Who do you think is aesthetically attractive?

cooliocool

Which people look aesthetically attractive to you?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you usually find aesthetically attractive?

• The people who I'm romantically attracted to
    • The people who I'm sexually attracted to
    • People who have traits that I value the most
    • I don't find people aesthetically attractive
    • The people who society would rate as attractive. Basically what society taught me.
    • People who share similar features with me
    • You didn't list my option 😡
    • Other, I will give you a thorough explanation

This poll is closed to new votes

Basically it's been said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I definitely agree with that statement by now. I swear to God that my beauty standards and rating system matches society's beauty standards and rating system. I think part of the reason is because I'm not sexually or romantically attracted to anyone and society has taught me what is attractive and what's not attractive. I noticed that people tend to give higher ratings to people who they are romantically and sexually attracted to. I think another reason is because I'm a model, and society's beauty standards benefits me and puts me at the very top. I also noticed that I tend give 10s to people who share a lot of similar features with me such as irina shayk, sara sampaio, adrianna lima, river viiperi, lucky blue smith, and the list can go on and on. 

Omg I can't believe some people don't know what this even means. Google it. 

tumblr_nn60izqL8w1s2gjqpo1_500.png

I checked "people who have traits that I value most". I figure that's the most all-encompassing, since it covers all the bases. Attraction's kind of a nebulous thing that's hard to predict or pin down, at least for me. 

I'd say a mixture of society and males with the same ethnicity as me (for some reason I tend to find guys with dark hair more aesthetically attractive) 

49 minutes ago, Fox6 said:

A subset of fictional characters.

This... LOL so much this! 

Also John in his sweater! 

(Yes I will find any reason to talk about him in his sweater) 

ac06cd43ecbf6d844d3fed35d2d7571a.jpg

Being this damn cute should be a crime 

Also Benidict Cumberbatch 

2014-11-16-uktvsherlockbenedictcumberbat

Oh and Ed when he was still an adorable Dork from Gotham! (BTW Ed is the type I would have dated in high school. The Socially awkward nerd with a touch of crazy) 

tumblr_nyyq0iygex1r3g4oqo1_500.gif

Oh and who could forget penguin 

23624357c21b17b1970566ddbdfd2a82.jpg

Grumpy Alien

I have no idea why I find people aesthetically attractive. They just are? I like their face or something.

Static-Kitten

I would say that Attraction can vary and some people you may find striking or they turn your head and you try and work out why you like them. Often it comes down to

•     •    they remind you a of a friend of relative and as such safety or comfort
        •    they have certain features you like like colour of hair or nice eyes  
        •    the way they dress or the way they talk helps inferences they way i see that person.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I tend to like people who have the same interests as myself and personality. 

For me people become more attractive when they are talking/doing something that they are passionate about. I've never really seen value in society's preference in looks (not to say that I don't find some celebrities attractive). It's just when people are being open that they are the most attractive to me.

The Terrible Travis

Me.

Nea Rose Symphony

I prefer females aesthetically to males. I cannot tell when a male is "cute". It's just a guy. One time I made an incredibly aesthetically appealing female on Sims; she had those flat-ish eyebrows, soft look, hair in a casual ponytail and a backwards facing cap. Man I was in love with her face

Anthracite_Impreza

You didn't list my option :(

I second the fictional characters thing. I mean come on....

Albert.Wesker.full.149212.jpg

latest?cb=20130219041029

But regardless of it being a fictional character or a real existing human being, I value certain traits the most and men/fictional men who have those traits are the most attractive to me. I also tend to like when someone shares some similar features with me. 

Aside from that, I don’t think that society can dictate someone whom and what they find attractive and whom not.
It’s true that on average people are more attracted to those who fulfil the beauty standards but that has many reasons and isn’t society programming people to think of only certain people as attractive. There are people who would be regarded as attractive universally in various different societies around the world.
I’m sure many people disagree with me here though; given that “blame society for everything that you don’t like” is a quite popular sport these days. Nevermind!

Dark General

In general, I'd say that I'm mostly aesthetically attracted to people that look similar to me. The people who look similar to me are those that have darker features like dark hair, dark eyes, etc. However, I can be aesthetically attracted to people that don't have features like mine too. 

People who look nice and make me want to just stareeee...usually guys with lighter colored, longish hair, with more androgynous faces.

