that someone is trying to give to me.

I've been a cyclist since the age of 23 and I'm 62 now.  For winter and bad weather days I have one of my bicycles set up as a "resistance trainer".  The model I have is CycleOps 2 which attaches to the rear wheel.  I get a hell of a work out with this thing.  Here's a link to what it looks like

Archived