Languages!

ChillaKilla

ChillaKilla

Hello everyone! Who here speaks multiple languages? If so, which ones and how well? I want to meet more bilingual and/or polyglot members :D

I'm fluent in English (native), formerly fluent in Spanish but now simply conversational (way out of practice, but I can comprehend it very well), and I'm currently taking Mandarin classes, and am not too shabby with my basics ;) I'm also able to read Hangul

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Swedish and Irish here and I know some Finnish and Norwegian. 

swirl_of_blue

My native language is Finnish. I also speak fluent English and have studied Swedish and Spanish for six years (I have forgotten a lot of vocabulary but could re-learn either language pretty easily if the need should arise). In high school, almost ten years ago, I also took Japanese classes for half a year and had memorised a good number of hiragana. I can still understand some very basic (spoken) Japanese, but I can't really say I know the language. I can also read the cyrillic alphabet and have known some simple phrases in Russian, thought these too I have mostly forgotten. I can understand some written Italian, Portuguese, French and even Latin because of my Spanish studies, but I have never studied any of these languages.

Anthracite_Impreza

I speak English, guinea pig and dog.

My mother tongues are French and Dutch (bilingual parents) and I speak English fluently. I also speak German and Russian quite decently, except for the stupid grammar mistakes I tend to make. I know some basic Japanese and Mandarin courtesy of Chinese and Japanese friends and that's about it.

My native language is Polish, I speask fluently in English and a litlle bit of German that I learn almost nine years during my education but right now I don't remember many things that I Iearn because I lose contact with language. 

slothdetective

My native language is Finnish and I speak English decently. I have also studied Swedish, French and Spanish but my skills in any of those aren't very good, I can understand very basic conversation at most.

My Slavic mother tongue, English is my second, German third - fluent but still way worse than English. I know very little French too and hope I can learn it more in the future.

J. van Deijck

I'm fairly fluent in Polish and English. Should also be in German due to my actual heritage, but I haven't been using this language in ages (recently started recalling more and more, though). I've been able to communicate in Finnish and, to less extent, in Swedish.

I am also able to read Cyrillic. 

I'm fluent in English, and Spanish (mostly, not as good as a native speaker, but pretty good). Less fluent in German, Ukrainian and Russian. I can read Cyrillic but if it's Russian, I'm likely pronouncing it wrong in my head. 

I'm sad to say I only really know English. I'm terrible at learning languages. I took a year of Spanish in junior high, but only retain some very rudimentary knowledge of that. And I took 3 semesters of German in college and I'm not really much better at German than I am at Spanish. I envy people who have become proficient in more than one language! (even though for those who were lucky to have learned from a very young age it may not seem like that much of an achievement)

It often takes me by surprise that some people on forums are not native English speakers (including several of you here), as their written English at least doesn't give it away.

So many who are polylinguists.  I only speak English fluently but have some German and Japanese knowledge.  I need to practice them a lot to be even conversational, however, since I'm rusty with both.  I want to learn Swedish eventually along with German and Japanese.  I found that I'm terrible at learning romance languages, however, so any Spanish or French is out of my reach as I've tried and failed for years.  

I'm native in Dutch, but my English is actually better than my Dutch right now (that's what you get for not speaking your native language for a year). And I speak French, Spanish and some German. My major in university is Mandarin Chinese, which I've studied for almost four years now. That includes a year of actually living in China. I'm pretty fluent by now.

I've also learned a bit of Portuguese, Italian and Japanese by myself, but I've lost most of that, though I could still easily read Portuguese and Italian, I just can't actively produce it. And I'd get the gist of a Japanese text, because I know all of the kanji from Chinese.

I was starting to learn Dutch there for a while, but ended up slacking off after not having internet for about 4 months at the start of last year. While it'd be nice to pick it back up again, I'd have no use for it, as the part of my family that speaks it, speak English all the time anyway.

