asexuality and the bible?

2 hours ago, Blondbear said:

"...if there is no sex ever in the marriage the marriage is not even considered valid..."

I am also Catholic, and what you've written is NOT true.  A couple can agree not to have sex and the marriage is still considered valid, however dissolvable.  It's called a Josephite marriage or spiritual marriage.  There is nothing that says that a married couple MUST engage in sex, only that they have the ability to do so, should they choose to do so.   

24 minutes ago, vega57 said:

I am also Catholic, and what you've written is NOT true.  A couple can agree not to have sex and the marriage is still considered valid, however dissolvable.  It's called a Josephite marriage or spiritual marriage.  There is nothing that says that a married couple MUST engage in sex, only that they have the ability to do so, should they choose to do so.   

What you said is technically true but the meaning is not, in other words: in catholicism a marriage that have the requirements to be declared null is a marriage that never was a sacrament and never was valid from a religious sacramental point so the declaration of nullify is just a burocratic law step. 

42 minutes ago, Blondbear said:

What you said is technically true but the meaning is not, in other words: in catholicism a marriage that have the requirements to be declared null is a marriage that never was a sacrament and never was valid from a religious sacramental point so the declaration of nullify is just a burocratic law step. 

This is also not true.  A marriage becomes a marriage at the point of consent to marry, and not at the point of "consummation".  When the couple exchanges their vows, they are married. 

A Josephite marriage is considered a valid sacramental marriage under canon law. 

MakeupJunkie4

Hi everyone,

Wow. I love this topic. Examining those kinds of Scriptures is what helped me accept my asexuality a few years ago. I didn't know it was a word/orientation at the time, but I attempted to talk to my (then) close friend about it. Long story short, he got very angry (he's one of those sexist/narrow-minded Christians), and we parted ways. Here's what I think about marriage for Aces:

Some of us want a long term companion. We still crave closeness and have a desire to share our lives with someone. However... We don't want sex. I think we can all agree that an Ace marriage would be an unconventional one, to say the least. Maybe we can coin a term for Ace marriages to distinguish them from hetero ones? Just a thought. Anywho! I think the verses warning couples not to deprive each other are written with heterosexuals in mind, as they are the majority of our society. When read through this lens, it makes perfect sense to tell them that. They married with sex in mind. Naturally, they should go at it with each other and do so often, so that neither one feels rejected and starts looking for someone else to bang. If applied to an asexual couple, this sounds ridiculous (IMO) because they're not together for sex in the first place. Certainly, people can change over time, in which case, it would be the couple's job to discuss things and come up with a compromise, just like anything else in their lives. Doesn't sound too difficult to me, although I tend to over simplify at times. 😉 Blessings!

okay-but-martin-freeman

My father (who basically went to literature bowls for the Bible as a kid on the regular) told me that asexuality is NOT a sin and NOT against the Bible. Here's what he told me:

God isn't against asexual marriage. He's against spouses denying any compromise when it comes to one partner wanting sex and one not wanting it (this goes for non asexuals as well!)

Which means, he's not against an asexual and sexual marrying as long as it's agreed upon and okay with both parties that there will be no sex. He's also not against two asexuals marrying one another!

In fact, I'll have to ask him the verse number and chapter, he told me JUST the other day that in the Bible it states that if you don't have to get married to fufil your sexual desires, don't. He means if you can bare not getting married and having sex don't do it, but don't have sex out of marriage either, the logic being the less time you spend having sex the more time you can spend praising the Lord, spreading his word, helping those in need/less fortunate, volunteering, etc etc.

According to him there's nothing in the Bible against asexuality or aromanticism, and I personally trust him given his awesome memory and devout Bible studying :) though if you have anymore questions, I could totes ask him!! I'm sure he would love to answer any questions you have about the Bible, whether it be about aro/ace issues or not!! ♡♡

• Like 1
MakeupJunkie4
On 4/9/2017 at 11:17 PM, Smixysmoo said:

My father (who basically went to literature bowls for the Bible as a kid on the regular) told me that asexuality is NOT a sin and NOT against the Bible. Here's what he told me:

God isn't against asexual marriage. He's against spouses denying any compromise when it comes to one partner wanting sex and one not wanting it (this goes for non asexuals as well!)

Which means, he's not against an asexual and sexual marrying as long as it's agreed upon and okay with both parties that there will be no sex. He's also not against two asexuals marrying one another!

In fact, I'll have to ask him the verse number and chapter, he told me JUST the other day that in the Bible it states that if you don't have to get married to fufil your sexual desires, don't. He means if you can bare not getting married and having sex don't do it, but don't have sex out of marriage either, the logic being the less time you spend having sex the more time you can spend praising the Lord, spreading his word, helping those in need/less fortunate, volunteering, etc etc.

According to him there's nothing in the Bible against asexuality or aromanticism, and I personally trust him given his awesome memory and devout Bible studying :) though if you have anymore questions, I could totes ask him!! I'm sure he would love to answer any questions you have about the Bible, whether it be about aro/ace issues or not!! ♡♡

Do you think Jesus was an ace? I'm not saying we can know for sure, but as a personal opinion? I'm thinking it's possible. I mentioned the possibility to an allo....I didn't say he was for sure (because I don't know of course), but I said it was possible. Bad. Idea. I'm so dumb sometimes. She immediately tossed out that verse about Jesus being tempted in all things as her proof that he was allo, and was tempted to have sex with women. Right, because obviously she was there....😜 And that one verse doesn't mean every little instance, IMO. Then we'd have to assume he was also tempted to rob a bank (there were none), or have a meltdown due to PMS (he was male), or even *gasp* be tempted to have gay sex (....*crickets*...). I think it's more likely that the verse uses "all" in a general sense, not literal. Other verses use "all" in that sense, like "all the Earth", when the verse clearly doesn't mean it literally. 

...but that's just me, and I'm not a butt hurt religious allo. 😜

Technically, I think that asexuality and Christianity are compatible, especially in modern days, in the past, one would have married and had oodles of children, but now we face a population crisis and humanity no longer has to grow. I've inferred that 'asexuality' or virginity/celibacy/abstaining is revered in Christianity.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...