• Announcements

• Kisa the Cat

World Watch Archiving Project

Hello everyone, Please read this thread before posting to World Watch Thank you.
    • Kisa the Cat

Avenues May/June   05/09/17

Hello AVENites! The newest edition of AVENues is now ready! Our theme this time was "ace connections".  May/June
OptimisticPessimist

Riverdale's Cole Sprouse on Asexuality, Betty and Managing Fan Expectations.

13 posts in this topic

Cole Sprouse discussing Asexuality and Jughead being Asexual/Aromantic in Riverdale.

4 people like this

I'm so conflicted!!!!! I used to read the comics and just binged watching the available episodes, and I love the development of this character. Is there a way for him to be with Betty and still show that he is asexual? Is the lack of aromantic representation going to hurt the community? (Well of course, but is there a different way to show it in a different character?)

I'm very excited to see where this show goes.

maybe they can date them, hes in love with her, but refuses to kiss her or hug her, but he obviously loves her. maybe an awkward moment can come where he high fives betty while saying he loves her. maybe they can break up over it for a while.

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, LadyLor said:

I'm so conflicted!!!!! I used to read the comics and just binged watching the available episodes, and I love the development of this character. Is there a way for him to be with Betty and still show that he is asexual? Is the lack of aromantic representation going to hurt the community? (Well of course, but is there a different way to show it in a different character?)

I'm very excited to see where this show goes.

Apart from  Jughead I can only think about Sherlock being aro and ace, representation lacks a lot.

1 person likes this

I am still amazed Riverdale exists. I mean I can grasp an Archie comic that has zombies, lesbians, and incest, because weird comics aren't an oddity. But a Twin Peaks tinted modern update of the quintessential teen humor character on a major broadcast network just blows my mind.

Honestly Jughead not being asexual doesn't bother me, this is an alternate take on the characters so I don't expect (or want) a direct translation of the source material. I mean Archie has had sex with Ms. Grundy... That is a factual sentence now... This sounds like a Goodman Beaver comic... 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, LadyLor said:

Is the lack of aromantic representation going to hurt the community? (Well of course, but is there a different way to show it in a different character?)

As an aro-ace, I confirm that we have virtually no or a very small shard of representation in media (at least mainstream, prime-time television-wise, as I am not that familiar with literature featuring aro-ace characters). I never expect much, to be fair, least of all from this show, but... it doesn't change my frustrations with the dearth of representation.

This is why I am often frustrated when people say they will represent asexuality on a screen or in a book. Yes, many asexuals also experience romantic attraction. No, not all of us do. Some of us are aromantic and feel incredibly marginalized as it is due to the proliferation of the "I'm asexual, but I still love people because I still have romantic attraction" remarks in the community. Now, those remarks are very true and valid for a majority of this community. However, some of us are not part of that group, even if we are a narrow minority. Tossing aro-ace representation out the window, particularly for a show as popular as this one, sends the message that we do not matter, or potentially, and worse, that we do not exist (Sprouse's stressing the differences between aromanticism and asexuality without any reference to the overlap leans that direction for me).

I should add, I'm used to being frustrated with representation and I don't really expect it anywhere, ever. My hopes were not crushed by the show so much as Sprouse's mistaken inference that there's no overlap between aromanticism and asexuality. There's clearly a lot more work to be done in the educational department and having that overlap on screen could've helped with aro-ace visibility, but also education about the split between romantic and sexual orientations.

2 minutes ago, BlueSaint said:

I am still amazed Riverdale exists. I mean I can grasp an Archie comic that has zombies, lesbians, and incest, because weird comics aren't an oddity. But a Twin Peaks tinted modern update of the quintessential teen humor character on a major broadcast network just blows my mind.

Same here, and I am not a particular fan of the comics. My sister and I watch the show for kicks and giggles because I don't like the writing of the show, as it feels a tad... forced.

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, BlueSaint said:

Honestly Jughead not being asexual doesn't bother me, this is an alternate take on the characters so I don't expect (or want) a direct translation of the source material. I mean Archie has had sex with Ms. Grundy... That is a factual sentence now... This sounds like a Goodman Beaver comic... 

Well, can't forget the sapphic queerbaiting.

In the latest episode (#8), Betty tells Jug that she wants to know everything about him. I personally don't think that she really needs to know EVERYTHING about him (especially stuff about his dad), but this could be a great opportunity for Jug to bring his asexuality up with her in conversation. I mean, it's not like Betty's going to try to have sex with him (that'd be completely out of character) because other than him telling her, that would be the only time where he'd have to bring it up. 

So he could still be ace? Maybe? I'm tired of aces in TV shows being robots and sociopaths. At least there's been more gay representation in media lately. Still a long ways to go though.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:03 PM, J.A.Z said:

maybe they can date them, hes in love with her, but refuses to kiss her or hug her, but he obviously loves her. maybe an awkward moment can come where he high fives betty while saying he loves her. maybe they can break up over it for a while.

That got thrown out the moment they got together since got together by Jughead interrupting her with a kiss.

I was a big fan of the Archie comics long before I'd ever even heard the term asexual, let alone aromantic. So yeah, Jughead dating peeves me a bit. Because he's almost never been shown being interested in a relationship of any kind. Hell, most of the time he's downright romance repulsed. And now his romantic relationship is getting the most attention?

I'm not as mad as I could be though. He and Betty are really very cute when they are around each other, although their romantic scenes still bother me the rest of the time their scenes are wonderful and I want to see more.

I can accept this because it is cannon and only one iteration of jughead is asexual and/or aromantic so far, but i cant help feeling disappointing, Cole's right we do need representation, and that has to start somewhere, i was hoping this could be it, but it looks like we are still waiting. 

This is a lame/lazy question, but I can't get the vid to load so I must ask....is this just Cole commenting on the comic, or is Cole an ace?

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:36 PM, Jenna444 said:

This is a lame/lazy question, but I can't get the vid to load so I must ask....is this just Cole commenting on the comic, or is Cole an ace?

I can't see the video either, work blocks all vids, so maybe someone else can answer more definitely but I believe it is just Cole commenting on wishing the show kept Jughead's asexuality in the show.

1 person likes this

On 12/04/2017 at 2:36 AM, Jenna444 said:

Does this work? 

https://youtu.be/pCoUq5E-QnY