Not saying anything to acknowledge ("You're welcome", "No problem", etc) gratitude ("Thank you", etc).

Not Active

Acknowledging Gratitude Poll  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about people not acknowledging gratitude?

• It is very rude, I hate it.
    • It is rude.
    • Meh, it doesn't bother me.
    • It's understandable, as that person may be busy or in a rush./It's not necessary.
    • I like when people don't say anything in return.
    • I don't know.
    • Other (please elaborate below).
  2. 2. Do you say anything to acknowledge gratitude?

• Never.
    • Rarely.
    • Sometimes.
    • Most of the time.
    • Always.
    • Depends on the person.
    • Depends on the situation.
    • Other (please elaborate below)

This poll is closed to new votes

Never say anything myself - it's considered incredibly rude and vain to acknowledge gratitude where I'm from :/

(Just to be clear, just talking about acknowledging the gratitude here. Some people seemed to be talking about showing gratitude instead, which is something completely different which I absolutely do.)

Depends what you mean by 'acknowledging'. A smile is always welcome in return of a thank you. But some people might be in a complicated situation and not feel like smiling, and in this case I often notice a little softening in their expression, which is enough for me. I'm good at reading body language, I don't really mind what people say as long as I see that what I said/did was acknowledged or appreciated, however subtly. I'm not one for big celebratory thank you and you're welcome :)

I think its rude if youre exchanging things like food and money etc. with strangers.

But with family etc. Less formality is ok.

Phrases like "thank you" lose their meaning if you use them for every mundane thing ever. I don't speak to railway guards; I don't think I owe them anything, but I've actually been called out for "not saying thank you" and "being rude" in the past, which is flat out ridiculous.

I'm all for not thanking people at all, unless it's something significant. People do this because it's the norm; if it weren't the norm, they wouldn't do it.

On 2017-4-23 at 11:28 PM, XYZ96 said:

It doesn't upset me or anything when people forget to say thanks.. though it depends on the situation and person how much it doesn't matters, but meh, if you forget to say thanks or whatever that's fine. I usually say thanks, if I don't it's because I'm not paying attention or deep in thoughts or didn't manage to say it loud enough and it wasn't audible... 

So if I don't say thanks, I simply "forgot"? What is this? Has it ever dawned on you that people might not always want to say thanks?

39 minutes ago, mountainhead said:

So if I don't say thanks, I simply "forgot"? What is this? Has it ever dawned on you that people might not always want to say thanks?

yeah, I know people sometimes don't necessarily want to say thanks, that's alright to (in most cases), but you don't have to take my post so extremely literally, I wasn't thinking of every single possibility that someone might have not to say "thanks", just the ones I thought of off the top of my head, and those possibilities are simply the ones that are most common for me (because those are the ones I of course think of first), besides nowhere in the post does it say the only reason for someone not to say "thanks" is forgetfulness..., you sound upset that that I forgot to/didn't mention that some people don't want to say thanks, how is that upsetting? :lol: ... 

• 2 weeks later...

I always acknowledge it, but unless it was for something important or bothersome for myself, I don't expect it from others. Its not worth fretting about.

Lady Kestrel

I think of it like a gift. If I give gratitude, I do so because I want to. They don't owe me anything. I do like it when people acknowledge it so I know if they appreciated it or not, and to assure me that I'm not bothering them. So I think it is nice to acknowledge it. However, as someone who has sometimes tried to say "hello" back to a person only for it to end in an inaudible squeak, I don't mind if they don't reply.

• 11 months later...

@RNA

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived