Aromantic weddings - I want to marry myself

Ms.Agape2

I would love to have a big party to celebrate my aromanticism. I'd say I was marrying myself or coming out party etc would you do it? I'm Christian so I might have passages from the bible quoting how the single life is the best life. I could look to other spirituality especially like wicca and combine elements of croning ceremonies. I would have a spinster hood ceremony i guess. I'd have a big beach party probably when I start menopauseto coincide with croning age. I'd buy my 'wedding ' dress and have a priest and speeches and party. What do you think? Anyone have any more ideas of what I could do?

Sometimes I would like to throw myself a big party to celebrate how satisfied I am with being single. And getting gifts would also be nice. :D

Lets just have a big ol party and celebrate for the purpose of celebrating.

Drinks, weed, tacos, and cake.

I wish I could still smoke. Asthma is a bitch.

3 minutes ago, russtophecles said:

Drinks, weed, tacos, and cake.

[sends in her RSVP right away]

Scottthespy

Any excuse to have a part, I guess? But honestly, some people would be confused, dismissive, or even offended by the notion of an 'official' party for being single. A priest would probably not take it seriously, and mixing pagan pieces into it could be construed as insulting. Throw a fun party, play off the 'marriage' aspect as a joke, get a friend to 'pretend' marry you to yourself, but don't get any official people involved. 

2 minutes ago, Snow Cone said:

[sends in her RSVP right away]

I know how to party

giphy.gif

WinterWanderer

I've thought about doing this!! Not for the party, but for the gifts. XD When my sister got married, she was gifted hundreds of dollars' worth of stuff. We single people are missing out!

I joked about this to my mom, and she looked at me like I was from another planet haha 

NerotheReaper

Hm maybe not a 'wedding', they can be really expensive you can have a party though with cake and pick up some alcohol from the store. Invite friends and family over and just celebrate that way. 

Anthracite_Impreza
1 hour ago, Fioryn said:

I've thought about doing this!! Not for the party, but for the gifts. XD When my sister got married, she was gifted hundreds of dollars' worth of stuff. We single people are missing out!

I joked about this to my mom, and she looked at me like I was from another planet haha 

This is an excellent point, why should we single people not get our 'special day' (and money, all the money)?

Mychemicalqpr

I couldn't help but think of Merida. 

I+am+Merida+and+I'll+be+shooting+for+my+

Now that I think about it, Merida could be aro. I'm gonna headcanon that now. 

RoseGoesToYale

So much this! I want to get one of those outrageous 80s wedding dresses for like 50 dollars at Goodwill, buy a three-tiered cake with a rock star figurine on top, have everyone dress up fancy, and spend the afternoon pigging out on hor d'oeuvres and cake and going on a scavenger hunt at the venue.

18 hours ago, twilightstarr said:

I couldn't help but think of Merida. 

I+am+Merida+and+I'll+be+shooting+for+my+

Now that I think about it, Merida could be aro. I'm gonna headcanon that now. 

I was re-watching that recently, and I thought so too! We're headcannon twins! :P

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the wedding, but I like the idea of a single honeymoon.

nanogretchen4

I think if you are going to take some kind of formal vows of celibacy, by all means have a party to celebrate. Most wedding sized parties are celebrating a specific milestone. If you had a party to celebrate your ongoing spinsterhood would it be a one time event, an annual thing, or would you celebrate anniversaries of singlehood at ten year intervals? Maybe once a year on Valentine's Day you could throw a party for single people. Or maybe a day or two after Valentine's Day to take advantage of discounted chocolate and uncrowded restaurants.

I have pretend married my favorite characters so many times. personal marriage ceremony only myself invited.

DemiGeekGoddess

I honestly find this to be brilliant. I wouldn't mind marrying myself. Ever since I discovered and committed to my asexuality, I can think much more clear. I have accepted myself. I find that a person can truly fall in love with oneself. I find it normal and I think many more people should do it. It should be legalized and everything. I'd do it. Kudos to you. 

I was pregnant when I got married and it was nervewracking because I didn't want to be pregnant OR get married.  I wore a borrowed dress and had a cheap party.

I would love to have a non-marriage wedding with a beautiful white dress and a summer party outside with a trio playing Mozart and lots of presents, and NO husband.  My partner could come, though, if he promised not to kiss me.

ChillaKilla
On March 25, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Sabata said:

Aromatic? Stone heart .. petrified .. a life without..

Why would you say that <_< 

Archived