when "science" is fanatical faith

chair jockey

SexNotHaver
1 hour ago, Feys&Florets said:

Defining gravity is a little elusive. But in a nutshell, gravity is "the stuff" that makes matter attracted to each other.We know it's there because we can calculate it and measure it, but we can't actually 'grasp' it. There's a whole slew of theories explaining the phenomenon, and it gets more complicated the more you dig into its explanation. You start getting into fields of science that are still relatively young, like Einstein theories.

I was hoping the user I quoted would answer.  You have ruined my life.

Comrade F&F
17 hours ago, Necron said:

I was hoping the user I quoted would answer.  You have ruined my life.

Well, sooooooorry!

:D

SexNotHaver
45 minutes ago, Feys&Florets said:

Well, sooooooorry!

:D

Anyway, you were wrong.  We do know what gravity is.  It is a 2013 British-American science fiction adventure film directed, produced, co-written and co-edited by Alfonso Cuarón.

The irony is that many clergy made important contributions to science. The Big Bang was conceived of by a Catholic priest. The first dinosaur was discovered and named by an Anglican minister. Even Cotton Mather, the Puritan minister, wrote papers on gravity. He corresponded with Isaac Newton.  

ChillaKilla
On April 15, 2017 at 4:59 PM, AVEN #1 fan said:

Actually I study geology

I thought you studied biology?

edit- nvm, saw a follow up post where you clarified

AVEN #1 fan
Just now, ChillaKilla said:

I thought you studied biology?

It's part of the classes.

Yeah,

but on the flipside there's also a lot of issues and garbage Today around and inside the S in STEM.

On 4/15/2017 at 9:30 PM, Zerο said:

It's called stupidity.

💀 🔥 🔥

On 4/16/2017 at 6:32 PM, Necron said:

Anyway, you were wrong.  We do know what gravity is.  It is a 2013 British-American science fiction adventure film directed, produced, co-written and co-edited by Alfonso Cuarón.

That would be Gravity (capitalized and often written in Italics in posts and papers), not gravity.  The term "gravity" refers to the force described by Newton and explained by Einstein.  It is that mass curves space-time, and objects move in straight lines in space-time, even if they look curved to us in 3D.

On 4/20/2017 at 6:39 AM, seneca said:

The irony is that many clergy made important contributions to science. The Big Bang was conceived of by a Catholic priest.  

The Catholic priest was Georges Lemaître.  He developed the Big Bang Theory as a scientific method of Creation.

This was scoffed by many scientists at the time.  Albert Einstein told him, "Your calculations are correct, but your physics is atrocious."  However, observations by Hubble showed that Lemaître was right.  Einstein later relented.  In 1935, Lemaître gave a talk about it at Princeton.  At the end, Einstein stood up, applauded, and said, "This is the most beautiful and satisfactory explanation of creation to which I have ever listened."

Now, this theory of Creation is nearly universally accepted by scientists, but often scoffed at by some religious people.

SexNotHaver
5 hours ago, Kelly said:

That would be Gravity (capitalized and often written in Italics in posts and papers), not gravity.  The term "gravity" refers to the force described by Newton and explained by Einstein.  It is that mass curves space-time, and objects move in straight lines in space-time, even if they look curved to us in 3D.

I must have gotten my wires crossed.  Apologies.

On 4/15/2017 at 10:11 PM, Necron said:

Could you explain?

I believe that they might be referring to how we have yet to determine how gravity transfers energy to and from mass.  Other than that, I have no idea to what they may be talking.

Archived