How Trump Won, Defying all Odds (Documentary)

Yatogami

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I see that it's already interesting, 

I'll check it out at some point, when I'm not watching about other parts of the world. 

Just now, mountainhead said:

And when exactly did he "[defy] all odds"?

Watch the documentary, and you might find out. :)

One way to get more votes, speak about how you'll solve the fear of others and Trump did. Look where it ended him, he has logic.

One of the things I love how they did this documentary, was they gave you the perception of both sides. For example: "~The media saw an autocratic speech, but the supporters saw a candidate holding another candidate responsible for their own actions" (In reference to Trump saying he was going to put Clinton into Jail). This one was pretty unbiased imo. 

The media only showed lies depending which station many watched many only showed part of what people wanted , so there were many who feared him winning. While many cut out what they wanted to look like he was lying, there were others that showed the videos live showing what his intentions ware. I agree that it's unbiased.

andreas1033

He never went up against anything.

He has loads of money and brought his votes in the electoral college. He is no champion of the people, like they suggest, lol

Anyone whom is very rich, and media friendly could become president.

He had a 1 in 2 chance of winning, and had more money than the clintons, and was willing to pay more out, in terms of buying the electoral college votes.

So how is that defying the odds?

33 minutes ago, mountainhead said:

And when exactly did he "[defy] all odds"?

The odds of becoming president due to his sheer incompetence. He is the first president in American history not to have previously held public office or served in the military. Which means he's the first president to have no political or military experience and it shows. He has no idea how NATO works. No country is required to put 2% of their GDP to defense. That was a NATO goal not a requirement and there is no debt forming for the countries that miss 2%. He didn't know what the nuclear triad is. He said he would make Mexico pay for that useless, needless wall that I now get to pay for with my tax dollars even though republicans are supposedly all about cutting government spending. His authoritarian, isolationist tendencies are not at all productive in the world we live in. Do you know what other country has authoritarian, isolationist tendencies? DPRK!

Democracy is more fragile than people realize. I don't like to make Trump/Hitler comparisons since they don't compare but Hitler came to power in a democracy. The road from freedom to oppression is very much shorter than American's think.

Trump's in office because a bit under half of Americans that voted are scared of everything that's not white 1950s America. 

1 hour ago, andreas1033 said:

He never went up against anything.

He has loads of money and brought his votes in the electoral college. He is no champion of the people, like they suggest, lol

Anyone whom is very rich, and media friendly could become president.

He had a 1 in 2 chance of winning, and had more money than the Clintons, and was willing to pay more out, in terms of buying the electoral college votes.

So how is that defying the odds?

Money was not the deciding factor, since Clinton spent nearly double what Trump did. Trump, being one of the first people to run, that didn't have to rely on donations to even run. He ran out of his own pocket for the most part. So no, money wasn't the reason he won. Otherwise Clinton would have won easily. FYI, Clinton was chosen by literally the Elite, the Establishment, and the Media... and still lost. Because she is such a horrible person, and the average person can see that. So Trump had to fight against the Establishment, the Elite, and the Media to win. No one has ever done this, in a very long time. Your theory of "Buying electoral votes" goes out the window, because Clinton could have easily done the same thing. 

Trump won by saying what he knew what many wanted to hear, he feed the fears and pushed back when he was being pushed down. All of his contributions were of his own and no one else's. He gained more trust as the elections were drawing top an end, no one helped him do it but himself.

He told the people at his rallies and at the debates that he would fix everything.  People are desperate now, and they simply wanted to believe him.  I really can't blame them.  I'd like to have a daddy who would fix things for me also.  

Anthracite_Impreza

Trump didn't win the popular vote anyway.

Oh cool a documentary. I'll have to watch it in the next few days.

3 hours ago, Sally said:

He told the people at his rallies and at the debates that he would fix everything.  People are desperate now, and they simply wanted to believe him.  I really can't blame them.  I'd like to have a daddy who would fix things for me also.  

Agreed it is the smart politician move, whether or not you believe in whoever is saying it. Obama used it pretty successfully himself, and it was only a matter of time until a Republican nominee learned some of the more effective speaking tools.

Knight of Cydonia
22 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Trump didn't win the popular vote anyway.

That doesn't really mean anything because a popular vote wasn't taken - an electoral college vote was, thus it's the only fair way to interpret the results. Who knows who would have actually won the "popular vote". Both candidates would have campaigned differently and focused on different states. Ads would have been focused differently, the ground game would have looked much different, and what ended up being key states like Wisconsin and Michigan would have probably been way less focused on by Trump in favour of more populated areas. More republicans would have come out to vote in California, more democrats would have come out to vote in Texas. The list goes on.

Knight of Cydonia

That was a good documentary. I agree it was pretty unbiased. I'm tired of people saying things like the reason he won is because his supporters are all sexist/racist/homophobic/etc or that if you voted for him you are a bigot. For one thing that's such a harmful perpetuation of an "us vs. them" attitude that alienates people instead of encouraging discussion and understanding from both sides; for another, while I'm sure some of his supporters are those things, many aren't and the reason Trump won was so much bigger than that. People were disenfranchised and sick of the status quo. They were desperate, and saw Trump as something so radically different to the regular political landscape that they believed he was the best chance for some change. I don't blame them.

I do think the DNC was partially to blame for Trump's win for pushing so heavily on Clinton during the primaries. They ignored the warning signs and alienated Sanders supporters in the process.

... I'm still salty it wasn't Bernie. 

Archived