I think I'm Asexual

malickathetato

malickathetato

Okay, this is all new for me, but am I asexual if I don't want to be in a sexual relationship while still wanting to be in a relationship? Like, I want the companionship of a relationship just not the sexual aspect of it. I'm 18 going on 19 and I've never been with anyone sexually nor do I want to. I've always been like this and the thought of being with someone sexually makes me uncomfortable. I don't know, I've been thinking about this subject for a while now.

Anthracite_Impreza

Yes, not wanting a sexual relationship is exactly what asexuality is. Your romantic orientation can be different to your sexual one (and usually is in aces).

It seems very likely, imo. Desiring a romantic relationship has no bearing whatsoever on whether one is asexual or not. Of course, it is entirely up to you to choose to identity as asexual, no one else should be allowed to make that decision for you. But there's no rush to figure all this out all at once, take all the time you need. In the meantime, be sure to read as much as you can here about other ace's experiences, that will probably help you decide more than anything else. Welcome to AVEN! :cake:

malickathetato

I think I've known for a while now about who I am. I just didn't know what it really was until about a couple of months ago. I never thought that I was asexual, I kind of thought everyone was like this until I got in high school then I realized, "No you are different." Like I said, the thought of being intimate with someone sexually didn't really sit right with me. I've been looking and reading up about asexuality and now that I have a better understanding of it, I know that I am asexual.

Yes, being asexual means just not wanting to have sex and not being attracted to people in a sexual way. But you can definitely want to be in a relationship, because that's romance (or it can be a platonic relationship, too).  Just go and take your time to explore and find something that will suit you :)