When I was in school, they started teaching us Italian, which was actualyl sorta fun, but then they dropped that completely for Japanese, which I wasn't really interested in, and neither I can really remember anything of.

4 minutes ago, Tal Shi'ar said:

I was starting to learn Dutch there for a while, but ended up slacking off after not having internet for about 4 months at the start of last year. While it'd be nice to pick it back up again, I'd have no use for it, as the part of my family that speaks it, speak English all the time anyway.

As a Dutch person I'd say don't bother learning Dutch. You wouldn't even need it if you lived in the Netherlands. If people here hear you have an accent they'll instantly switch to English for you (that's very annoying for people who are actually trying to learn Dutch haha.)

Nice to see so many multilinguals!

I speak English as my native tongue, I'm quite good at Spanish (very good comprehension, not as good at speaking spontaneously without warming up), and I can carry a conversation in German without sweating too much. :D

Keep up the language learning everybody!

English is my first language; I also speak French but not fluently, and I know basic German. 

I used to know a bit of Spanish since I took it for two years in high school and a semester in college, but it's been so long I really only remember numbers and a few random words/phrases.

swirl_of_blue

Despite my earlier list, I forgot some! For someone who knows Swedish, Norwegian is also somewhat comprehensible (and to a certain extent Danish, though it sounds weird). I can also read Futhark runes (though there are some that I keep mixing up) and have looked into hieroglyphics as well (the grammar rules are interesting!). If I had infinite time, I would probably study every language and writing system in the world.

Damn, sometimes I really think I should have chosen cultural anthropology instead of biology, as I was accepted into both programs at the University I study at...

English is my native language. I used to know Spanish well enough to write and speak in class (studied 7yrs) but have stopped practicing, so I'm superbly rusty. I know Italian fairly well (was an exchange student ~3yrs ago). And I would probably be able to survive with my German (studied 5yrs)... 

My native is English, but I'm quite knowledgeable in Japanese. I can read hiragana and katakana for the most part. Im not quite conversational yet. The language requires a lot of immersion, which I don't have access to. So I struggle to advance.

chair jockey

I'm highly fluent in English and Serbian, although my Serbian vocabulary is not entirely adult and I sound uncouth when speaking it.

I can communicate conversationally when writing and reading French, but I lack the vocabulary for most French literature, and my oral comprehension of French is terrible.

My hovercraft is full of eels when it comes to German but I keep trying to use isolated German words anyway and piss German speakers off by doing it. :D

In terms of writing systems I have passing familiarity with Cuneiform and Linear B. I can also recognize a tiny bit of Elamic but not much.

I'd love to learn Japanese, Mandarin and Latin/Greek but have health-related difficulties with sticking with long-term projects. Arabic would also be a good language and abugida to learn because it's the primary language of Islam and the Moslem population is growing rapidly.

English, Russian, Japanese, and Esperanto for spoken languages.

HTML, Python, C++, SQL, and a few other for programming.

English, German, Spanish, Italian, French.

German and Polish, learnt English later on.

I'm pretty fluent in all three of them. As I don't do it all too often, reading and writing in Polish takes more concentration than in the other two languages, but I guess it's neglectable.

I can also read Cyrillic letters, although I'm pretty slow in doing so and it takes some effort, so it's not really fluent reading at all. :P

I could add Latin to it but it's been a while.

Félinferno

Sadly I don't know any other languages. I'd really love to learn one, but unfortunately I really suck at doing so. I remember being forced into taking french classes in High School and I absolutely failed at it. Like, really failed.

I've got DuoLingo installed on my phone, but I'm just not sure if it's worth the effort, ya know. I mean, what's the point of trying if I couldn't even learn french?

21 hours ago, chair jockey said:

My hovercraft is full of eels when it comes to German but I keep trying to use isolated German words anyway and piss German speakers off by doing it. :D

You just made my day with that joke.  Can't even remember what it's from.

Archived