3. 3. Romantics

• I like them
    • I don't care
    • They annoy me
    • They repulse me
    • Other
    • I'm not romantic

This poll is closed to new votes

They generally annoy me. The sappier they are, the more likely they are to annoy me; if they happen to be sufficiently dramatic (and metal), I can stomach them... but I'd still prefer a song with other subject matter.

Some are okay but the ones which are more heteronormative (which tbh is most of them) are rather annoying 

DayDreamer~

I'm big into music (my dad has over 10,000 songs alone, and I have over 2,000), and I like to sing a lot too, so romantic or love songs to me tend to be adorable for the most part... I have a pretty enthusiastic heart so that probably helps.

I guess I just like the feeling they give me, something happy, and even if they're not always 'realistic' I still enjoy the music behind them and singing the words out loud. That, and it keeps my hopes up, which after having a 5 year depression is now something I cannot live without.

binary suns

I put in "they annoy me" for both aro and grey 'cause I really dunno which category I am lol. and also uh - generally speaking, I usually dislike lyrics about love. but some songs I don't mind because they sound good, and some I adore because it's telling a story and is hearttouching or even heartbreaking. I'm a sucker for the feels. 

ChillaKilla

They're pretty annoying. Sometimes I can reconcile it if there's a possibility of me interpreting it as platonic/queerplatonic (or just sexual with no romantic connotations), or even in another language, but mostly I don't like them. 

Meh, I guess it depends on the song.  Usually when I hear a song that's meant to be romantic, my mind naturally tries to interpret it as a song about close friends instead unless it's too obviously sexual for that to be possible.

Love a good song that uplifts the emotion one can feel for another :)

Do NOT like ones that degrade the other person 😒

Luftschlosseule

Mostly annoying, but sometimes it gets involuntarily funny. I stumbled upon a group of people who rearrange popular songs new to fit another music era, they're called Postmodern Jukebox and you can find them on YouTube and Spotify. I had an earworm of I kissed a girl for about a week, so sex and romance, and it was... kind of fun, kind of annoying, kind of confusing, all thrown in together.

I'm most likely romantic, but cheesy love songs kinda bore me

Unless the beat or bass or tune is really good, there are always exceptions!

cooliocool

I usually don't pay attention to the lyrics of songs. I never did when I was growing up. It's probably because I was subconsciously trying to avoid listening to the lyrics because the lyrics of romantic songs sound meaningless and boring to me. It depends. Most of them annoy the hell out of me. If i'm in a bad mood, the good ones would annoy me too. 

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck

I'm not aromantic, but romance songs are usually incredibly cheesy and they mostly make me laugh because they can be silly and pretty naive. some songs (especially those overly played everywhere) definitely get on my nerves. but there are some songs that might be about romance and I love them, but these are very, very rare exceptions. 

Occasionally I don't mind listening to romantic songs but they are so repetitive that I get very easily aggravated by hearing them all the time without any change . I don't know if I would consider myself a romantic I don't even know if I would consider myself romantic but I tell you I'm somewhere in the gray area no matter what so yeah I guess you can put me there.

• 10 months later...

@SorcerousJigglypuff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived