What is 2017 to you?

Pizza Seawitch

2017 hasn't been as much of a trainwreck as 2016. So far.

So yay, I guess.

• 1 month later...

2017 is a year of change for me. I'm starting university and moving from my country town to the capital

It's going to include an Ace-friendly something I've never done before (carefully avoiding an obvious double entendre), namely going on a plane, and overseas on my own for the first time 

I'm looking forward to my holidays in August :) I'm going to see my family who live abroad and spend 2 weeks with them and my daughter. I'll be very busy seeing friends too, wandering around the city, I may go for a few day trips to the mountains. Beer, barbecues, drunken philosophy conversations... can't wait. 

Apart from that - it's been a steady year so far, no massive changes, one big heartbreak (sexual person who thought he could change who I am) but I recovered relatively quickly and I'm ready for summer and autumn, my 2 fav seasons :)    

• 2 weeks later...
cavalier080854

I'm looking forward to 2018, then 2019, then 2020. Yaay, retirement.:D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm with @cavalier080854! My workplace held a fair recently, and they invited a palm reader. She said, quite spookily that before the end of the year I'd be involved in research, writing or teaching! How she knew some of the things I pine for I'll never know...

SilverFlower

2017 is my year to figure out where I want to live.  I've been in Hawaii for three years now but I sometimes miss family and friends in San Diego where I grew up.

On 7/16/2017 at 8:25 PM, SilverFlower said:

San Diego where I grew up

me, too

(but I like where I live now) :)

Green Mandala

Joining this forum mid-year.

Here's what I've done so far:

In May, my first-born daughter and I went to Eastern Oregon and spent a few days hiking around the lava fields and over snow in an empty sno-park. We tried a beer flight and a distillery flight and then tried to take selfies while we were laughing out loud by a cozy fire.

In June, my second-born daughter and I went to Southern Oregon and spent a few days checking out the sites there. We went to the Oregon Vortex, the Oregon Caves, then across to Highway 101 just over the Calif border and drove up the Oregon coast. We picked up some fossils at Beverly Beach. We were actually on a ghost hunting trip. No ghosts but plenty of beautiful country.

In June, I went to a conference in Houston, TX, stayed at the Marriott Marquis, and swam in the Lazy River on the rooftop.

Here's what I still plan to do:

In August, I am going camping somewhere in Oregon with family and a family friend.

And maybe, I will go East in the fall to take in the autumn colors, visit my cousin, and hit Broadway. But this is not definite.

Then it'll be Christmas.

Ageless Goddess
3 hours ago, Green Mandala said:

Joining this forum mid-year.

Here's what I've done so far:

In May, my first-born daughter and I went to Eastern Oregon and spent a few days hiking around the lava fields and over snow in an empty sno-park. We tried a beer flight and a distillery flight and then tried to take selfies while we were laughing out loud by a cozy fire.

In June, my second-born daughter and I went to Southern Oregon and spent a few days checking out the sites there. We went to the Oregon Vortex, the Oregon Caves, then across to Highway 101 just over the Calif border and drove up the Oregon coast. We picked up some fossils at Beverly Beach. We were actually on a ghost hunting trip. No ghosts but plenty of beautiful country.

In June, I went to a conference in Houston, TX, stayed at the Marriott Marquis, and swam in the Lazy River on the rooftop.

Here's what I still plan to do:

In August, I am going camping somewhere in Oregon with family and a family friend.

And maybe, I will go East in the fall to take in the autumn colors, visit my cousin, and hit Broadway. But this is not definite.

Then it'll be Christmas.

You're awesome, Green Mandala,  keep on trucking down the line. Oregon Vortex sounds spiritual, how did you feel in the presence of the Vortex?  Just curious.......

Green Mandala
22 hours ago, Ageless Goddess said:

You're awesome, Green Mandala,  keep on trucking down the line. Oregon Vortex sounds spiritual, how did you feel in the presence of the Vortex?  Just curious.......

Well, the Vortex wasn't a spiritual experience. I felt dizzy and off balance. It isn't considered a sacred place or a "thin place" as some places are in the world. The Vortex, according to the stories, is a place that the local tribal peoples avoided and horses would not enter. It has some kind of magnetic field variance that makes it an anomaly.

Ageless Goddess

Do you know the name of the tribal people? This is of interest to me to research as the tribal peoples were intuiting danger. Your energetic body picked it up by your report of how you were feeling "dizzy & off balance" interesting. Everything is energy, the good, bad, & the ugly. 

CrazyCatLover

It's a year of career changes for me. I originally studied Linguistics and worked in ESL. This March, I applied for a CNA (nursing aid) class with job offer at a local nursing home. And I love it. I've now decided to apply to nursing school which means retaking English 101, Algebra, Chemistry I, and Anatomy and Physiology (I've only taken Physiology though) this fall semester. I must earn As in all of them to be admitted to nursing school. I think I can do that, but it's going to be some very hard work for the next three years. I'm looking forward to it though. I've been feeling a bit rudderless for a couple of years. I definitely have a good sense of direction in my life now. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyCatLover said:

I'm looking forward to it though. I've been feeling a bit rudderless for a couple of years. I definitely have a good sense of direction in my life now. 

That's always good. Congratulations and good luck!

"Waiting". It has been a year of waiting. I had to quit my job in December and worked temps this year because I need the month of August off. My niece is getting married in Italy in a couple of weeks (I can't believe it's in a couple of weeks!) and I am going to have a month's holiday so I couldn't get permanent full time this year. So I'm waiting for the wedding. (starting 10 days of a temp job this evening). In May I was waiting to hear the news of my uncle Dave in hospital. I am always waiting for my girlfriend's situation to change. She has a benign tumour on her liver. If they operate there's a 50% chance she could bleed to death so we're waiting for the tumour to get big enough so that they have to operate or she'll die. Then they'll take the 50% chance.

The next few weeks will involve waiting for planes and trains but it'll be a good, fun thing. Then when I get back I will apply for full time jobs and wait for that, too.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Good luck with the job situation, wedding and especially your girlfriend's health. 

Here, I'm working, but knowing that I'll probably spend the rest of my 8 years moving around workplaces till I retire. I don't think I'll settle for very long anywhere.

Green Mandala
9 hours ago, CrazyCatLover said:

I've now decided to apply to nursing school which means retaking English 101, Algebra, Chemistry I, and Anatomy and Physiology (I've only taken Physiology though) this fall semester.

Good for you! I admire people who are willing to make changes that feel right and positive for their future.

Green Mandala
19 hours ago, Ageless Goddess said:

Do you know the name of the tribal people?

There are a number of tribal peoples throughout Oregon. I believe the Rogue Nation predominates in Southern Oregon.

Ageless Goddess
2 hours ago, Green Mandala said:

There are a number of tribal peoples throughout Oregon. I believe the Rogue Nation predominates in Southern Oregon.

Thank you, GM. I find your experience of how you felt while being in the presence of the Vortex interesting & worth researching.

Ageless Goddess
11 hours ago, CrazyCatLover said:

It's a year of career changes for me. I originally studied Linguistics and worked in ESL. This March, I applied for a CNA (nursing aid) class with job offer at a local nursing home. And I love it. I've now decided to apply to nursing school which means retaking English 101, Algebra, Chemistry I, and Anatomy and Physiology (I've only taken Physiology though) this fall semester. I must earn As in all of them to be admitted to nursing school. I think I can do that, but it's going to be some very hard work for the next three years. I'm looking forward to it though. I've been feeling a bit rudderless for a couple of years. I definitely have a good sense of direction in my life now. 

This is great news, the members in AVEN shall cheer you on.........Once you begin the program, check in & let us know how well you're doing. I support higher education.

Yes, @CrazyCatLover, that sounds like a very good plan! And being an LNA is a tough job--you will be a better nurse for having done that. Good luck and study hard. We definitely will be cheering you on! 

I was optimistic at the start of the year that this was going to be a good one - but despite having some success I'm now faced with so many tough decisions mainly about jobs and relationships that I don't know where to start

Ageless Goddess
16 hours ago, Loobylou said:

I was optimistic at the start of the year that this was going to be a good one - but despite having some success I'm now faced with so many tough decisions mainly about jobs and relationships that I don't know where to start

Begin by taking in three deep breaths, success is complicated at times. Sit yourself down & list your priorities according to your needs. Which is the most important to you & this time, career or relationships.? If you're in a relationship at this time. enlist the help of that special someone to help you sort through & discuss any issues which might need attention. If you're not in a relationship, tackle the career ideas you are already thinking about then follow through with any offers which might be or have been presented to you at this time. Keep breathing & move forward.

Green Mandala

Keep breathing. That's what I usually tell myself. Actually, it is true for me at least that when I feel stressed, my breathing gets tight and shallow and unless I pay attention, I spend hours even days breathing that way. Definitely creates a brain fog and lack of clarity.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@Green Mandala, Is the Vortex an electromagnetic force? It sounds like the underground cellar in Edinburgh where everyone going in suddenly thinks there's someone behind them. Some even think they've been whispered to. It turns out the magnetic force disrupts the patterns in the left temporal lobe and creates a minor 'seizure'. Evidently, some conditions are being treated with powerful electromagnets now.

• 4 months later...

2017 is the year of the fire rooster and the year I was born, 1957. The Chinese say it will be the most important year in my life and also possibly the most challenging. I am also 60 this year but I don't really feel old, although my feet sometimes do. One of the more spectacular things that happened this year was the solar eclipse. I decided to go to Nashville to see it. I was dismayed to find interstate traffic backed up a hundred miles from the city, so I found a little country road instead. My journey ended in western Kentucky. I stopped at a fast food restaurant in the middle of nowhere and no more than 10 minutes later the sky got as dark as twilight. Venus was visible on the eastern skyline even though it was 1:30 pm. Then I gazed up into the sky and saw an incredible sight. What looked like a great, white eyeball stared down at me. I had brought my camera of course but the infernal thing locked up. Rats! Oh well, a lot of NASA missions end like this as well.  I have no photo but I'll remember what I saw for the rest of my life. Of course the year of the rooster is when I visit the state fair to attend the rooster crowing contest. Corny perhaps but so is the fair.  I've been doing this for the last 36 years at least, once every 12 years. The contest was just 5 times longer than the eclipse but I waited 60 years for the latter. There is another month left to my special year and if anything else spectacular happens, I hope it will be good. Oh yes, 2017 was the president's first year in office, turning the PBS News Hour into the Donald Trump Comedy Show.  What will he do next?

Stay tuned ...

Archived