YES, Aces *do* experience queerphobia... (example)

Daermi

If you ever have anyone tell you that aces don't experience "real" queerphobia or don't need to be included in LGBTQ activism, just show them this jewel in the spoiler box below. It's a one-for-one of some of the most classic homophobic, patriarchical, pseudo-benevolent arguments you've ever heard.

(This was a conversation had in the comment section of a youtube video. I'm putting the spliced screenshot in a spoiler box so you can decide whether to read the full text, as it may be upsetting. Triggers include: paternalism (telling someone they have to do something for their own good or the good of society), a (from other comments he made, almost definitely cishet white) man speaking with the self-proclaimed voice of "society," arguing sexual/romantic orientation is a choice, equating people who don't have sex or relationships with children, telling someone they're being self-centered for advocacy, and unironically equating having coerced sex to eating vegetables, at which point I gave up and walked away.)

Despite how infuriating this whole exchange was, the thing that's really bugging me is that I realized I can't say why it's so upsetting. Neither this stranger nor the people I know in real life who I have these arguments with can actually force me into having sex or being in a relationship. So why does it make me feel fight-or-flight queasy, hair-standing-on-end sick? Obviously some part of my hind brain interprets it as me actually being in danger, but I can't put my finger on the reason. Has anyone else had that reaction? What's your explanation? Is there a word or theory for it?

Spoiler

Ugh, the screenshot isn't showing, and I don't see a way of deleting the post. Could a moderator trash-bin this, please, since it does work? Or tell me how to include a .png? :(

I think the word might be "heteronormativity."

Yes, I've seen a lot of unpleasant comments about asexuals on asexual Youtube videos, mostly about how asexual people "are just making up a term to feel special," but I ignore them because they're unwilling to listen and don't care or want to be educated about people who are different from them.

52 minutes ago, Daermi said:

Ugh, the screenshot isn't showing, and I don't see a way of deleting the post. Could a moderator trash-bin this, please, since it does work? Or tell me how to include a .png? :(

(if you want to display an image, you have to upload it to an image hosting site and then link it here... aven itself doesn't have the capacity ^_^)

hey, um...youtube comments... aren't proof of anything other than that youtube comments are garbage? maybe you are asking the wrong question here... "Do I have enough scars to be in cool scar club?" I don't think is a very healthy question.

you could upload it to imgur and give us a link!

Archived