Also fictional characters who win me over with their personalities become aesthetically attractive to me once I realize I love them

Anime characters. There's a select few real life humans that I find aesthetically attractive. I like the "emo" look on men, and when it comes to women I like a slim, yet slightly curvy figure and long hair. They still don't compare to anime characters IMO though. ^_^

14 hours ago, Antihero. said:

I second the fictional characters thing. I mean come on....

Reveal hidden contents

Albert.Wesker.full.149212.jpg

latest?cb=20130219041029

But regardless of it being a fictional character or a real existing human being, I value certain traits the most and men/fictional men who have those traits are the most attractive to me. I also tend to like when someone shares some similar features with me. 

Aside from that, I don’t think that society can dictate someone whom and what they find attractive and whom not.
It’s true that on average people are more attracted to those who fulfil the beauty standards but that has many reasons and isn’t society programming people to think of only certain people as attractive. There are people who would be regarded as attractive universally in various different societies around the world.
I’m sure many people disagree with me here though; given that “blame society for everything that you don’t like” is a quite popular sport these days. Nevermind!

Looks are correlated with health which is why these beauty standards are relevant in society. Of course, there are going to be people who don't agree with them because they don't have them lol. As I'm not attracted to anyone, I don't see how I would be able to tell who's attractive and who's not attractive. You're most likely right, maybe it wasn't society teaching me. Maybe it's just my ability to pick up on certain traits that indicate better health and it's my ego that makes me favor people who share similar features with me. I value facial symmetry the most. Facial symmetry shows that the person has a good immune system. Like I said, my standards match society. However, I noticed that not everyone thinks that conventionally/universally attractive people are attractive. For example, Emma Watson is considered universally attractive but some people said that she's overrated. There are cartoon characters who are considered conventionally attractive. Most people and even I think that those cartoon characters look better than 90% of people but some people would disagree. Sometimes I wonder if they say these things out of jealousy or they say it just to sound contrary. I also noticed that people, especially girls, would find someone less aesthetically attractive if that person has a bad personality. I don't really think with my feelings because I know that being and acting are two different things... I don't really know what makes people find something aesthetically attractive. I think aesthetic attraction is a complex topic. 

Mychemicalqpr

Aesthetic and romantic attraction may or may not go hand and hand for me. I generally find androgynous or feminine features or presentations more attractive than masculine. Other than that, I'm not very good at being aware of physical details I like. Blame inferior sensing? I'm aware that I have a bit below the average facial recognition ability. 

I don't find generically good looking people as appealing as some others do, maybe because I don't remember them very well. I literally can't spot any difference between the supposedly different three generically attractive faces at the bottom of this page.

I find a lot of fictional things aesthetically attractive. I love anime hair, wings, anthropomorphic characters, aliens, merpeople, unusual eye colors, probably some other things I'm forgetting... 

Thorough enough? 

9 hours ago, Lemonasculine said:

Looks are correlated with health which is why these beauty standards are relevant in society. Of course, there are going to be people who don't agree with them because they don't have them lol. As I'm not attracted to anyone, I don't see how I would be able to tell who's attractive and who's not attractive. You're most likely right, maybe it wasn't society teaching me. Maybe it's just my ability to pick up on certain traits that indicate better health and it's my ego that makes me favor people who share similar features with me. I value facial symmetry the most. Facial symmetry shows that the person has a good immune system. Like I said, my standards match society. However, I noticed that not everyone thinks that conventionally/universally attractive people are attractive. For example, Emma Watson is considered universally attractive but some people said that she's overrated. There are cartoon characters who are considered conventionally attractive. Most people and even I think that those cartoon characters look better than 90% of people but some people would disagree. Sometimes I wonder if they say these things out of jealousy or they say it just to sound contrary. I also noticed that people, especially girls, would find someone less aesthetically attractive if that person has a bad personality. I don't really think with my feelings because I know that being and acting are two different things... I don't really know what makes people find something aesthetically attractive. I think aesthetic attraction is a complex topic. 

Matching the universal beauty standards doesn’t mean that every individual automatically thinks of that person as attractive of course. They might not fit an individual’s taste but another person who matches the beauty standards might actually be attractive to that individual because they have the traits they like. Matching the beauty standards doesn’t mean that the people who do don’t have different characteristics; they definitely don’t look all the same.
However, on average people from various societies will regard them as handsome.

