• I like them
    • I don't care
    • They annoy me
    • They repulse me
    • Other
    • I'm not romantic

This poll is closed to new votes

Mychemicalqpr

I'm curious if the answers will be what one might assume. 

swirl_of_blue

I'm probably some sort of grayromantic and I absolutely loathe love songs. I see them as very unrealistic, and the sort of love that is often idolised in love songs (love at first sight that is still true and everlasting) is something that horrifies me even as a thought. If there's a love song I actually like, it will be something with such a good instrumentation and melody that I can ignore the lyrics. Just keep your sappiness away from me and I'll listen!

Galactic Turtle

Pretty much all popular music is about love, sex, partying, money, or a combination of the four so it's kind of unavoidable. :P

Though ever since I was a kid I have listened to more Japanese and Korean music than American. Works for me!

The only use they are to me is applying them to my ships. Otherwise, yech.

I'm definitely romantic, but the romantic attraction thing is rare for me.

I can enjoy them depending on the content. I can't stand the mindless preteen and young adulty superficial 'love' songs. Ones that have something more emotional and focus on romantic elements rather than anything sexual or sensual are what I look for, regardless if they're they're slow and sweet or energetic and upbeat 

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

It depends on the song,honestly.

If the love song talks about sex,I would not like it.

If the love song didn't talk about sex,I would have no problem with it.

andreas1033

Nothing to do with humans, as i have never known any human, to allocate the relationship between love songs and others.

When i listen to love songs, or hear them, i project other things that i might like into them, nothing to do with humans.

So i assume, thats what people do if you do not like other humans, and you hear such a song. Songs can be taken in any way the listener sees them.

Normally when people get older, they have songs, that brings back memories, of something they liked when hearing a song. Not for me. When i hear them, i project things other then humans in to the association with love songs for me.

We all have a heart, and we can like all sorts of things.

Aro and it depends on the song. I mean we do have love songs that are brilliant

And one of my favoruite gaming tracks is very much a love song

LuciferBarrio

I am more about the melody, the feeling of the music. Most of the time (80% of songs) I ignore the lyrics.

44 minutes ago, LuciferBarrio said:

I am more about the melody, the feeling of the music. Most of the time (80% of songs) I ignore the lyrics.

Exactly this. Whether I'll like a song or not depends on the melody. I don't pay much attention to lyrics, at least not initially. And as long as they are not something that I can't stand, I don't care if it's a love song or not.

It seriously depends on the song, how I'm feeling at the time, and whether the words are way too sappy sweet or way over the top for me to take. I do enjoy a good romantic song on occasion though, and I won't turn the radio off just because one comes on, especially if the narrative of the song catches my attention.

Grumpy Alien

I don't care

I like love songs with thoughtful/deep or sweet/fun lyrics.  I don't like the average "love" song, which tends to be sex-focused and full of rhyming cliches.

Grey-romantic and I don’t care for the most part. In my preferred genres of music love songs are a rarity anyway and when there are some they aren’t exactly conventional or what most people would understand as love songs. Heck, there are some songs that deal with the topic of love in a certain non-cliché way that I actually enjoy.
That said, if under whatever circumstances someone would make me listen to one of those soppily, cheesy kitsch kind of pop love songs they should be prepared for me to vomit onto their shoes xD

I don't mind them, especially if I like the melody and general "sound" of the song. :)

I'm really good at listening to music and having no idea what the words are. Most of my life I only listened to instrumental. As a result as long as the rest of the song is good and the lyrics aren't overtly about sex I don't care. 

I love this song, does that qualify me as liking romantic songs?

hahaha.

I don't like mainstream music in general, whether they talk about sex or love, it's just so generic everything, but i do like love songs. A lot of art is about love, and we all know about love in one way or the other, so...

Even though I hate romance, I don't really care if that is what a song is about. As long as they portray the feelings right, I can emphasize with it. 

My favorite love song: :D

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I'm not at all a fan of romance to be honest, so I avoid all romantic songs.

Not a great fan, particularly the slow slushy ones, but it's a meh response rather than annoyance 

Arvid of Rivendell

It depends on the song, honestly. Some are disgusting/annoying, some are meh, and some are good (mostly because you can read them in a platonic way). 

Generally, as long as dance song has a great beat, I won't dwell too much on the lyrics and just enjoy moving to the rhythm. But for other, non dance-club type music, I do place importance on lyrics. Also, since I do not happen to have any issues with romance, or touch, or sexual themes, such lyrics do not "turn me off" (pun intended) to a song...but I absolutely hate puerile and/or violent misogynist content. There's just too much of that crap in the world already, in my opinion.

One of my favorite "sad" songs is literally about a sexual encounter. It is "I Can't Make You Love Me", by Bonnie Rait. The lyrics of this encounter story, and the pathos in Rait's voice make for such a heartbreaking and nuanced song that it transcends the sexual aspect. 

i like music in general and a good number of the songs i would like would have a bit of romance in them

It heavily depends on the song, the tone, and the genre of music. Some of them are wonderful, others are borderline disgusting.

I don't really mind romantic songs as long it is not really obvious and it's not a slushy pop song

Archived