Would you like to know when you are going to die?

Ortac

Would you like to know when you are going to die?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to know the day, month and year that you are going to die?

• Yes, absolutely.
    • I think I probably would, but I am not absolutely certain.
    • I really don’t know.
    • I think probably not, but I am not absolutely certain.
    • No, absolutely not.

This poll is closed to new votes

NoLongerActive1234

Probably not but...well yeah it depends on what the circumstance of my death would be. So if it was possible for me to get to know then depending on what it was from there decide if I wanted to keep knowing or have the option to forget ever being told. I'd wish to be able to take care of everyone that I cherish and prepare for whatever I could do for them before I'd go.

This thread has reminded my why I am not afraid of death. I don't think death itself, is scary. People are afraid of the before and after, when you are no longer conscious, they desire to know what will happen. They are afraid of pain they might feel up to that point. They are afraid of facing their own selves, regret, and overall result of their existance. They will judge themselves a failure or success. They will question wether or not they lived a good life or not. All are equally tragic. 

The dead do not know they are dead, and the dead do not weep. It is those left behind that grieve.

NoLongerActive1234
1 hour ago, スバル said:

This thread has reminded my why I am not afraid of death. I don't think death itself, is scary. People are afraid of the before and after, when you are no longer conscious, they desire to know what will happen. They are afraid of pain they might feel up to that point. They are afraid of facing their own selves, regret, and overall result of their existance. They will judge themselves a failure or success. They will question wether or not they lived a good life or not. All are equally tragic. 

The dead do not know they are dead, and the dead do not weep. It is those left behind that grieve.

I think the fear could also be about all the things one will likely? miss out on and not be able to experience or do anymore. Life is so hard. Although not seeing the sun rise, that lovely coffee smell, laughter, smiles, people, loved ones, sound of waves, cats, cake....I find this scary and I don't want to die. I would want to use a magic wand to change things in life though. 

Guess I should put a TW just in case

Spoiler

Perhaps if I were allowed to kill myself some time before I was supposed to die, in case my death was going to be exceptionally horrible. Take that destiny, I'd rather die from a self-inflicted gun shot than your planned death by fire.

Though I don't really care about about planning finances or saying goodbyes to be honest. 

No, because there'd be nothing to look forward to the day after. 

Not really. But if I could know when then I would want to know if it's an early one. Like in my forties. 

RoseGoesToYale

No, because If I knew when I was going to die, I'd probably try to live it up and do all kinds of crazy things, and I'd probably wind up doing something so crazy it kills me (thus fulfilling the prophecy). Or I'd wind up being super careful and avoid doing anything crazy and then the day would come, and I wouldn't have done anything special in my life. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Nope.

On second thought, it would be nice to know if I were going to die before retirement age so I would know I don't have to save money for it.

It would be SO NICE to be able to plan everything out around that day! "Oh, I'm dying when I'm in my 30's? Psssssh, guess I don't need to save for retirement."

But there is always the fear that as the date inches closer, the anxiety and depression increase.....

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I wouldn't mind  knowing, I could get all my affairs in order, plan for an enormous bust up , work out if I have enough pension just to down tools and go on a perpetual world cruise till I shuffle off the mortal coil...:D

• 3 weeks later...
Elftober Country

Yes, I'd like to plan for that shit in advance ^_^

I can see the benefits of knowing when exactly I'm kicking the bucket. You can plan everything from finances to goodbyes. On the other hand, life suddenly becomes finite. Of course I know it's finite no matter what, but not having a known ending somehow makes life feel more infinite. I think I'd only want to know the moment of my death if it's at least 40 years ahead. And even then, I get the feeling I'll regret knowing. It doesn't say anything about how I'd die, either. Maybe I'll live to be 90 years old, but have Alzheimer's for the last 20 years. If you really want to plan everything out, that's something you also need to know.

I think that the answer is immaterial. Ultimately I cannot control how I die, only how I live. My idea is that if I am living correctly, knowing when or how I am going die shouldn't change how I live.

As long as its not a painful or suffocation-like death I am okay with dying at anytime...but still when you think about it, could be quite scary 

ChillaKilla

Y'all... If I knew then I could do all the stupid shit in the world that I want and it wouldn't kill me prematurely. Of course I'm gonna want to know!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know. It would make planning for the future easier, and I would have time to come to terms with it. 

• 5 weeks later...
darkstreamers252

Knowing your date of death would be great, all preparations would be made and there would not be as much pain or financial burden on loved ones.

Yes it won't mean i'll like it but yes, already told my doctor if there is ever a day i'm dying you tell me i don't care 

• 2 months later...

Never. I would be so wrecked with anxiety everyday of my life if I knew, and it would get worse with every passing day that I count down. Last year I had debilitating anxiety for a couple of months while I couldn't get the thought of my own mortality out of my head, so I definitely could not deal with knowing when. 

I would most likely want to know, just so I'd be able to plan for it, if I'm going to die young then I would stop saving money. I think in the couple weeks before I died I might stress out a lot about what would happen after I left, but I don't really consider death something to be feared. I almost look foward to finding out what actually happens, what it feels like, etc. even though I know nothing happens and I probably won't feel anything. 

The biggest dilemma for me would be if I should tell friends and family when I will die. 

cavalier080854

If I knew when I was going to die. Then I would kill myself before that date, just to defy death. 😉

This is an interesting one. I personally wouldn't, as I get pretty bad anxiety over death and I think knowing when I'd die would make me think about it more, rather than reassure me. I've asked a friend this same question though, and his response was "yes, because if it was absolutely certain that was when/how I died, I would be effectively immortal up to that point. I could do anything and know it wouldn't be able to kill me." So I guess there are upsides and downsides.

10 minutes ago, cavalier080854 said:

If I knew when I was going to die. Then I would kill myself before that date, just to defy death. 😉

If it was when you were definetly going to die rather than when you're supposed to die, would it even be possible to defy? Or maybe you actually could kill yourself beforehand but it would create a paradox? o.o 

• 1 month later...

I definitely would like to know, so that I could produce the maximum possible amount of work during that time.

I personally wish I could be an immortal, octillion year old, multiverse hopping freak, that leaves my current universe every time a universal heat death occurs. That's impossible though, so I guess I'm content being an insignificant, mortal human.

Archived