I absolutely agree with aesthetic attraction being a complex topic though. 

• 3 weeks later...

To me, aesthetically attractive people are people that I want to draw. It's hard to describe, but I see them and I just want to draw the lines of their face. It's probably just an artist thing. And, like many other people, I think that woman's appearances are much more aesthetically attractive. The lines are so much smoother and softer.

I'd say I'm mostly attracted to personalities. I find a lot of people "cute" and "adorable" based on their personalities. 

There are features I find aesthetically pleasing. I like light eyes. Especially when paired with dark hair. Blue, grey and hazel eyes are gorgeous. I love brightly colored hair. Pinks, purples, greens, blues, reds, I love it all!!! I like it when males have long hair, but I don't really have a preference for hair length. I love piercings and tattoos! I find them so freaking attractive! I like sculpted legs. Nice cut calves and strong thighs. I always work out my legs more than anything else cause I want my legs to look good. Dimples are just the cutest things ever. I find crooked teeth endearing. Tan lines are cool. (Back when we had a swimming pool, I got the swimsuit with the funkiest back just so I would have weird tan lines.) Oh and I love colored skin. I've got light skin, and I'm so jealous of people who have dark skin. It's so rich and luscious! *sighs dreamily* I want dark skin...

Ummm? Yeah. I thinks that the gist. I'm not romantically or sexually attracted to any of this, they're just nice to look at. I like these things, but I really get gooey and soft over personalities.   

So like...people as in humans?

While I can recognize some people as stereotypically pretty, what I consider aesthetic attraction is the sense of "wow you're so pretty I just want to stare at you".  Typically, when I'm aesthetically attracted to people it has less to do with their appearance and more to do with their mannerisms/facial expressions/ posture/etc.  Also, people who are more androgynous looking tend to be prettier.

J. van Deijck

my simple answer is those I love / like, if I am fond of you in any way, you will be beautiful in my eyes regardless of how you actually look like. 

except this, I don't think there are certain (facial) features that make a person aesthetically attractive to me. but their outfits are, so I tend to find rivetheads, cybergoths and other goths aesthetically attractive. which means, people who are similar to me.

I answered "people who have traits that I value most" and these traits can be physical but also character traits. I usually don't notice physical appearance until something about the person strikes me, and it can be their kindness, their voice, their intelligence (okay, mostly that xD) or a lot of other things!

DayDreamer~

Picked: "People who have traits that I value the most."

If any part of someone's personality makes me happy, I automatically tend to find them attractive, emotionally and physically. Not like in any intense way but generally speaking, like the guy who sits across from me in one of my classes. He's funny, an amazing actor (he played the lead in a school play I saw last semester), and he has this really calm face all of the time (I also have a thing for gentle-looking faces). I can't help but find him attractive and I'm just glad that somehow my teacher ended up seating him right in front of me, haha. 

Back on topic, mostly if someone comes across to me as kind, cute or happy through their actions/words I tend to find them visually appealing as well. It goes hand-in-hand for me.

With people, aesthetic attraction is confusing for me. I don't really see people as good looking. I look at the severity in their eyes and smile. People who hide behind masks are usually the "popular" kids that I don't want to be around anyways. He probably doesn't like that I see it this way, but even with my BF i don't really have a concept of him looking good. I just see the way that his eyes smile when he looks at me and the sparkle he gets when he is really excited about something. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
ChihuahuaDaddy

For me, attraction is just something that happens.  I definitely have a type, but I can't explain why I find that particular type attractive.

For me, in real life, it is "People who have traits that I value the most.", because I have met some whom I've found initially pleasing visually, only to have that turn to dislike -sometimes even revulsion- after talking with them. One example was a man who had some physical characteristics I liked, but who turned out to have vicious racist and sexist views, which made my skin crawl.

On the fictional front, I have always found both the Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler characters to very aesthetically pleasing. ..especially their eyes :) 

On the celebrity front,  I find people like Viggo Mortensen very aesthetically pleasing, again because there is a centered goodness about him that radiates on his face and eyes, and he seems to live life by his own rhythm. 

Diamond Ace of Hearts
On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:39 AM, Graceful said:

I have no idea why I find people aesthetically attractive. They just are? I like their face or something.

Yeah, that. Isn't that how it works for everyone?

Archived